Return trip flexibility with Eurotunnel (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are off to France and Spain in mid March and planning to spend about 4 weeks away. My instructions from SHMBO is to use the tunnel because she does not fancy a ferry in March or April. I want to book a definite time and day out but leave the return flexible. We may come back a bit earlier or later depending upon whim and weather. But the cost of having a flexible return on Eurotunnel is ridiculous - £199 for the return leg alone.

So how do you more experienced travellers achieve this please?

I could just book the trip out and leave the return until a few days before I plan return, or on the day? If so how much does that cost? I have just checked for the rest of today's journeys and they are all listed at £196, so that seems to be extortionate.

If I book for the latest possible date back will Eurotunnel accept my ticket if I come back earlier, given that I am willing to wait a few hours to get on a train that is not fully booked up? I don't mind paying a little bit more for changing it if need be.

I may be able to persuade SHMBO to go on a ferry if the weather is good (= no wind). So how much are the ferries to just turn up and pay in April?

Many thanks for any help you can give me

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
well we just book one way and when we are ready to go home we book online for the following day.

Do not just turn up as they triple the price. Book online 24 hours prior to travelling:Smile:

We usually pay about £90 going over and the same coming back

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Channel Tunnel

We also just book a single each way. Cost around £90 for a lunchtime crossing.

Whilst returning from our last trip we booked our return just a few days before we turned for home but then showed up at the tunnel one day early.

It was only £8 extra to change our ticket, all completed at the entrance booths.

We have always found the tunnel operator Eurotunnel really easy to deal with and its never been any hassle if you are a little early or late on the day.

All in all they have always been painless to deal with. :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We also book a single each way. Just be careful that when you book your crossing back from France you choose the Calais to Folkestone route. I slipped up last year and inadvertently chose Folkestone to Calais only to be told when checking in that I would have to buy a new ticket at a cost of 250 euros!!
We refused to do this and drove to the nearest McDonalds, used their
Wi-Fi to book on line at a cost of 90 euros.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have always found Eurotunnel to be VERY flexible. In fact I can't recall a trip where we actually got on the train we booked!!! I think you only lose the ticket if you don't use it or change it within 24 hours (after the original crossing time). The ticket is valid for 12 months from the day that you BOOK it and you can change it as many times as you want within that period (and we have changed some tickets several times!!!) :RollEyes:

if you arrive a few hours early, you may be offered alternatives at check-in if space is available.

We have however sometimes decided to return several days early and either simply turned up, changed the ticket and paid the difference at the booth (in our case usually only a few pounds) or called the booking office to change it.

We now have a 10 trip frequent traveller account and get excellent value for money - 54 pounds each way plus dogs!

Fantastic service and I wouldn't consider crossing any other way with the dogs! ::bigsmile:

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Frequent traveller accounts valid for one year from opening account - so open one just before you need to travel. You can use the trips as singles or returns and they can originate in either country.

You can now share an account with one other nominated person - we share with my cousin who lives in France. We get 2 returns each and will have to fight for the last one! (actually its going to be first to need it will use it and then we will open up another account when either of us next need to go). :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back