Renault compared to Fiat (1 Viewer)

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi All,
I have been completely put off any motorhome based on the Fiat chassis due to the well publicised failings and am therefore seeking an alternative. Mercedes are too expensive for me. Ford now share some parts from Fiat/ Peugeot I am told.
That leads to Renault.
Can anyone tell me of the pros and cons of this make of base chassis compared to Fiat please.
Many Thanks
Wilbury

OP
OP
W

Wilbury

Deleted User
What about Iveco???

Hi dazzer,
A good point, can you or someone else give info on this chassis also.
I have to say that I have seen few motorhomes based on this model though, same with LDV.
Regards
Wilbury

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I can only speak for the van I own for work. Not the motorhome chassis (although they are all the same with just a different back on!!!)

We have 3 Ivecos ranging from the Extended long wheelbase 5 tonne panel van to the medium wheel base semi high roof from 2005 to 2007 models.

After many many attempts at finding a decent van manufacturer (Merc :Angry: were by far the worse!!!) we settled on Iveco.::bigsmile:

Not had any problems with them at all, servicing is reasonable, long service intervals, nice to drive, plenty of power and reasonable fuel consumption. They are also well built and built as a commercial vehicle should be (ie a bloody big chassis and everything built to carry 5 tonnes regardless of the weight plating of the vehicle with the exception of the springs!!).:thumb:

Biggest gripe is the windscreen wipers which have a built in washer nozzle and are expensive to replace but apart from that we love em!!":thumb:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
I have a Peugeot based motorhome OK for a while until the engine covers were fitted I got a bit fed up with Peugeot BUT now I am happy.
No leaks and if you are going to buy a brand new van now all covers should be in place they should have been there from the start and it looks then they omitted them as parts are in engine that they fit to.
There is a new motorhome that I would like next year and it will be on the Peugeot chassis and I think its a great cab drives like a car elec windows,steering control for radio/cd and a great layout.
When looking at the Renault it looks just like a van.

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The Renault Master is an excellent base vehicle with good reviews. Performance is excellent too - our Adria Vision is on a Renault Master and it's been a good performer so far, lots of guts, tows well, easy cruiser on the motorway, consumption . Don't think that any of the base vans are things of great beauty, they are commercial bases anyhow and meant to function well, not win beauty contests. As our van is an A class the base cab disappeared with the A class build so I couldn't care less what the cabs visual appeal is anyway - function so far seems really good, servicing intervals are long and there seem to be less complaints around than with the Fiat. Our 2005 Transit wasn't bad either, but we didn't have it long and a factory recall came after we partexchanged it for the Adria.:Cool:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
To be honest!
The best commercial diesel engine on the market at the moment is made by Isuzu!
In the plant industry nothing touches it for power or reliability!!
Not even CAT!
If i was throwing 30k at a motorhome the first thing i would want is an Isuzu conversion!

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Each to their own. DD, I don't believe there is any scientific study available proving whether Fiat, Renault, Isuzu or any other engine is "superior". Motorhome owners can give personal experience of base vehicles they have owned or driven, and most motorhomes do not easily lend themselves to engine transplants and conversions from multi-manufacturers - sounds like one for the Experimental Motorhome Racing Team rather then usual motorhome owners who just want a reliable, comfortable vehicle!. Plus, motorhomes don't (usually) have to perform the same duties as a piece of industrial plant . RVs are probably better bets for larger industrial-type engines.
Fiat bases seem to come in for numerous complaints on various forums, others including Renault rather less so, but this may partly be that a very large number of Fiat based motorhomes are sold in the UK with Renault units numering less.Main dealer service for virtually everything seems pretty substandard and expensive, though. Someone has to pay for the fancy showrooms!!:Eeek:

Laurie

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999
Fiat chassis

As a matter of interest I am on my second Fiat ALCO chassis, both with 2.8jtd engine and I can honestly say I have not had the least bit of trouble. The first was 2001 Hymer B574 which we loved but it was just not big enough to spend several months a year in. We now have a Hymer B654 which is the same layout but a metre longer which makes a huge difference to the living area. I had it "chipped" by TB Turbo in Lancaster (brilliant people to deal with), resulting in increased performance and slightly improved fuel consumption. I have previously owned VW and Talbot Peugot motorhomes. I can only speak as I find so I have no adverse comments about Fiat parts or service.
Best wishes
Tony

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
The 2.2 turbo in my Peugeot is made by Ford and in some Transits I have seen it fitted longitudinal to power rear wheels I believe its made in Dagenham.

So a French company that has its vans made in Italy fitting ford engines made in the UK and then the chassis is shipped back to Uk for motorhome conversion.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here we go,my thoughts.Iveco & renault share the same Soffin Italian made engines witch also have a finger in fiat & ford along the way (or should that be the other way around):ROFLMAO:My iveco is called ford iveco but everything to do with it is fiat.Ford made there own unbustable engines coupled to a rather weak g/box (tranny)but now had a input in the new pug / cit / fiat / ford engine which are all basicaly the same.VW & merc do there own versions of again what is the same van.Ldv had pug engines -unloved- but in 97 put older version of tranny engine in.They now are a rebadged deawoo vans (owned by gm/vauxhall)Other vans are rebagged versions of the any of the above.They all have faults but essenualy the pug/cit /fiat were made with the M/H industry in mind hence wider chasis etc,and the big plus is they are cheap :ROFLMAO:
terry

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Fiat chassis

As a matter of interest I am on my second Fiat ALCO chassis, both with 2.8jtd engine and I can honestly say I have not had the least bit of trouble. The first was 2001 Hymer B574 which we loved but it was just not big enough to spend several months a year in. We now have a Hymer B654 which is the same layout but a metre longer which makes a huge difference to the living area. I had it "chipped" by TB Turbo in Lancaster (brilliant people to deal with), resulting in increased performance and slightly improved fuel consumption. I have previously owned VW and Talbot Peugot motorhomes. I can only speak as I find so I have no adverse comments about Fiat parts or service.
Best wishes
Tony

Couldn’t agree more with you about the 2.8jtd, I did 70k in mine and not a murmur, but from 2006 onwards the newer Fiats/Peugeot seem to be nothing but problems, I’ve got the 655 on a Mercedes base and prefer that to the newer Peugeot/Fiat base vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back