LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, read in the free motorhome mag from Asda that the awning should be sealed to the body of the van once fitted. Mine hasn't been and I'm thinking of doing this to stop some of the streaking. Would you advise Silkaflex?:eek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Ken&Steph
Yes thats the stuff if you must, It is news to me though, Awning failures are common and you have to think about future removal or maintanence
have you thought about a drip rail (J Rail) over the top of the Awning.
Geo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, read in the free motorhome mag from Asda that the awning should be sealed to the body of the van once fitted. Mine hasn't been and I'm thinking of doing this to stop some of the streaking. Would you advise Silkaflex?:eek:

The one I had fitted on my Bessacarr was already sealed with a flexible seal, probably Silkaflex or similar, The only other one I had was in a recess so it wasn't really necessary but I never noticed if it was sealed or not.

I would go ahead with Silkaflex, it cant do any harm, just get a nice finish with a damp cloth, I've seen fitters using a bit of white spirit (I think it was white spirit) to go over the bead just before it goes off to get a nice finish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Jim more or less what I was thinking, can't do any harm. It's nice to check with others though. ::bigsmile:

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
i was going to buy those strips of drip stuff for the awning but if folks think that sikaflex would be ok then will use that stuff......i use it on the boat and is good stuff for sure
Link Removed

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
i was going to buy those strips of drip stuff for the awning but if folks think that sikaflex would be ok then will use that stuff......i use it on the boat and is good stuff for sure
Link Removed

I was going to look for those strips at Malvern till I read the article on awning fitting in the free mag and thought sealant would be just as effective. Also I imagine using Silkaflex will make it more secure?

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I was going to look for those strips at Malvern till I read the article on awning fitting in the free mag and thought sealant would be just as effective. Also I imagine using Silkaflex will make it more secure?

yes that was my other consideration, the only issue will be if the gap is too big between the motorhome and the awning, if this is the case then the sealant will drop down if not careful

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
sharp knife downt he centre of the join will have it sorted in seconds, then the fun of removing the old sealant if you have keyed it tooooooo well

Link Removed

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Ken
I think this http://www.fiammastore.com/AwninAcc6.htm is what you need mate.
Sikaflex will certainly seal the awning to the side of the van but it sticks like hell, if the awning ever needed to be removed it would be a mamoth task and would possibly damage the side wall and bend the awning case.

Good luck

Keith

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
Hi Ken
I think this http://www.fiammastore.com/AwninAcc6.htm is what you need mate.
Sikaflex will certainly seal the awning to the side of the van but it sticks like hell, if the awning ever needed to be removed it would be a mamoth task and would possibly damage the side wall and bend the awning case.

Good luck

Keith

sikaflex is around 10 quid a tube and for a 5.5 to 6m awning you would need 1-2 tubes depending on the size of the gap

i might go down the sikaflex route as the other stuff will be 36 quid plus del

it does stick really well so getting it off would be fun

slit down the middle with a sharp knife then remvoe the awning, then trim off with a sharp blade

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the replies. Keith I'll take a look at the Fiama solution it looks good. ::bigsmile:

oilman

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
15 months
Recently bought the rubber sealing strip from Fiamma but have not got round to fitting it yet, also not sure how to. Does it just wedge into place?

Brambles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Tayside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Oilman,
Yes, the sealing strip just pushes into place like a wedge. The semi circular dip in the seal matches the awning extrusion, and the flat side goes against the van. Yo may need a little soapy water to help get it in smoothly and perfectly straight. Then seal the ends if the seal extrusion with a little silicon sealant or mastic. When fitting seal try and compress it along the length a little, and do not stretch it. It really is remarkably easy to fit and thank goodness you did not go down the Silka route.

Brambles.

Last edited:

oilman

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
15 months
Thanks for the info Brambles.