step issue (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Help please, our electric step (Apollo 2000) fitted on our 08 Hymer, works fine, but the sensor to say it is in must be faulty, the control panel will not stop flashing and beeping, driving us and the dog bonkers even with the radio turned up

I am useless at DIY and if it cant be fixed with WD40 I wont take it on!! I presume it must have a switch of some kind to detect the step is retracted, I have looked but cant see anything obvious, or any accumulation of dirt etc

As I do not think I am going to fix it, does anybody have any idea how to turn off the control panel while we are travelling until I can get it looked at by somebody who knows what they are doing

Biggest issue we could not be much further from home, just arrived in Durness, it was fine on our journey to Grantown a few days ago, it has been cold but things have warmed up again now

David

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Usually it is muck in a connector, so check again and pull any apart, clean with contact cleaner- not WD40, sorry, and put them together again and test. Other than this not sure, but worth a try.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Usually it is muck in a connector, so check again and pull any apart, clean with contact cleaner- not WD40, sorry, and put them together again and test. Other than this not sure, but worth a try.

Is a jet wash good enough? my kind of cleaning. To get to connectors I need to be under MH, this involves direct contact with wet and cold ground and I still might not see what is wrong unless it happens to be glowing!

I reckon a sock or towel taped over the control panel might just do it till we get home, just need to check mirrors to make sure I really have retracted step, used to depend on the beeps!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Is there some crap or a stone or something stopping the step from being [HI]fully [/HI]retracted?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is there some crap or a stone or something stopping the step from being [HI]fully [/HI]retracted?

It must be something simple like a blockage or a broken sensor. I feel obliged to have a better look in daylight again tomorrow, hopefully I will find a stone or similar

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a very common fault with road dirt building up on the limit switch. a jetwash with step open jetting at the back and between steps may well do the job.

failing that google for a local auto electrician and get your wallet out

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
its a very common fault with road dirt building up on the limit switch. a jetwash with step open jetting at the back and between steps may well do the job.

failing that google for a local auto electrician and get your wallet out

Thanks, I am unlikely to find a jet wash up here, not sure that Google can do much for us so far off the beaten track, the tea towel might have to be the answer till we get home, I did try driving through puddles today, nothing has changed as of yet

Just in case anybody is local and knows better I am in Durness, Highlands, any auto electrics man who can fix us will save my sanity on the drive home. 500 miles of beeping and flashing might just send me over the edge

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It may not be electrical at all. :Smile:

For example, on our MH, it was the handbrake cable to the rear brake drums, that caused the step not to house fully, thereby causing the warning buzzer to sound when the engine was started. Admittedly, older technology, but it might be worth a try.
When stood outside the habitation door, engage the step retraction switch, whilst giving the underside of the step a bit of an upward boost with your left or right foot, depending upon preference. :winky:
This will help the step to retract fully, (as well as compressing the microswitch fully), thereby disengaging the sensor/alarm/buzzer. :thumb:

BTW, WD40 is fine as a releasing or ant-icorrosion agent, but not as a lubricant. :Sad:

Good luck with it.

Jock.

P.S. I couldn't identify an Apollo 2000 electric step, even when adding Autotrail to the search. :Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as for stoping the beeping over night or driving home, just pull the fuse out

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi David,

There is some info about location of fuses if you google "Hymer electric step problem" it is on the wild camping forum from 2011.

Probably no help ......but maybe it will turn off the noise, or reset it if you manage to flush it clean.

All the best.

Janet

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
We have had our present Hymer for 12 years and its a regular job to use the hose on high pressure under the double step. Then when its dried off give the connectors a good dose of WD and Bingo! away it goes.
Always a problem in the winter with all the crud off the roads.
Best Regards Mac

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
J & G Sutherland, the garage ,crescent St, halkirk , Caithness 01847 831208

Give these guys a phone not sure for detonate but probably about 15 miles from Furness
Worth a try

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good luck with it.

Jock.

P.S. I couldn't identify an Apollo 2000 electric step, even when adding Autotrail to the search. :Sad:

Not sure now where I dreamt up the Apollo bit, somewhere between going out to read the name and getting back to type it, the name changed from Project (correct name) to Apollo!!

Thanks for other advice will be giving it a kick in a bit

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its a beautiful day up here, blue skies and sunshine, off to look / spend money at craft centre, then further investigate step

Fuses always worry me, what else is on the same circuit, handbook is next to useless as it covers all models

Will be adopting the foot assist method later

Thanks to all for input, it really helps to have additional opinions :thumb:

David

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
David,

Which is your model of step? They look very similar to Omnistor Thule models.

With the step deployed, check the operation of the microswitch by hand, whilst the buzzer is sounding. If that has the desired effect, where retraction of the step doesn't, you may have to adjust the microswitch, or it's point of contact with the step framework. This is assuming that the step's movement isn't being restricted in any way, as I suggested earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David,

Which is your model of step? They look very similar to Omnistor Thule models.

With the step deployed, check the operation of the microswitch by hand, whilst the buzzer is sounding. If that has the desired effect, where retraction of the step doesn't, you may have to adjust the microswitch, or it's point of contact with the step framework. This is assuming that the step's movement isn't being restricted in any way, as I suggested earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock

I am now quite a lot more informed but no further forward. I have been underneath, can't add any more to the model than earlier Project 2000 and Hymer are the only logos

But I have now found the microswitch, it looks like a short pencil, rubber covered with a round end that I can feel a click when pressed. It does not stop the beeper though when pressed

Quite a job even to check this though, the controller beeps due to mains hook up, sorted that, then beeps due to door open, then you can't hear the beeper with door shut and engine running (beeper does not come on with just ignition, engine has to be running)

Alignment of the switch looks perfect, when step closed is makes good contact anyway.

I have a found a taped up connector in the wiring above the step area, wary about taking this apart, worried the power to the step might be lost, then will be stuck in or out!! It feels like you can push the step manually, do you think this might damage the motor?

I am now resigned to muffling it with a tea towel for journey home then having it looked at with annual service which is due when we get back.

Not keen to remove fuse as not sure what else might be lost with it, knowing my luck it will be critical

David

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, David, sounds like you may have found the problem- the microswitch should cancel the buzzer when pressed. Looks like you will need a new switch. Can you remove the wires and join them together? this should cancel the buzzer and prove the switch is caput.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
mended

It has only gone and fixed itself, an unusual lucky break for me, more likely to have mended itself while being handled by a £100 / hour technician

Only difference was Bev was driving for the first time, lets see what happens again tomorrow when I drive next

I still hope that my fiddling around underneath with your guidance was the real fix, why it delayed working till today who will ever know

Thanks for all contributions :thumb:

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back