Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thought these might be of use

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXSPqyPDZJs&list=PLsY3YDrAIIJlhCubMU52ld8u7xr90FU-r"]Van driver's walkaround check - Part 1: Outside the van - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyp2LeuceGE&list=PLsY3YDrAIIJlhCubMU52ld8u7xr90FU-r"]Van driver's walkaround check - Part 2: Inside the van - YouTube[/ame]

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
He lost me when he tries to check wheel nut security by hand. :Eeek: They might feel tight by hand but would still be insecure for the stresses on the wheel while driving. IMHO. I presume this is an Expert? :Doh:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
He lost me when he tries to check wheel nut security by hand. :Eeek: They might feel tight by hand but would still be insecure for the stresses on the wheel while driving. IMHO. I presume this is an Expert? :Doh:

That's the point I stopped watching the video :Doh:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Suah an expert he can check wheel nuts by hand,the mind boggles:Eeek:in a word utter bulls..t

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
there is sum useful information for someone who has never driven a van surprising watt you can notes on a walk round check
even wheel nuts getting a visual can you tell
I see signs of lose well nuts on vehicles regularly can you tell just by looking:thumb:
geo will be abill to explain nice vids geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
there is sum useful information for someone who has never driven a van surprising watt you can notes on a walk round check
even wheel nuts getting a visual can you tell
I see signs of lose well nuts on vehicles regularly can you tell just by looking:thumb:
geo will be abill to explain nice vids geo

Tis indeed a sad testament to the lack of knowledge of those who have poo pood the wheel nut check
Its only goes to prove how important the video is.

How did you check your wheel nuts this morning?

Dont answer that

Cos you didn't check them at all:Doh:
Those with no knowledge will appreciate the videos

Those with a good knowledge will understand the videos

Those with very limited knowledge will poo poo the videos
Geo

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
This is something I always do, got it from pilots who always do a walk around the planes before taxiing to the runway.

I even do it after parking after being told about your tyres getting interfered with while you are shopping.

How many times have you seen vans drive off with vents open or electric still attached and the numpties that drive along with the Sat. dish still up? :Eeek:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I dont Pooboo the situation,i just look and see utter bull,in my day as a qualified mechanic,thats time served,before coming a full time fireman,we were always taught to check with a small toffee hammer or a large spanner and just tap the wheel nuts, you just cannot check the tightness by hand Not unless your Bionic:ROFLMAO:and you as a proffs can see that,and yes all good motorist's should check these at least once aweek,the you tube brought up some good points and iam not knocking that BUT the hand wheel nut check again is utter Bulls..t,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I must own up and I'm a bit OCD about it. Always check around the car/van when I drive. takes a few seconds really. I also check the brake/rear lights in the mirror when stopped in traffic - you can see the reflection, though many canbus vehicles now will tell you when a lamp fails (and my car is all LED rear lights anyway)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Surely the films were only meant to illustrate simple every day checks for something obvious, not an in depth examination.

Like Keith, I always check round the van before we move off, just to make sure I haven't missed something like the corner steadies (usually put the handle over the pedals but sometimes forget).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I usually have a walk round the van before moving off and we check all the windows and rooflights. Once drove off with a window not secure, got up to 30 mph and looked in the mirror to see the window slowly climbing to a horizontal position. Only did that once!

Rgds
Bill

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Thanks Geo.
Just got that through today.

The video is issued by VOSA and is aimed at all van drivers.
It's about daily walk round checks, not MOT inspections.

Wheel nut security obviously cant be checked fully without a torque wrench, (how many of the poo poo-ers use one daily?) but physical signs can be apparent.

Disturbed paint?
Uneven wheel stud threads showing?
If aligners are used, any out of alignment?

Checking by hand will only tell you if the nuts are in immediate danger of failure, but that check alone has value.

Don't dismiss the advice given on the premise that it's rubbish and VOSA know nothing.
You will find different if you have a run in with them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It is a good video. As far as I can see Its not a weekly check by a mechanic; Its a pre-drive - walk round check for a commercial driver. They are just checking for missing or obviously insecure Wheel nuts and for that fingers or the mark 1 eyeball will do.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I've always (before going away) checked the wheel nuts with a bar and tyre pressures - I do this as the Wife is loading the kit as she will not let me anywhere near that chore.:roflmto:

I take tyres and wheel nuts serious and once away, when arrived, I have a quick check around (just in case I have to get anything). However I always have a walk around check every time before setting off, mirrors, lights, tyres, lockers, ehu etc, only takes a few minutes before setting off but gives me confidence for our next adventure.

I think the videos produced by the past VOSA do give a 'broad brush' overview of what should be checked - one could think of it as if those wheelnuts did turn by hand then the owner would be in a 'better' position than gleefully driving off without any check and taking half the M6 with him.
:Eeek:

Trikeman. :winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont Pooboo the situation,i just look and see utter bull,in my day as a qualified mechanic,thats time served,before coming a full time fireman,we were always taught to check with a small toffee hammer or a large spanner and just tap the wheel nuts, you just cannot check the tightness by hand Not unless your Bionic:ROFLMAO:and you as a proffs can see that,and yes all good motorist's should check these at least once aweek,the you tube brought up some good points and iam not knocking that BUT the hand wheel nut check again is utter Bulls..t,

I as a professional saw that a visual/ hand inspection was 1000% better than none at all

Suprised and disapointed
You as a qualified Mech should see that also, especially with Safety being your byword as a Fireman:Doh: or do you have a Gung Ho attitude in all situations

And before im accused of being superman
I have failed to check wheel nuts on a daily basis, ive left sat dishes up, and driven off, ive even pulled a hook up post out
Its a reminder and sound advice, feel free to ignore it

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above, Surely a visual check is better than no check at all.............

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tis indeed a sad testament to the lack of knowledge of those who have poo pood the wheel nut check
Its only goes to prove how important the video is.

How did you check your wheel nuts this morning?

Dont answer that

Cos you didn't check them at all:Doh:
Those with no knowledge will appreciate the videos

Those with a good knowledge will understand the videos

Those with very limited knowledge will poo poo the videos
Geo

Spot On :thumb:
I was amazed on a recent m/bike trip to Alasksa how little knowledge some people have and the chances they take. We met up with a couple of Americans and rode with them for a few days. One had a puncture 500 miles from anywhere and had no idea how to fix it or any kit and was prepared to spend thousands of dollars and wait days to get rescued :whatthe::whatthe:

Guess who ended up doing it for them ::bigsmile:

Good videos Geo especially for those with little or no knowledge. :thumb::thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A tip I picked up many years ago was to put a blob of nail varnish on the nut where it meets the wheel. A quick visual inspection will then tell you if one has come loose.

I would do this now but don't have a woman who I can steal nail varnish off :ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its always a good idea to walk round before moving off.... BUT its a better idea to walk round after a hard drive whilst leaving the engine ticking over and cooling down. I always do a walkround before shutting the engine down, checking underneath for any oil, water or fuel leaks. Any tyre damage will show up better when the tyres are hot and any brakes that maybe dragging or wheel bearings on the way out will be noticeable when hot. Rust stains around wheel nuts are a sure sign of loose wheel nuts. Bike racks etc for security and fixings and any trailer that's being towed including the coupling should also be checked at the same time. Old habits die hard, but those habits are there for a reason. The times I have seen motorhomers stop on motorway services and just switch a hot engine off and put the kettle on without a two minute walkround :Doh:.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Its always a good idea to walk round before moving off.... BUT its a better idea to walk round after a hard drive whilst leaving the engine ticking over and cooling down. I always do a walkround before shutting the engine down, checking underneath for any oil, water or fuel leaks. Any tyre damage will show up better when the tyres are hot and any brakes that maybe dragging or wheel bearings on the way out will be noticeable when hot. Rust stains around wheel nuts are a sure sign of loose wheel nuts. Bike racks etc for security and fixings and any trailer that's being towed including the coupling should also be checked at the same time. Old habits die hard, but those habits are there for a reason. The times I have seen motorhomers stop on motorway services and just switch a hot engine off and put the kettle on without a two minute walkround :Doh:.
that the answer I was looking for Rust stains around wheel nuts or signs of fine metal filings mark 1 eye ball will pick that up
bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A tip I picked up many years ago was to put a blob of nail varnish on the nut where it meets the wheel. A quick visual inspection will then tell you if one has come loose.

I would do this now but don't have a woman who I can steal nail varnish off :ROFLMAO:
tipex dues the same job:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

permanent marker pen as used to write on cd or dvds would do the same job

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back