Is the 'fun' going to be there? :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there should be a meet but i think a few of the die-hards will still be in morroco.
it is still two months away though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Im going, booked months ago. Got the discount using forum. so come on, we can have a meet under the banner, cant we.
MoterHome Fun Forever.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Just checked my receipt and it states; Camping Area, Club, (Motorhome Fun).
So we are alocated a spot.
As I said I am there, well will be.:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
we want to go, when I spoke to Jim at Lincoln it appears he was looking for a marshall or sherrif. if some one takes the bull by the horns then put us down. I would do it myself but cant get there until Friday pm.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Bump

Still no comment from the powers that be. Too far North now is it? :Sad:

Guess no one wants to be 'Sheriff' ..... do we need a sheriff?

I promiss not to bring my Smith & Weston. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just a word of advice, "Fun" may be there, but trade stands and dealers will be sparse. I have asked loads of the traders I know if they will be at Pickering and it is a big no!

We (Van Bitz) always do York, (so going North isn't a problem) but we have been told that Pickering is a poor showground as it is either way too dusty, or, with the lightest of rain a mud bath.

Access is poor, through a small town with traffic problems, and, more worrying there is a problem with theft normally due to a large traveller camp in the area. One trader told me that the last time they exhibited there, he and his three staff spent most of their time facing their stock and equipment in an attempt to stop it walking off!

I spoke to another trader that travels all around the country, attending motorhome shows, and he is on the doorstep at Pickering. He even knows the showground owners and he told me that there is no way he will be attending!

I know the show rallies are not just about buying things from the traders, but the same problems that have put the mockers on it, as far as the majority, of the experienced traders, will affect ralliers as well.:Sad:

Last edited:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Just a word of advice, "Fun" may be there, but trade stands and dealers will be sparse. I have asked loads of the traders I know if they will be at Pickering and it is a big no!

We (Van Bitz) always do York, (so going North isn't a problem) but we have been told that Pickering is a poor showground as it is either way too dusty, or, with the lightest of rain a mud bath.

Access is poor, through a small town with traffic problems, and, more worrying there is a problem with theft normally due to a large traveller camp in the area. One trader told me that the last time they exhibited there, he and his three staff spent most of their time facing their stock and equipment in an attempt to stop it walking off!

I spoke to another trader that travels all around the country, attending motorhome shows, and he is on the doorstep at Pickering. He even knows the showground owners and he told me that there is no way he will be attending!

I know the show rallies are not just about buying things from the traders, but the same problems that have put the mockers on it, as far as the majority, of the experienced traders, will affect ralliers as well.:Sad:

Hi,

Living local I can confirm what Eddie has stated.:Sad:

When the show was moved from York I checked out the showground, actually it's called the "Northern Events Centre" not the Pickering Showground.

At the moment there is only one entrance to the site and the few tarmac roads are in a very poor condition.:Sad:

Also it's the week after the Shepton show which does not help.:Sad:

An obvious choice would have been the Harrogate show ground.:thumb:

Don

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks like they are going to catch a cold on this one. However a lot of traders had already booked and paid a deposit before they learned of the location change so I am sure it won't be deserted.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Looks like they are going to catch a cold on this one. However a lot of traders had already booked and paid a deposit before they learned of the location change so I am sure it won't be deserted.

Hi Jim,

Another point worth remembering is the close proximity to Flamingo land, if the weather is fine it could be chaos with day visitors to both locations. :Eeek::Eeek:

Don

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Not to mention the North Yorks Moors Railway and Eden Camp :Smile:

Graham

Hi Graham,

The attendance at Lincoln was down 50%, the Camping & Caravan Club were conspicuous by there absences.:Sad:

Some small traders at the show did not even cover there expenses. :Eeek:

Looking around the forums Malvern is not looking much brighter.:Sad:

Don

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,

The attendance at Lincoln was down 50%, the Camping & Caravan Club were conspicuous by there absences.:Sad:

Some small traders at the show did not even cover there expenses. :Eeek:

Looking around the forums Malvern is not looking much brighter.:Sad:

Don

I suppose the current economic climate could be putting some people off buying motorhomes. Leisure industries are one area where it is possible for some people to cut back, or spend on alternatives, without total enjoyment being significantly reduced.

We will be at the Festival of History at Kelmarsh Hall this coming weekend so it will be interesting to see if attendances are similarly hit there.

Graham

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I know of several traders who will not be attending, not because of the distance but for the reasons Don and Eddie have mentioned, that coupled with the fact that the pitch fees quoted were the same as those at York Racecourse.

I was told by another trader that they were offering hefty discounts to vehicle dealers (allegedly) to fill space at Lincoln but would not extend the offer to non-vehicle traders.....the trader concerned has pulled out of the Pickering show as a result. I am sure if this is the case then there will be others who will be considering the same action :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just spoke to my bro about the showground and it seems it is not too good.

he's been to different shows here and he said yes it is a dust bowl when its dry and a mud bath when its wet.

he cant figure out where the campsite is as the arena isnt big enough for the number of vans that will attend and all the day visitors cars.

might go as a day visitor this year to sus it out as its only 20miles from us.

if theres any other events here in the near future i'll go and check it out.

i think the organisers have dropped a bo**ck with this one.

john.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
just found a site map and it dont look that big to me.

Link Removed

Hi John,

Hre's a link to the site N54.22775 W0.77157 - Google Maps

The Camping & Caravan Club are having their "Feast of the Lanterns rally" in August and they expect 3000 units.:Eeek:

We had a look around the rally field and there's more space than appears. I also spoke to the rally marshal of the C&CC rally that was on at the time and he seems to think they can make an entrance/exit on the A170 Pickering to Helmsley road but I'm not sure.

Don

Lexy Traveller

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Funster No
Exp
just started
Hi there
can you post a link for the show that you are all discussing here?

I am new to all this and at first thought you were all talking about the National Feats of Lanterns Rally that the CCC are holding there in agust - which we hope to go to and was looking forward to meeting all those who say here they are booked but after reading the last few posts realised that its not the NFOL that you are discussing...
yours sincerely
CONFUSED.COM!!:ROFLMAO:

will start new thread about NFOL would love to meet up with funsters if possible

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Its the Pickering show Lexy......formerly the York show (until the locals kicked off and had it shut down) :RollEyes:
Link Removed

Interestingly enough, there isn't much chat going on about it on Warners own forum :Cool:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Pickering

.:Sad:

Just booked.:thumb:

Pity I didn't read the forum first.:cry:

No matter, it is our first time with the funsters.....:RollEyes:..... please don't be shy, come and introduce yourselves.

Or we may have to retreat back to the CC line.

See You There :winky:

June and Dave

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
" Originally Posted by eddievanbitz View Post

We (Van Bitz) always do York, (so going North isn't a problem) but we have been told that Pickering is a poor showground as it is either way too dusty, or, with the lightest of rain a mud bath."

If it keeps raining like this it will be more than a mud bath & more like a lake, anyone taking their fishing pole. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back