Comfort insurance-Is this a recent policy change? (1 Viewer)

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Hi,, just had a renewal reminder from Comfort, and read it all today, and it states low down the page,

"Please note as from renewal , if you intend to store your motohome for a period in excess of 36 hours at a
address other than the storage address disclosed to us you must tell us immediatly. Fail to notify us may result in
your policy being void or the claim being repudiated. "

Is this a recent thing? Cover is by Aviva. Now, when I bring it home from storage to prepare for lift off, I usually need more than a day and a half, more so after winter storage what with having drained down and checking systems etc. especially as I work shifts. It's not a case of it being ok for more than 36 hours if they are advised, but it is [I]not[/I] covered at all. I have to leave it on the street as my drive is not big enough. There is no facility at the storage location to do this work either.

Has anyone else clocked this, or found an insurer who is not so restrictive about this? Otherwise, I am OK with the cover and service, and the price (£292 for a Burstner i821 inc. Euro recovery, 2 drivers, CASSOA gold storage).
Hmmm!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have Safeguard insurance. They have approved 3 locations for my van - on the street outside my home, in a friend's driveway 10 mins walk away, and also at a storage site ten miles away. They are very helpful.

Catherine

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have read that before But thought it related to when the vehicle was not in UK.. Give us an update when you can...:thumb:

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Update... Comfort tell me in no uncertain terms, that due to the size of the vehice (i821 Bursty) it will NOT be covered if on the street for over 36h. Period. Tried Safeguard, who want £480 for same cover (but offer £100 cashback after 90 days), but advise it is OK on the street as long as they are advised. So think it will be back to Comfort, who in other respects are perfectly fine.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How about when it's parked on a site if you go off for a couple of days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi,, just had a renewal reminder from Comfort, and read it all today, and it states low down the page,

"Please note as from renewal , [HI]if you intend to store your motohome[/HI] for a period in excess of 36 hours at a
address other than the storage address disclosed to us you must tell us immediatly. Fail to notify us may result in

Is this a recent thing? Cover is by Aviva. Now, when I bring it home from storage to prepare for lift off, I usually need more than a day and a half, more so after winter storage what with having drained down and checking systems etc. especially as I work shifts. It's not a case of it being ok for more than 36 hours if they are advised, but it is [I]not[/I] covered at all. I have to leave it on the street as my drive is not big enough. There is no facility at the storage location to do this work either.

Has anyone else clocked this, or found an insurer who is not so restrictive about this? Otherwise, I am OK with the cover and service, and the price (£292 for a Burstner i821 inc. Euro recovery, 2 drivers, CASSOA gold storage).
Hmmm!

I would suggest that "store" means the van is not in use and being left unattended. If it is right outside your house, and you are in and out every day preparing the van, I would deem that the van is in use. I would ask them to clarify this.
After all if you pitch up anywhere campsite etc, and leave the van for over 36 hours, there has to be a definition between stored and in use.

Our cover is through Caravan Club, but also with Aviva. Last year I enquired as to the cost difference between keeping the van in secure indoor storage 5 miles away where it had been, or on the street outside my house. The premium was £10 cheaper parked at home on the street, compared to in the secure storage. :Eeek:
We do have a drive, but if I put the van there it blocks everything else up, so on the street outside is more convenient.

This years renewal due at the end of the month is about £60 a year lower, still parked outside on the street at home. We have quite a high "postcode" for insurance, I am still a "relative" youngster and the premium is only £220 a year.:thumb:

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Hi Callumwa,,, they were quite specific when I asked about it, in which case I, for preference if making this stipulation myself, would use the term 'left' or 'parked' on the street, NOT 'stored'. I get the issue you raise about when away in it, but that is not 'on street', as you are presumably on a site. (Impact on wildcamping?). It may be wise to check for a definitive answer re your policy, as it is an Aviva thing, not the brokers'.
If you do, please let us know. Meanwhile, I could bring it home for 36h, back to storage, and back for another 36, presumably. Would this be enforcible then? Seems not properly thought out to me. But hey, they're insurers! (Related to bankers most likey,lol). Cheers!!

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Storage​
Your motor caravan​
will be considered to be stored or in storage when it is not in use for the purposes of travel or other day-to-day activity.
Exclusions to Section I of your policy
Cover in respect of fire or theft whilst
your motor caravan is in storage, unless
a)
your motor caravan is stored at your
private address; or
b)
Your motor caravan is stored on the
private driveway of a close friend or
relative, provided that it forms part of
their property (subject to acceptance of
postcode)
c)
your motor caravan is stored in a
securely locked and alarmed building; or
d)
securely fenced and locked storage
compound with the following minimum
protection; or
i) security lighting
ii) mobile security patrols and/or a
resident caretaker or operator of the
storage compound whose private
dwelling house is immediately
adjacent to the sole access point to
the storage compound.
e) Your
motor caravan is stored at a

CASSOA gold facility.

In addition to the minimum cover, full cover as
described by your policy applies in all countries as
defined in the​
Territorial Limits provided:
your motor caravan is kept in Great Britain,
Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the
Isle of Man
• use of
your motor caravan for visits to countries
outside Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the
Channel Islands and the Isle of Man is not of a
permanent nature
the vehicle remains in your custody or control.
If for any reason your vehicle will not be within
your custody or control for a period in excess of
36 hours, then
you must notify Comfort
Insurance in advance. Please refer to Section I
of this policy for information on security of

stored vehicles

The above is from the Red book that comes with a Comfort Policy. The one I quote from is
SMOMG2381 v30 01.2011

So in reply to the OP this was in effect in 2011

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi Callumwa,,, they were quite specific when I asked about it, in which case I, for preference if making this stipulation myself, would use the term 'left' or 'parked' on the street, NOT 'stored'. I get the issue you raise about when away in it, but that is not 'on street', as you are presumably on a site. (Impact on wildcamping?). It may be wise to check for a definitive answer re your policy, as it is an Aviva thing, not the brokers'.
If you do, please let us know. Meanwhile, I could bring it home for 36h, back to storage, and back for another 36, presumably. Would this be enforcible then? Seems not properly thought out to me. But hey, they're insurers! (Related to bankers most likey,lol). Cheers!!

Comfort are the main insurance broker for AVIVA. If you go onto the AVIVA website and put in Motor Caravan Insurance it will redirect you to Comforts site.

MHFacts insurance through Aviva is in the same office as Comfort ie. Victor Millwall Insurance Brokers,

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When I had a caravan the same rule applied years ago , I was supposed to ring the broker to inform them of the change even for one night, I just applied then for my home to be another storage location on the policy, that was fine.
Another thing to watch, I took a caravan into Broad Lane for a service for which I was leaving it overnight, they tried to get me to sign a disclaimer stating that they would not insure it and it would have to be covered on my caravan insurance, I rang the broker after speaking to the Insurance company the answer was............. no insurance.
Most locations are considered on Post Code, if you have a high incidence of vehicle theft in your post code area roadside parking may be a problem

Dave

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Update... Comfort tell me in no uncertain terms, that due to the size of the vehice (i821 Bursty) it will NOT be covered if on the street for over 36h. Period. Tried Safeguard, who want £480 for same cover (but offer £100 cashback after 90 days), but advise it is OK on the street as long as they are advised. So think it will be back to Comfort, who in other respects are perfectly fine.

comfort wont insure motorhomes "stored" on the street. now even if you are staying at friends and parking overnight outside theirs, comfort wont insure you if its over 36 hours onstreet parking.

There are times when a service should take a day but for whatever reason it doesnt happen, as you havent informed the insurance company if something goes wrong they wont have to pay out because of the above clause. Just be careful folks

More and more insurers are putting in clauses in a bid to reduce the number of claims they have to pay out on.

I would suggest Comfort policy holders note this one too

Ive pasted from a posting above "If for any reason your vehicle will not be within your custody or control for a period in excess of
36 hours, then you must notify Comfort Insurance in advance."

I would suggest policyholders with this in their policy automatically contact their insurance when just before you leave your vehicle for servicing or other repairs with a garage

If the repair or servicing is not completed within the 36 hours (note it doesnt say working hours) and you dont contact them and something happens you will not be covered.

Last edited:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We do not have a drive so ours is always parked on street at home.

A few years back, I got a good quote from Whittlesey insurance brokers in Peterborough (can't remember how I got on to them) and have always got the best quote through them since. Contact details are 01733 208117, www.whittleseyinsurance.com. I've no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer:thumb:

The policy is currently with Highway, part of LV (has been for the past three years). A couple of years ago a passing car hit the back edge of the MH and took part of the bumper off along with the rear light. The claim was handled very well - they pursued the other driver (who denied full responsibility) and I eventually received all costs back, even the excess.

Phil

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
comfort insurence

Hi All how would they no how long its has been outside your house I am with comfort at the moment:Smile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

"Please note as from renewal , if you intend to store your motohome for a period in excess of 36 hours at a

Is this a recent thing? Cover is by Aviva. [HI]Now, when I bring it home from storage to prepare for lift off, I usually need more than a day and a half,[/HI] more so after winter storage what with having drained down and checking systems etc. especially as I work shifts. It's not a case of it being ok for more than 36 hours if they are advised, but it is [I]not[/I] covered at all. I have to leave it on the street as my drive is not big enough. There is no facility at the storage location to do this work either.

Hmmm!

Storage​

Your motor caravan
will be considered to be stored or in storage when it is not in use for the purposes of travel or other day-to-day activity.

Exclusions to Section I of your policy
Cover in respect of fire or theft whilst

your motor caravan is in storage, unless

a)

your motor caravan is stored at your

private address; or

b)

Your motor caravan is stored on the

private driveway of a close friend or

relative, provided that it forms part of
their property (subject to acceptance of
postcode)
c)

securely locked and alarmed building; or

d)

securely fenced and locked storage

compound with the following minimum
protection; or
i) security lighting
ii) mobile security patrols and/or a
resident caretaker or operator of the
storage compound whose private
dwelling house is immediately
adjacent to the sole access point to
the storage compound.
e) Your

motor caravan is stored at a
CASSOA gold facility.

In addition to the minimum cover, full cover as

described by your policy applies in all countries as
defined in the

Territorial Limits provided:

your motor caravan is kept in Great Britain,

Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the

Isle of Man
• use of

your motor caravan for visits to countries

outside Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the

Channel Islands and the Isle of Man is not of a
permanent nature

[HI]

the vehicle remains in your custody or control.

If for any reason your vehicle will not be within
your custody or control for a period in excess of
36 hours,

[/HI]
then

you must notify Comfort

Insurance in advance. Please refer to Section I

of this policy for information on security of

stored vehicles

The above is from the Red book that comes with a Comfort Policy. The one I quote from is
SMOMG2381 v30 01.2011

So in reply to the OP this was in effect in 2011

If you are loading/unloading then it is in your custody/control?? The 36 hours then commence each time you step out of it?​

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
What a minefield! Also, what a load of 'column dodgers'! These insureres are. Where will it go next?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back