LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi, My mum thinks most people touring abroad are under 70 . I beg to differ.

Don,t want to be rude and ask your age but if you frequently tour overseas and are over 70 can you please reply how long at a time does your trip last and who gives you a ygood insurance deal or do you use your European Health Card.?

Thanks

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Fair way off 70....

But just use the E11 card,,,, not had to yet... :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

If other EU citizens can come to the UK and get it for free,,,, whats good for the goose is good for me...:thumb:

A friend of ours went into a private (Insurance paid Hosp) for bowl cancer,, and picked up an infection... after weeks in intensive care where he nearly died... the insurance stopped payment, saying he had run out of money allocated... got transferred to a Spanish NHS type hospital... and within days he was on the mend and had better service than the £3K,,,,, yes,,, three thousand a day.. :Eeek: the private hosp was giving him...

In so much the NHS hosp (Spanish) were disgusted at what the private one had done to him... he is going home in a couple of days...

I might add this friend lives here in Spain..

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you meen you have no travel insureance at all, just paid mine at staysure £69 for the year I was wondering if I really needed it with the 111, but for that I thought it was maybe not worth not having it but if you put any conditions on it ,it soars.:Eeek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Travel insurance will cover things the E111 card won't, most importantly getting you back to the UK if you are seriously injured. How would you cope in your MH if you broke your thigh and the hospital discharged you after a week or so, pushing you out of the door in a wheelchair you had to buy yourself?

The E111 card will also only get you the standard of care citizens of the country you are in could expect. This might mean your relatives having to feed, wash you and do your laundry.

Personal choice of course but it isn't something I would scrimp on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I am 67 and when I looked at travel insurance I would have to declare my high BP as a pre existing condition. Now in the case of a stroke or heart attack they would have a get out or the premiums would be prohibitive.
Also I believe that being a member of the Caravan Club I could get them to drive me home. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Do you meen you have no travel insureance at all, just paid mine at staysure £69 for the year I was wondering if I really needed it with the 111, but for that I thought it was maybe not worth not having it but if you put any conditions on it ,it soars.:Eeek:

Just check the small print...

And what the ceiling is,,, for a pay out... There will be a limit...

Like all insurance company`s they don't like to pay out..:Angry:.. But they love to take your money...

Our friend was so ill,,,,, that to move him from he Don-Haime hosp to the Spanish NHS Hosp... he was so ill (With the infection),,, that Cruz Roca.. (Ambulance service) refused to carry him..

So his wife had to find another 3 days at £3k a day, till he had stabalised enough to be moved.. She could not put her hand on all of it.... so the private hospital made her sign a paper saying she would pay in due course. (Frightening, I calls it:Sad:)..

None of this is from a friend of a friend... from the horses mouth so`s to speak... It was from the people (Friends) that bought our Villa.. and happened the end of last year..

So please any body taking out private insurance,,,, check the small print and what the limit of any payout is... :thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am 67 and when I looked at travel insurance I would have to declare my high BP as a pre existing condition. Now in the case of a stroke or heart attack they would have a get out or the premiums would be prohibitive.
Also I believe that being a member of the Caravan Club I could get them to drive me home. :thumb:

I'm 66 and my blood pressure is taken in to account at that price

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
If as some have said.....

You just get chucked out after treatment, and unable to get back to the UK...

Isn`t that what the local English Consulate is for... to help get you repatriated.. ?

Anyway I watch Benidorm A&E... and the amount English people you see coming out of that hospital in a NHS wheelchair or on crutches... so doubt they would just throw you out... Would they... :winky:::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
travel insurance will cover things the e111 card won't, most importantly getting you back to the uk if you are seriously injured. How would you cope in your mh if you broke your thigh and the hospital discharged you after a week or so, pushing you out of the door in a wheelchair you had to buy yourself?

The e111 card will also only get you the standard of care citizens of the country you are in could expect. This might mean your relatives having to feed, wash you and do your laundry.

Personal choice of course but it isn't something i would scrimp on.

acsi will repatriate..,.busby...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Isn`t that what the local English Consulate is for... to help get you repatriated.. ?

Anyway I watch Benidorm A&E... and the amount English people you see coming out of that hospital in a NHS wheelchair or on crutches... so doubt they would just throw you out... Would they... :winky:::bigsmile:

YOU WILL GET NOTHING FREE WITH CONSULATE. They even charge you for phone calls home. BUSBY:Smile:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
I'm in my eighth decade, I have heart failure and travel to France, we came back from there a week ago, on a regular basis.

We had a summer holiday of a month in France last year and go there for shorter holidays whenever possible.

Being beyond 70 has made little difference except costing a fraction more for Travel Insurance.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense should have Travel Insurance and take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with them.

We used the EHIC at a Hospital in Fougéres a couple of years ago, my perfectly sober wife fell over and broke her finger, and we had to show her EHIC and they treated her straight away without us having to make any payment at the time.

We have travel insurance, on an annual multi-trip basis, with Insure for Travel Limited with cover level of Gold (Couple) – age between 65 to 74 year old – bought online.

There may be cheaper companies but this company seem to suit our requirements and unless we have a problem with them at a future date will almost certainly use them again when renewing in June.

:france::france::france:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

In Benidorm & Torrevieja Area
[HI]Try Contacting Age Concern[/HI].
They have hospital visitors and also publish a book from memory under Eu 5.00
which will help translate to spanish or from spanish, most health conditions.
However be aware that in Torrevieja Hospital at least a lot of staff can and will speak excellent English.:ROFLMAO:

One other thought families are usually allowed access to your ward and will be expected to help feed family members who are in:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
acsi will repatriate..,.busby...

Does it? Good value if they do at 4.95 Euros a year. On their website it only mentions third party insurance when you are staying at a campsite but it does say if you are injured you should contact their customer services. I would be interested if anyone has any experience of this service.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Travel insurance will cover things the E111 card won't, most importantly getting you back to the UK if you are seriously injured. How would you cope in your MH if you broke your thigh and the hospital discharged you after a week or so, pushing you out of the door in a wheelchair you had to buy yourself?

The E111 card will also only get you the standard of care citizens of the country you are in could expect. This might mean your relatives having to feed, wash you and do your laundry.

Personal choice of course but it isn't something I would scrimp on.

For the answer to that ? look at the ADAC thread currently on the forum and Garry's experience of a similar situation.
That's why we use ADAC

PS I should have said to the OP that I am over the magic 70 and still going strong (fingers crossed) and have no intention of giving up yet, still got more of the kids inheritance to spend :sin:

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's interesting. I assume you mean FlatPack's account of his experience in Sicily - took me a while to find it as the member "Garry" exists but has never posted.

I don't know the circumstances of that case but there is an old saying that if something is too good to be true it probably isn't. I am not doubting FP's experience but I wouldn't count on a motoring organisation covering my medical side. ADAC's service sounds a great backup and I will look at them when my current breakdown cover comes up for renewal (assuming they let me join!) but I will continue with a separate medical insurance policy. Will probably switch to AXA next as my current insurers don't cover cycle touring - something I only found out after doing several tours. Apparently it is classed as a dangerous activity. AXA cover it as part of their standard policy, one of the few which do. I arranged short term cover with them last year for a tour and they were very reasonable cost wise - age (61 at the time) and blood pressure taken into account.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back