Lenovo 10" tablet 16 gigs etc. (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I want to be dragged kicking and screaming into the present century !!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Will the above tablet assist me in my venture , any one got one and are they a good buy at £250 ?????:Cool::Cool::Cool:

It's got android, is that a disease ??:Blush::Blush::Blush:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It doesn't get great reviews, mostly because of the screen. If you want a big tablet I would look at the Google Nexus 10. But do you want a big tablet? If it is for looking at photos or reading magazines then fine, but for normal stuff a Google Nexus 7 would be better and it has the best screen at that size.

You will soon get used to Android. It was a work in progress for a while but is now sorted and with Google tablets you will always get the latest version.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I want to be dragged kicking and screaming into the present century !!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Why ?

You have a good laptop and know how to use it. So what extra do you expect a tablet to deliver ?

Basically the only advantage, which may be considerable, is portability.

We've got 3 Android tablets, 2 Android phones and 2 Windows laptops so you can see where I stand.

Two real choices - Apple ( pay a lot and be restricted in what you can do with it ) and Android ( pay almost anything from £50 and do whatever you want with it ). Microsoft, new kid who probably will never catch up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Why ?

You have [HI]a good laptop [/HI]and know how to use it. So what extra do you expect a tablet to deliver ?

Basically the only advantage, which may be considerable, is portability.

We've got 3 Android tablets, 2 Android phones and 2 Windows laptops so you can see where I stand.

Two real choices - Apple ( pay a lot and be restricted in what you can do with it ) and Android ( pay almost anything from £50 and do whatever you want with it ). Microsoft, new kid who probably will never catch up.

Brian, like myself, the laptop is knackered !:cry::cry::cry: it takes 8 minutes from start up to usability and the sound is terrible ! Time to move on !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It doesn't get great reviews, mostly because of the screen. If you want a big tablet I would look at the Google Nexus 10. But do you want a big tablet? If it is for looking at photos or reading magazines then fine, but for normal stuff a Google Nexus 7 would be better and it has the best screen at that size.

You will soon get used to Android. It was a work in progress for a while but is now sorted and with Google tablets you will always get the latest version.

I go for nexus 7 as well, had one over a year now never missed a beat::bigsmile: if you would want to use it for the excellent satnav , navfree, the 10in is too big for your windscreen, but the seven perfect, and really I think they are both too small to replace a full size desktop or laptop for serious word programs and spreadsheets.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You can get an ipad2 for about £300.

That would be my choice way above the competition.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I also have an ipad(won it in a raffle, couldn't afford to buy one) and must say I use it most of the time at home but for traveling ,much prefer the nexus, and another thing to consider is what phone you have , if you have an iPhone then go for ipad, but if you have an android phone , a android tablet will integrate with it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I avoid the Nexus range because they don't have an SD card slot.

It limits how much you can fit on the device.

For instance I have loads of TV series on my hard disk. I copy a couple of seasons to a couple of SD cards when I go away. I can then watch what I want without having to boot up the laptop.

Might just be a personal thing but for me the SD card slot is an essential when buying phones or tablets.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Luddite !!

I also have an ipad(won it in a raffle, couldn't afford to buy one) and must say I use it most of the time at home but for traveling ,much prefer the nexus, and another thing to consider is[HI] what phone [/HI]you have , if you have an iPhone then go for ipad, but if you have an android phone , a android tablet will integrate with it.

2 tin cans and a bit of string for me any day !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The tablet I am currently looking at is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CWCM73W/?tag=mhf04-21

It is a cheap chinese jobby but it has got some great reviews except for build quality. Apparently it does feel a bit cheap but the spec is incredible. You get a lot for your money..

It has a "retina" display (hate that apple marketing term) 2048 x 1536 which is favourable to the Nexus's 2560 x 1600... It comes with quad core compared to the Nexus's Dual core. Both come with 2GB +16GB storage. But the Pipo comes with SD card slot.

When the nexus 16GB is in stock I think it is £299 compared to the PIPO £199. The 16GB nexus is out of stock at the moment.

The Nexus's build quality is excellent, The Pipo has problems in this area such as a screen that moves slightly when you press on the screen etc..

I will be giving this a punt at that price. You have 7 days to try it under the distance selling regulations so no problems there.

Sorry for the waffling post.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
id go for a Samsung galaxy Note8....outstanding piece of kit ( bit biased as I have one:roflmto:), masses of storage space iwth a 64gb SD card, great battery (2-3 days with 'normal' usage). vey powerfull prcessor so doesnt lag etc, and the screen, well...its incredible for reading, and watching full HD vids,...the difference between the 7" tablets and this 8" is incredible (also have a Tab3 7" - came as part of a phone contract!!)

My Mum has just got one from John lewis - bit not at the price on this advert - she got it for just under £200

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ga...000b59c8d5&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

not going to harp on too much about it as it will take ages to write:ROFLMAO: but in summary...outstanding piece of kit...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

[HI]That would be my choice way above the competition[/HI].

Nah...unless the competition is one of these of course:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 6

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, like myself, the laptop is knackered !:cry::cry::cry: it takes 8 minutes from start up to usability and the sound is terrible !

Time to move on !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:
You or the laptop ?

The big downside of tablets is lack of hard drive so you probably need your laptop for things like photo storage.

8 mins sound like it needs a really good clean up.

Tablet sound is probably worse, small space for speakers.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Although not as convenient as having an SD card slot it is possible to read separate SD cards with an Android device which doesn't have a slot. The picture below shows the setup. This shows an Android 'phone but it works the same way with a tablet. The key is a thing called an OTG or On The Go cable, which you can buy for about £3.00. This turns the micro-USB connection on the device into a full USB connector which you can then connect to an SD card reader, also about £3.00. You also need to download a file manager application, I found Astro file manager the best and it is free. The picture shows the setup I have used to upload daily cycling routes as GPX files to a website.
BROKEN LINK

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You or the laptop ?

The big downside of tablets is lack of hard drive so you probably need your laptop for things like photo storage.

8 mins sound like it needs a really good clean up.

Tablet sound is probably worse, small space for speakers.
I beg to differ hd, my Note 2 10.1 has two front facing speakers that are as good as it gets for a tablet, excellent sound quality.
Second, storage my note has 80GB of storage, enough for most photo albums.
Comparing a laptop with a tablet is like comparing a Vespa with your motor bike.:winky: I take my tablet with me almost everywhere, something not possible with a laptop. My battery lasts for a few days between charges, I use it as a sat nav, roaming internet and mobile photo album I take it on holiday, fact I use it every day while out and about. My laptop stays purely for home use.:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

I bought an iPad 2 for someone at Christmas.

Direct from Apple, it was refurbished, but that means,

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product

is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc.).
includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
is repacked in special packaging (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc. that originally shipped with the unit) with a new case and new battery.
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

It came within 24 hours, was impossible to tell the difference from a "brand" new one, has full Apple warranty as a new one would have, can't fault it.

Cost £259.

I also have a SD card adaptor which plugs in to my iPad as well as an HDMI out adaptor. I have tried android,(Samsung, and many others) but I find the iPad is so intuitive and flawless in use I will stick with that for the time being.

:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The tablet I am currently looking at is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CWCM73W/?tag=mhf04-21

It is a cheap chinese jobby but it has got some great reviews except for build quality. Apparently it does feel a bit cheap but the spec is incredible. You get a lot for your money..

It has a "retina" display (hate that apple marketing term) 2048 x 1536 which is favourable to the Nexus's 2560 x 1600... It comes with quad core compared to the Nexus's Dual core. Both come with 2GB +16GB storage. But the Pipo comes with SD card slot.

When the nexus 16GB is in stock I think it is £299 compared to the PIPO £199. The 16GB nexus is out of stock at the moment.

The Nexus's build quality is excellent, The Pipo has problems in this area such as a screen that moves slightly when you press on the screen etc..

I will be giving this a punt at that price. You have 7 days to try it under the distance selling regulations so no problems there.

Sorry for the waffling post.

Hi does it have GPS ? I have had a look but cannot see any ref to it, or I cannot see the wood for the trees::bigsmile:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi does it have GPS ? I have had a look but cannot see any ref to it, or I cannot see the wood for the trees::bigsmile:
terry

Looks like no to me.

Personally I think that screen is too good. All those pixels take time to refresh so I worry about how fast the screen works.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I bought an iPad 2 for someone at Christmas.

Direct from Apple, it was refurbished, but that means,
Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product

is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).

etc.

Just got a refurb iPad too - my dad's got one and I'm tech support :RollEyes: so I needed something similar, but couldn't justify the price of a new one.

Lovely piece of kit; hopefully it'll be a bit more stable and reliable than my MacBook Pro was :Sad:

I also have a SD card adaptor which plugs in to my iPad as well as an HDMI out adaptor.

Ooo.....do you mind me asking make/model?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Broken Link Removed but a little cheaper
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Although not as convenient as having an SD card slot it is possible to read separate SD cards with an Android device which doesn't have a slot. The picture below shows the setup. This shows an Android 'phone but it works the same way with a tablet. The key is a thing called an OTG or On The Go cable, which you can buy for about £3.00. This turns the micro-USB connection on the device into a full USB connector which you can then connect to an SD card reader, also about £3.00. You also need to download a file manager application, I found Astro file manager the best and it is free. The picture shows the setup I have used to upload daily cycling routes as GPX files to a website.
BROKEN LINK

Where do you get em from:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've got a good PURPLE laptop for sale if you're interested ... see the classified ads ... ::bigsmile: :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
terry

I don't think it does...

I am not looking for GPS as I have it on my Galaxy note for when I am out walking. And I am getting one of those truck GPS thingies everyone is rattling on about :winky:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the only tablet to buy is a ipad but fro the price u r saying get another laptop

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back