Proposal to increase Congestion Charge Survey (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm all for anything to stop congestion :Smile:

Last time we had any congestion where we are, was about 3 years ago :ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Sorry Peter, I cant really sign that, as I live 300 miles away.

Anyway, London is a terrible place, full of millions of small Japanese people with cameras who impede the footway. Maybe a congestion charge on stupid pedestrians would rake in much more cash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had some congestion here today. A skip lorry was removing a skip from a front garden, he had to block the road to do it ( bearing in mind this is a main bus route between Whitstable and Canterbury!). He was there for almost 15 minutes and by the time he went, there was a line of cars almost 15ft long that couldn't get past. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I tend to find cars and London don't mix, so whenever I go, I use the train.
Allan

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Contrary to what you folk in the colonies may think.... The congestion charge is not for congestion... But for pollution. .. Electric cars are exempt.. (and some hybrids)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
All those cars coughing out pollution what about the nice clean aeroplanes paying a bit more

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I thought the LEZ was for pollution and the congestion charge was for congestion? Used to be a nightmare when I worked driving in London working out if I was inside or outside the zone. I nearly went to Croydon IKEA in the Motorhome last year till I saw the signs for the LEZ and promptly drove to Lakeside instead,
If its £1.50 then are enough affected people going to complain?
I use the train when I venture in to London now but will certainly let the Company know in case they havent seen.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The congestion charge is for congestion... But if you drive a non polluting car.. You're exempt .. so it is pollution based .... LEZ is for pollution only.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We only suffer with congestion in haymaking season. Then you'll often see a car behind a tractor:Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Carry on and do what they want it does not bother me I have no intentions of ever going there again. It has been the source of the ruination of a once good country

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In the other comments I put the following:

It is becoming more and more well known TFL were instructed to increase traffic problems from the outset to add weight to the argument put forward by those who proposed the CC.

Perhaps TFL would gain more support if it now sorted out the very obvious and deliberate bottle necks that were engineered with the above in mind ?

Be seen to be DOING something about congestion rather than just taking money and doing absolutely nothing

There are two reasons for the above...

I have been privy to a recording of a planning meeting where a junction was discussed.
When a young, very new to TFL person suggested ways to improve traffic flow he was derided.. The Chairperson is heard to say ( and this is not verbatim but close enough )
It is not our job to make life easy, it is our job to make people see why CC is needed

I also know a chap who was sacked ( welll, moved sideways until his position was untenable.. They ( TFL ) are not so crass or obvious as to simply sack someone ) because he consistently tried to improve traffic flow specifically in the Charring Cross area.
I am led to believe the guy now works for the BMF..

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Sorry Peter, I cant really sign that, as I live 300 miles away.

Anyway, London is a terrible place, full of millions of small Japanese people with cameras who impede the footway. [HI]Maybe a congestion charge on stupid pedestrians would rake in much more cash[/HI].

Or cyclists??

Contrary to what you folk in the colonies may think.... The congestion charge is not for congestion... But for pollution. .. Electric cars are exempt.. (and some hybrids)

The congestion charge is for congestion... But if you drive a non polluting car.. You're exempt .. so it is pollution based .... LEZ is for pollution only.

So, have I got this right?
The pollution your vehicle kicks out doesn't count as long as you pay money to the authorities?

It's about screwing revenue from Joe Public.
Pollution is just the excuse.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought the LEZ was for pollution and the congestion charge was for congestion? Used to be a nightmare when I worked driving in London working out if I was inside or outside the zone. I nearly went to Croydon IKEA in the Motorhome last year till I saw the signs for the LEZ and promptly drove to Lakeside instead,
[HI]If its £1.50 then are enough affected people going to complain?[/HI]
I use the train when I venture in to London now but will certainly let the Company know in case they havent seen.

I would say you are right in that..

Anyone who has enough money to pay the existing LEZ charges is unlikely to worry about an extra £1.10

Existing charges for motorhomes which do not comply to LEZ are:

Up to 3.5t £100 Per day ( £36,000 per year )

Over 3.5t £200 Per day ( £72,000 per year )

The annual figures are conveniently glossed over and never mentioned !!! ( But maybe you could get a discount if you are a resident.. That info is somewhat buried on the LEZ web site )

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Congestion

We - as a small business- do go up to London, we need our vehicles close by for materials & tools. By the time we have paid for our chaps to work a little longer, paid £30 for parking and some more money to TFL, allowed for the fact that you can only park in that road for 4 hours & then move the vehicle to another location, so they need to leave the job & start driving around the streets with many other vans looking for a parking place who are restricted by the 4 hour rule - more time wasted.

Any increase in the rate or the area would mean a direct increase for the customer, we already budget £80 per day per man/van :cry: before paying wages just for transportation & parking.

Since the appearance of TFL things have become more difficult & take longer for London based jobs.

Our Motor home would be in the LEZ £200 per day :Eeek: slot so we will not be playing that game any time soon either.

Arthur:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Exemptions

You don't have to pay the Congestion Charge or register with us if the vehicle is recorded at the DVLA in one of these categories:

Two-wheeled motorbikes (and sidecars), and mopeds
Emergency service vehicles, such as ambulances and fire engines, which have a taxation class of 'Ambulance' or 'Fire engine'
NHS vehicles that are exempt from road tax
Vehicles used by disabled people that are exempt from road tax and have a 'disabled' taxation class
Vehicles for more than one disabled person (for example Dial-A-Ride) exempt from road tax and have a 'disabled' taxation class

And so, go on the bike, buy an old fire-engine or work for the NHS. Cool. ::bigsmile:

Never heard of a two wheeled sidecar, but hey, nothings new.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Another good reason not to go to good old London town, eh?

As if we needed one.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would say you are right in that..

Anyone who has enough money to pay the existing LEZ charges is unlikely to worry about an extra £1.10

Existing charges for motorhomes which do not comply to LEZ are:

Up to 3.5t £100 Per day ( £36,000 per year )

Over 3.5t £200 Per day ( £72,000 per year )

The annual figures are conveniently glossed over and never mentioned !!! ( But maybe you could get a discount if you are a resident.. That info is somewhat buried on the LEZ web site )
I think it is yet another tax on those who are already doing more than their fair share. It is about time those north of Watford Gap were encouraged to pay a bit more towards keeping the country afloat. I'm relying on Thetford being south of Watford Gap :rain:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think it is yet another tax on those who are already doing more than their fair share. It is about time those north of Watford Gap were encouraged to pay a bit more towards keeping the country afloat. I'm relying on Thetford being south of Watford Gap :rain:

Why should we in the north pay?
The London Extortion Zone collects money from all visitors for the sole benefit of Londoners, so let them either pay it themselves or elect local government who will bin it.

As small furry person is say....Seemples!

It doesn't keep the country afloat, Buttons, just London.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back