Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Has anyone any experience with the above product? I know Jim sells them in his shop and Faculty-X sells them.
I like the look of the setup that Addie (Motorhomewifi) sells but cannot run to that sort of cost.
The question I have is: I realise that you have to set up for each new SSID you visit but are the repeat settings saved? I would hate having to explain to the wife every time that she has to set up a new wi-fi connection.
It is easy with my mi-fi device, her iPad looks for each wi-fi provider in turn and selects the one available.
John

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've used the Solwise Antenna and it works well. But I've not used the repeater yet. This month we have a repeater along with that antenna off on a skiing trip with Haggers who's agreed to put it through its paces. He will lets us know how it fairs. :thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I use the repeater all the time with another type of long range areil and it work flawlessly , well worth the money you can also use a 3g dongle in place of the Ariel and provide a hot spot just like the mifi , do a search for the alpha R 36 router

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I use the repeater all the time with another type of long range areil and it work flawlessly , well worth the money you can also use a 3g dongle in place of the Ariel and provide a hot spot just like the mifi , do a search for the alpha R 36 router

Thanks for that but the same question in my original post: does it retain any of the settings from site to site?

John

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Have just sent mine back to Solwise for a refund after admitting defeat after many wasted hours.
Was unable to set-up the unit through two different L/T's using either Windows 7 or 8.
Could have been a defective unit, but Solwise gave me a refund (minus postage) no probs.
So back to just the aerial .

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have just sent mine back to Solwise for a refund after admitting defeat after many wasted hours.
Was unable to set-up the unit through two different L/T's using either Windows 7 or 8.
Could have been a defective unit, but Solwise gave me a refund (minus postage) no probs.
So back to just the aerial .

I don't understand how you would have a problem with the WiFi repeater as you just go to a 198.164..1.2 ( example) in the address bar of your browser to log in to the repeater , no software has to be loaded to the PC or tablet

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Has anyone any experience with the above product? I know Jim sells them in his shop and Faculty-X sells them.
I like the look of the setup that Addie (Motorhomewifi) sells but cannot run to that sort of cost.
The question I have is: I realise that you have to set up for each new SSID you visit but are the repeat settings saved? I would hate having to explain to the wife every time that she has to set up a new wi-fi connection.
It is easy with my mi-fi device, her iPad looks for each wi-fi provider in turn and selects the one available.
John

I don't think it retains previous SSID's.

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I don't think it retains previous SSID's.

Very confusing I know but there will be two identities set up. The external SSID such as The Caravan Club, McDonalds, BT etc. There will be another group of settings such as those accessed by my Tablet, my wife's iPad, phone etc. All using the local wi-fi being generated. I do not care about the external settings but if I set up the internal wi-fi to be called "my_wifi" with the password "password" will that be saved when switched off and switched on again.

The names are fictitious by the way.

John

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I don't understand how you would have a problem with the WiFi repeater as you just go to a 198.164..1.2 ( example) in the address bar of your browser to log in to the repeater , no software has to be loaded to the PC or tablet

That was the problem, the device would not recognise the 198.164.2.1 (?) address and so I was unable to progress from step 1 to setting up the SSID.
During some of these attempted settings-up, my L/T would just become inoperative until the power to the router was removed.
I believe the Fire Wall can interfere with the setting-up as well.
What was frustrating is that I had just previously set-up another different router with no problem.
As I said, the router could have been defective.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It must have been defective, I connect mine to either 12v or 240v , do a WiFi search with the tablet once the tablet found the router I go to the address and then log in with admin , admin as the default login and password then do a search for any WiFi signals to use , I have also renamed the router to a name of my choice and given it a new pasword

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

freelanderuk, you having experience of the Solwise router, what is it's advantages over just the Solwise aerial and a L/P, where the L/T is the 'hotspot,' instead of the router being the 'hotspot'?
In both cases , setting-up the router or aerial to a different SSID takes about the same time?
Having used the Solwise aerial successfully, the only advantage I can think for M/Home use is for when parked up for several days?

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
please explain what you mean by, Solwise aerial and a L/P where the L/T is the 'hotspot

my set up is that my long range Ariel is on a telescopic pole connected to my bike rack permanently , i run a 10meter usb cable to the router and have this connected to the 12v , when i pull up i extend my pole and point the Ariel in the direction of where i think there will be a signal , turn my router on and connect my tablet by wifi log in to the router and do a search if at a new site, i usually have a signal with in 10 mins if there is one
i don't know if solwize make this router as i have the alfa R36

http://www.alfa.com.tw/

Link Removed

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
please explain what you mean by, Solwise aerial and a L/P where the L/T is the 'hotspot

my set up is that my long range Ariel is on a telescopic pole connected to my bike rack permanently , i run a 10meter usb cable to the router and have this connected to the 12v , when i pull up i extend my pole and point the Ariel in the direction of where i think there will be a signal , turn my router on and connect my tablet by wifi log in to the router and do a search if at a new site, i usually have a signal with in 10 mins if there is one
i don't know if solwize make this router as i have the alfa R36

http://www.alfa.com.tw/

Link Removed

There is a full description/ maual for the Solwise USB WiFi Antenna in 'Jim's Shop' (top right)
It's an omni-directional external antenna with a built-in amplifier, and terminates in a USB connector.
Prior to it's use, a software patch is required to the L/T. (supplied with Ae)
When the antenna is connected, the L/T sets-up the required SSID to be used.
When fully set-up (minutes) the L/T can become a 'virtual router' (hot-spot) with it's own SSID and Password.
The Solwise Router (or similar), is necessary because of the requirement for a USB port
with this device.
I think I am beginning to answer my own questions due to your questions?:thumb:

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think we are at crossed wires here , the solwize ariel with usb connection has it's own software , you plug the ariel straight in to the laptop ( L/T ) and use the software to find your wifi signal, If you plug the solwize ariel in to the router you do not need to install any software to the laptop

there is no software or patch needed with the router, you plug the areial in to the router and connect wireless to the router with your laptop, the only software you need for the router is built in to the router

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back