Rip off Yorkshire! (Tour de France content) (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I just received an email from the CTC inviting me to join them camping for the grand depart, it looked well-organised with activities and big screens, and we were thinking of going to watch anyway...

then I looked how much a pitch would be...

HOW MUCH???
:ROFLMAO:

No thanks.

Has anybody a cunning plan to go and see it? I hadn't thought much ahead other than would like to go, bu I doubt it will be like in France with campers lining the Yorkshire Dales...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's dearer then Silverstone with magnificent facilities.

But if it's your passion, what the hell, pay up.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Talk about 'Rip Off Britain'. Those charges are ridiculous. :Angry:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Easy solution, don't use it! They are pure rip-off merchants who appear to have been set up specifically to fleece enthusiasts! Please do NOT judge the whole of Yorkshire by this lot of shysters!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I just received an email from the CTC inviting me to join them camping for the grand depart, it looked well-organised with activities and big screens, and we were thinking of going to watch anyway...

then I looked how much a pitch would be...

HOW MUCH???
:ROFLMAO:

No thanks.

Has anybody a cunning plan to go and see it? I hadn't thought much ahead other than would like to go, bu I doubt it will be like in France with campers lining the Yorkshire Dales...

wtf !!

The Tour goes about a mile away from us here in Essex.
I reckon I can get a couple of motorohomes on the drive ... at £190 a pop, i can squeeze 3 :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It's a shame really.
What should have been a great sporting spectical has already been tarnished with utter greed. :Angry:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
That's dearer then Silverstone with magnificent facilities.

But if it's your passion, what the hell, pay up.

And if you break it down between 4 of you £16pn ain't to bad for what you get. like you said if your passion. Think it will be a great spectacular and might even venture up there myself if anyone knows of a meet ?.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Doesn't seem that bad for camping.

£150 for 4 folk for 3 nights. £12.50 a night each.
And you get to keep all the gear.

Or did I miss summat ? :roflmto:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Easy solution, don't use it! They are pure rip-off merchants who appear to have been set up specifically to fleece enthusiasts! Please do NOT judge the whole of Yorkshire by this lot of shysters!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...............:winky::winky:

Attachments

• keith-isn-t-tight-he-s-just-a-thrifty-yorkshireman-4.png
    keith-isn-t-tight-he-s-just-a-thrifty-yorkshireman-4.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Please do NOT judge the whole of Yorkshire by this lot of shysters!

I'd never do that Minx - I'm half Yorkshire! And spent 2009/2010 living in Leeds ::bigsmile:

but the Tour seems to have triggered a huge outbreak of similar acts of greed sadly.

lincs

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
I wish i'd received the CTC email before today. I booked my pitch a couple of weeks back for my family. :cry:

I know it's expensive but you don't get the chance to see an event like this everyday and I looked at other sites such as Harewood house that charge a lot more!

For our family of 5 it only works out at £12.66ish a night per person which is much cheaper than the sold out hotels in the area. I'm going to contact them to see if i can still get my discount but i'm doubtful...

will keep you posted if i get a reply!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
A good option is Street Head site. the tour passes its very door. I kept a static here for 30 years, so know it well. The touring field is sloping unfortunately. And knowing the owners they will, no doubt, want to cash in on the event, who wouldn't for heavens sake! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for a site which is closed for 5 months of the year... I thought about going but I really don't like crowds!

Catherine

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Best bet is to find a quiet CL somewhere on the route and peddle to your chosen spot.
Choose you spot carefully! Those guys are pulling a minimum of 30mph on the flat and that means LOTS of waiting for a few seconds of UTTER joy! (Could tell another story on that one but she'd kill me!:ROFLMAO:)
Get a copy of the course on line and choose a good hill. Don't bother with a summit poistion cos they're choca-block with armchair enthusiast! Find some where 1/2 way to 2/3rd up, where things have slowed down a bit but the crowds haven't built up that far down.
Climbed the Tormalet a couple of times to watch them come over! Amazing!
Chris Boardmans last tour, I'd climbed up there and waited hours in BLAZING sun and just as I line up my photo, one of the many crowd jumped in fron of my lens! Could have cried!:cry: All that effort and waiting...........and simply cos it was just too busy a spot on the summit.
It's an amazing spectacle but, for me, was spoiled by the shear number of people pressing for the same square foot of ground.
Better to find somewhere quieter and make it a really personal experience..................just like cycling.:thumb:

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We couldn't get onto the huez stage of the tdf last year and ended up watching most of it in a bar in Nice.... I'm not complaining either... :)

Those prices are astronomical... But only to be expected I guess

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Doesn't seem that bad for camping.

£150 for 4 folk for 3 nights. £12.50 a night each.
And you get to keep all the gear.

Or did I miss summat ? :roflmto:

Yeah...solo motorhomers :Sad:

I'll stop complaining about sites that charge for up-to-2 people from now on....that's the mother of all single supplements :cry:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
It’s announced today that Yorkshire will host the 2014 Tour de France Grand Depart.
“Well, I niver thought I’d see the day.”
It was spoken by a Yorkshireman in a flat tweed cap, a slightly bemused Yorkshireman, who was both scratching his head and shaking it at the same time. He looked again at the banner headline on the advertising hoarding.
Yorkshire to host 2014 Tour de France Grand Depart
“Yer knows what that means, don’t yer, Walter. Means you’ll ‘ave to learn French. And that’s not all, I’ll be bound.”
Walter was busy hitching his trousers up, almost to his armpits leaving a substantial gap and revealing more than a healthy glimpse of hairy white leg at the top of his boots.He reached down and scratched t whippet behind t ear, He listened as his pal Nimrod continued.
“Now we’re in this ‘ere Common Union Europe thingy we’ll have to be continental. Do like the French.Cheat n Et Garlik”
“Aye, maybe you can,” he replied, “but I was in France in 1945.”
“Well, they’ve changed since then.”
“Should blinking well hope so too. All that smelly cheese and fancy gastro food.”
“Anyways, Walter, behave yersen. They just want to ride their bikes round. Won’t be for long, and after you can go back to speaking Yorkshire again.”
“What! Can’t they speak Yorkshire, Nimrod?”
“Not the way you speak it. Somat to do with them being French and munching snails and garlic and drinking wine.”
“Well, can’t we make them et black pudding and tuck into plates of Yorkshire puddings and down a pint or two. That’ll get ‘em speaking our way.”
Don’t be daft. They’re cyclists, athletes, their bodies honed to the peak of condition. No, it’s you that’ll have to change your diet. Then who knows. You’ve got a bike, Walter. I’ve seen you fall off it enough times outside the “Stuffed Sheep”. Why don’t you train up a bit, give them a run for their money. Home ground, you know the roads. You could win a yellow jersey.”
“What would I do with one of them?”
“Well, for a start next time you go to the seaside to Scarborough, it’ll look better on the beach with you in a yellow jersey than that old tweed jacket.”
“Less of the old. There’s nowt wrong with it. I got it off Peggy when her Jim died.”(Mayt do fer ferret bedding though)

“Aye, and who did he get it off?”
“I suppose you’re right Nimrod,” sighed Walter cocking a thumb at the headline. “We’ll just have to go intercontinental be woss than visitin Lancashire.”

willow15

Free Member
Jun 2, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Crazy prices

I would rather spend the money on diesel and watch it in France. Pics from Ventoux last year. As soon as we came back we bought a motorhome for future Tours. Tents are ok but when you see how the other half live.......
Plus on the huge mountains you get a better viewing of the riders, Yorkshire ail be a whoosh, was that it.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 21
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
wtf !!

The Tour goes about a mile away from us here in Essex.
I reckon I can get a couple of motorohomes on the drive ... at £190 a pop, i can squeeze 3 :winky:

Don't forget hook up £95 cough cough cheers gov spare a copper or two please
:Eeek:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have been booked into a CL that we use near Harrogate, actually booked as soon as the route was announced, have not discussed prices but not expecting any change from the normal rate.

Time will tell.

Martin

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Don't forget hook up £95 cough cough cheers gov spare a copper or two please
:Eeek:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The smart man (or woman) would put that 95 quid towards a wee genny.
If I'm going to lay awake the weekend wondering why I spent £190 on a strip of soggy field, then the tentists and tuggers can listen to my throbbing (generator) :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well we could always set up our own alternative venue.

I mean, I am sure we could rent all the required equipment and a field and still be able to beat £95 a night !!!! :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have not studied the route but theres an awful lot of Yorkshire moors around so I would think it would not be too hard to find a spot or two to wild camp or break down just off the road at some nice spot.Plenty around when the milk race went by a few yrs ago ::bigsmile:
terry

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
Those that are paying it will not be from yorkshire.You know what they say about yorkshire folk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back