Are my batteries ok (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
When we sold the motorhome last week we removed our 2 110ah leisure batteries and put them in the garage ready to go in to our next MH. Will they be okay or is there anything I need to be aware of or do to protect their life? :whatthe:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do they have an indicator (Green charged, White low, Red discharged). If so you can keep an eye on it otherwise it's a bit of guesswork. I have an old LB which I do the former with and charge from time to time with a Lidl charger similar to the one they have on special from the 16th.

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Battery storeage

First thing is, keep them off a Concrete floor.

Put them on a trickle charge, lower the better 2...5 amps.

They should last for years:thumb:

Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Beat me to it.. I do not think anyone knows why but put a battery on a concrete floor and it will end up dead as a dodo

Put them on a bench if possible, but if not on a bit of wood up on a couple of bricks

I actually sell a tiny battery charger specifically for keeping batteries JUST ticking over nicely.. They are under a tenner and available in loads of places :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
concrete floor discharge....twaddle !!!

Fact or Fiction

Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete? NO!
Why then do so many people believe that concrete is a battery enemy? Years ago, batteries could have been electrically discharged by sitting on a concrete floor. My dad, for instance, owned an automotive shop for many years. In fact, I grew up on a creeper. My dad reminded me time after time, "Set that battery on wood! I know batteries discharge on concrete because I’ve witnessed it!" And he was right at that time.

Historical Basis

You see, the myth that concrete drains batteries does have some historical basis. Many, many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.

Today’s Technology

For more than a decade, automotive and commercial battery containers have been made of polypropylene, which is a highly insulative material. In fact, the Interstate Batteries poly material is at least five times more insulative than the old hard rubber. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the posts and the vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
concrete floor or not, your battery will have a low self discharge rate, which will probably be determined by the condition and age.

Put it on a charger for a couple of hours each month and if the battery condition is good it will be ok for many years.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
concrete floor discharge....twaddle !!!

Fact or Fiction

Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete? NO!
Why then do so many people believe that concrete is a battery enemy? Years ago, batteries could have been electrically discharged by sitting on a concrete floor. My dad, for instance, owned an automotive shop for many years. In fact, I grew up on a creeper. My dad reminded me time after time, "Set that battery on wood! I know batteries discharge on concrete because I’ve witnessed it!" And he was right at that time.

Historical Basis

You see, the myth that concrete drains batteries does have some historical basis. Many, many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.

Today’s Technology

For more than a decade, automotive and commercial battery containers have been made of polypropylene, which is a highly insulative material. In fact, the Interstate Batteries poly material is at least five times more insulative than the old hard rubber. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the posts and the vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration

So now you have been told !!!!

But keep if of a concrete floor just in case :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
spill battery acid on concrete and you'll regret it for years.

I used a kettle of boiling water to wash off the seriously accumulated green/white 'fur' off a batteries posts.

When i moved the car the concrete was a lovely shade of caramac brown ahd nothing would clean it....still stained 20 years on.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have a vehicle battery which has been sat on the concrete garage floor since July 2013, Trickle charged for 10 minutes once only and it still shows 12.6 volts.:thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Thanks for all the info guys, so basically if I don't pick up another MH this weekend I probably need to buy a battery charger just in case it takes a while to find a replacement. I was about to send hubby rushing out to the garage to move them off the floor but luckily I can now leave him to finish cooking my dinner :ROFLMAO:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
[HI]But keep if of a concrete floor just in case [/HI]

Paulyp I agree keep it in a case, this will solve the issue.:cry:

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
:Smile:
I have a vehicle battery which has been sat on the concrete garage floor since July 2013, Trickle charged for 10 minutes once only and it still shows 12.6 volts.:thumb:

A fully charged 12volt battery should be showing at least 13.4 volts,your
battery is nearly flat.

Ten minutes charge with a bog standard charger will not have even started the electrolyte gassing process.(don't forget to keep your battery off the concrete):hardhat::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Smile:

A fully charged 12volt battery should be showing at least 13.4 volts,your
battery is nearly flat.

Ten minutes charge with a bog standard charger will not have even started the electrolyte gassing process.(don't forget to keep your battery off the concrete):hardhat::Smile:

a fully charged, but unloaded, battery will show 12.7v a couple of hours after being removed from charge.

13.6v is a standard 'float/maintenance charge' voltage when on charge and for a short period after removal from charge and slowly drop to 12.7v.

12.2v unloaded is recognised as flat.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all the info guys, so basically if I don't pick up another MH this weekend I probably need to buy a battery charger just in case it takes a while to find a replacement. I was about to send hubby rushing out to the garage to move them off the floor but luckily I can now leave him to finish cooking my dinner :ROFLMAO:

It only needs charging about every 3 months, provided it was full to start with. Personally, I'd prefer an every 3 month charge to a constant trickle, although both will be much better than leaving it.

Also, I don't practice what I preach. My batteries remain connected to the solar all year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back