LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi, Now that we are on the lookout for another MH I was not aware that some MHS have their fresh water located under the floor.

Is it better to look for one like this as it will free up storage space or is their cons in the winter like the water freezing up more easily?

Thanks Sandra

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If you intend to use the van in the winter then the tank must be well insulated otherwise it will freeze and you will be left with no water.

Lunarman

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi, Now that we are on the lookout for another MH I was not aware that some MHS have their fresh water located under the floor.

Is it better to look for one like this as it will free up storage space or is their cons in the winter like the water freezing up more easily?

Thanks Sandra

I think the answer to both questions is Yes. However, unless you have a very well insulated van there is always going to be the risk of water in an inside tank freezing when it gets very cold. You can get tank heaters but the ones I have seen are not cheap.

However, I am not sure you lose a lot of storage space if the tank position is well thought out. In our van the tank is in a corner with worktops above running in both directions. You could use it for storage but it would be hard to get at and it isn't very big, about 12" * 12" * 30" mounted vertically, approximately and without going outside in the dark to measure it.

The waste tank is under the floor but is left empty if low temperatures threaten.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have always had internal fresh water tanks (FWT) on our MHs up until out last one - we changed to a PVC (camper) with the FWT located outside to allow more storage inside (the waste tanks have always been outside). Our FWT has an insulated jacket on it and I have put lots of insulation on the pipes to/from it to avoid freezing problems, the FWT doesn't have any heating though, however when we were at the Newark show in February last year with temperatures below freezing for the whole weekend and snow too for good measure, we didn't have any problems at all.

The waste tank is much easier to deal with as just leavign the outside tap open all the time and using a bucket under it will ensure you don't have any freezing issues.

It really depends on how long you are likely to stay in very low temperatures, as any outside tank, even insulated, will eventually sucumb to the cold and freeze.

Upvote 0

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We have two fresh water, the waste and toilet (marine style) tanks all inside. Our van has a double floor so we don't lose any storage space, and there are actually lockers to use the bit of space that is left, so we have additional storage under the floor. The blown air heating has a vent in this area too meaning the if you are using the van none of the the tanks will freeze. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back