LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Is there anyway of adjusting a "Sureflow" water pump... ?

I have noticed over the last few days it purges a lot more than it did...

Still pumps hot and cold OK but it`s like turning the tap on and off quickly...

It`s in an awkward place to get too.... :Sad:

Easy laymans terms please if it can be done... :Doh:::bigsmile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes it can but i dont know how.
Also it does that in Spain and stoppped when I was at Park Verger.I just thought it was air in the system but dont know for sure.

Mel

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Yes it can but i dont know how.
Also it does that in Spain and stoppped when I was at Park Verger.I just thought it was air in the system but dont know for sure.

Mel

Thanks, Mel... :thumb:

I`ll leave it for now...

It has always done it a little,,,,, but since coming here it is getting worse..

Spose it could be the crap desalinated water,,,, Always descaling the kettle... :Sad:

Hate to think what the boiler`s inside is like... :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm sure there is an adjustment screw on one end of the pump, however we had a similar problem and solved it by fitting a Fiamma A20 accumulator.

Fiamma Water Expansion Tank Acumalator A20

The Fiamma Water Expansion Tank Acumalator A20 eliminates the pulsating operation of the water pump and allows a flow of constant water at the required quantity.
It will assist in lowering the water consumption and will extend the life of both the pump and the water boiler (pre charged at 0.9 bar - 13.05 PSI)

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-water-expansion-tank-acumalator-a20.html

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I'm sure there is an adjustment screw on one end of the pump, however we had a similar problem and solved it by fitting a Fiamma A20 accumulator.

Fiamma Water Expansion Tank Acumalator A20

The Fiamma Water Expansion Tank Acumalator A20 eliminates the pulsating operation of the water pump and allows a flow of constant water at the required quantity.
It will assist in lowering the water consumption and will extend the life of both the pump and the water boiler (pre charged at 0.9 bar - 13.05 PSI)

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-water-expansion-tank-acumalator-a20.html

:thumb::thumb: Thanks...

I`ll put that on the list of to do things when we get back... :thumb:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Funnily enough our water pump has started being a bit touchy, even though we've got one of those accumulator things. It's on my list of jobs to do today (well alright it's the ONLY thing on my list!) so if I find anything I'll come back and let you know.

Terry

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Funnily enough our water pump has started being a bit touchy, even though we've got one of those accumulator things. It's on my list of jobs to do today (well alright it's the ONLY thing on my list!) so if I find anything I'll come back and let you know.

Terry
Yes, but once a year, you are supposed to 'purge' the accumulator. This is done, (depending on type), by letting all the water out of the system, and then opening the top valve of the accumulator tank, which allows any water inside to run off, thereby 'replenishing' the air buffer required. Tighten up the valve after a few mins, then re-fill the water system.
Over a period of time, the water level increases due to small air loss from the tank. This reduces the pressurising effect of the air against the water, which then lets the pump run more often.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I will do it for you at Zahora.

Sometimes they hide the adjusting screw behind a label.

Mine is a tiny Allen screw... I have the necessary key.

JJ. :Cool:
Hi

In our workshops this time of year wlilst carrying out habitational services we see alot of cracked particle filters (on the inlet side of the pump) which will give you the symptems you are experiencing.
The filters are around ÂŁ15.00 and in stock!!

Regards

Glenn

www.johnscross.co.uk

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes, but once a year, you are supposed to 'purge' the accumulator.
:thumb:Thanks for that - of course I'd put everything back in the locker when I got your reply:cry:
I'll leave it for now until I need to make some room again for "stores" for Morocco.

Terry

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
To Glen at Johns Croos

Would that give the symptom of a noisy "tapping sound" when using the pump ???
Mitch.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi. Have a look at this info from the swift site

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the screw on the end of the pump is to set the electrical 'cut off' point.

if the pump regularly pulses you have a leak somewhere.

it could simply be the valves in the pump are a bit weak, or a spec of grit under the seat, and allowing water, thus pressure, to feed back into the low pressure side of the valves.
the diaphragm could be slightly porous or a minor pinhole
pipework could have a minor leak.

adjusting the screw will only make the pulse a bit less regular but may pump for longer to build back up to the higher cut off point.
if adjusted too far the pump may not produce enough pressure to activate the cut off micro switch and the pump will continue to run, under load, indefinatly

actual water pressure is factory set by cylinder and valve size and design and is not adjustable.

i had to fully dismantle my pump and i understand the inner workings of the 3 chamber diaphragm pump

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have seen similar symptoms on pumps where the diaphragm is slightly perished and weak or covered in limescale. check for a crack in the strainer and if youve got a service kit, refurb the pump. should then be good as new

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Would that give the symptom of a noisy "tapping sound" when using the pump ???
Mitch.

Over the years, we have had four of these pumps on our narrowboat. They all failed due to the glue which holds the permanent magnets onto the inside of the armature case perishing, allowing the spinning armature to hit them. This causes the magnets to eventually smash into a couple of pieces. You first hear it as a ticking noise.
So I bought a Jabsco diaphragm pomp. Much better, and a hell of a lot quieter. It has 5 diaphragm chambers instead of the normal 3, is cheaper, and has now lasted us 6 years.

http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pumps/bilge-pumps/dc-diaphragm-pumps/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back