Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We will need an inverter to charge our electric bikes when wild camping this year, we are having a 100W solar panel fitted soon, will a 300W inverter be sufficient to charge leccy bikes,? not both at once obviously.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the bikes charger should have a plate or sticker somewhere with the input wattage printed on.

Allow an extra 50% so the inverter isnt chewing its guts out delivering power at near its maximum output all the time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Never mind the inverter worry about whether your battery can charge two ebikes.

I think 300W is enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Will you be moving regularly? Could you connect an inverter to the vehicle battery and let the alternator charge the bike batteries when driving.

You could have a changeover switch to swap to the leisure batteries should you need the inverter when parked up. You would not want to leave it connected to the vehicle battery with the danger of flattening it.

Lunarman

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
When I purchased one of the AS Electric bikes I already had a 60w inverter, I did not expect it to be big enough to cope with the bike charger but it has coped for 4 years without over heating or other problems. When looking at the bike battery capacity do not forget that it is charged over a few hours so say a 240w battery charged over 4 hours is 60w but any losses need to be taken into account. I would expect the 300w inverter to cope easily but do keep the leads to it short.

Even on a good day the solar panel will struggle to keep up but but given a 4 hour charge time the solar panel could top up the leasure battery over the rest of the day. I have coped with a 80 Amp leasure battery and a 40w panel using them in this way.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Will you be moving regularly? Could you connect an inverter to the vehicle battery and let the alternator charge the bike batteries

We do tend to move on fairly frequently, every couple of days or so, but now we are both retired, we may well linger longer, you have to let the alcohol get absorbed properly don't you.!
How do others with leech bikes manage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How do others with leech bikes manage?

I simply failed last Aug. Everything is against you, you ride during sunshine and charge when no sunshine.

Best way of working out loading is in Watt - Hours.

So Leisure battery 110Ah x 12 v = 1320Wh. Electricity stored.

Bike battery 20Ah x 24V = 240Wh x 2 bikes = 480Wh.

So with losses half my leisure battery goes into the bikes. These figures are for my bikes.

You can also consider the 100W panel. You'll be lucky to average half that over a good day ( guess ) so maybe 50W x 8h = 400Wh.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

made enquieries at newark show regarding solar panel to charge ann,s mobility scooter battery,his advice was to stay with the genny as it would take a roof full of solar panels and time issues,not only charges scooter but leisure bat laptop,phones etc best way for us
admittedly this is not for everyone,needs determaning viability:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back