Refillable gas system -- what did you fit and why? (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am intending to fit a refillable gas system and have settled on 2 refillable 11Kg bottles with an automatic regulator to switch between bottles.

There seem to be several systems; which systems have Funsters used and why did you choose it?

Norman

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
twin 11kg Gaslow with auto change over and external fill point

Fitted free by dealer and with a good discount

easy to fill, just drive up to LPG station and fill (like diesel)

Cheaper gas than Calor

No waste

No worries about running out

:thumb:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
gasit same as gaslow but a little cheaper fitted myself easy :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Norman,

I have 2x11kg Alugas cylinders fitted with an automatic changeover. I chose Alugas cylinders because of the weight.

I originally fitted only one with a calor 6kg as a backup. However I found that during the winter I used one cylinder with 5 days because even on hookup our water and heating was from gas because the boiler has no electric element. So I had a second fitted to give me longer between fill and also because breaking into the calor meant considerably more expensive gas. I can fill one 11kg alugas for about half the cost of a 6kg from calor.

If I was going top fit Steel cylinders I would fit a Gas-it system because it is much cheaper than gaslow system for the same thing. Except the bottles are red not yellow.

Obviously there is an initial outlay but the system can be transported between vans if I change or has a sale value should I no longer want it.

Hope this helps.

John

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Twin LPG Gaslow with auto chngeover
Why Gaslow? I got it cheap from a friend in the UK.
Had it first on our caravan then transfered twice onto mitorhomes.
I am very happy with the system but I understand Gasit is the same but cheaper.
I did have a problem with the regulater in France and damaged it trying to fix it
Gaslow replaced it without ever asking for the old unit and posted it to Belgium.
So for me top class service.

Mel

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have 2x 11Kg Gaslow, but opted for a manual changeover so we know when we are 'half way' through our gas. If I was to order one again I'd probably go for GasIT - same but cheaper as far as I can tell.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
2 x 11Kg Alugas with manual changeover. As John says, lower weight.

We can have one or both bottles open at the same time. Normally we have one bottle open and open the other when we are away whilst the first is getting low. It's no hardship to check the level every so often (I usually do it at the same time as emptying the Thetford cassette).

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Alugas for me.. chap was extremely helpful, sold me only what I needed and no more.. worked out £140 cheaper than Gaslow ( and Gaslow people just came across as sell sell sell.. not really interested in what I needed or wanted )
Had the system in for a few years now.. Love it to bits and reckon it has MORE than paid for its self

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Alugas for me.. chap was extremely helpful, sold me only what I needed and no more.. worked out £140 cheaper than Gaslow ( and Gaslow people just came across as sell sell sell.. not really interested in what I needed or wanted )
Had the system in for a few years now.. Love it to bits and [HI]reckon it has MORE than paid for its self[/HI]

The thing abut a refillable gas system (as with solar panels) is that it isn't all about cash. The real value for us is in allowing us more flexibility on how we use the van. I haven't tried any accurate costings but it's worth it ::bigsmile:

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I can recommend autogas 2000! I got an alugas 11kg bottle with external fill point fitted in October. Then to save messing on with a spare calor I went back to them and got a steel bottle as well. The rv steel bottle is great value and works with the light alugas bottle as well. We decided to fit the extra bottle ourselves and autogas 2000 were great! I got good advice and they answered all my questions.... I'm sure I will have more!!!!

The good thing about getting the system fitted by someone who has a no site lpg pump means they can show you how to fill up and what to expect.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
2 x 11kg Alugas cylinders for the weight saving and fitted a Gaslow auto changeover valve which I only use on those rare occasions the in service bottle is getting very low late at night or in poor weather. Absolutely magic win win all the way, no more struggling to change bottles after a few glasses of red.

And despite those claiming they never pay for themselves absolute tosh, savings start once fitted and easily sold on fleabay should the worst happen.

One of my best ever accessory purchases :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Gas-it for me. Two reasons:

1. They are cheaper than the competition,

2. They are based close to where I live.

I elected not to have an automatic changeover as emptying one bottle signals "fill up" time while still having a full cylinder left to use.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I elected not to have an automatic changeover as emptying one bottle signals "fill up" time while still having a full cylinder left to use.

I can see that, but the advantage of automatic is that you don't run out at an inconvenient (middle of a cold night!) time. The change over valve goes from green to red so you still know when the first one has emptied.

For me it's all about convenience :thumb:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Had Alugas system with external fill point fitted to previous van with 1 x 11kg cylinder (fitted by Dave Newell). Chose Alugas because we were very tight on payload on this van. When we changed to our current van we had the Alugas cylinder swapped over and then just had to pay for another external gas point to be fitted.
We also bought all the various different filler connections for Europe.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
refillable gas systems

Hi, we went for 2 x 11kg Gas low, fitted by Edgehill Motorhomes where we bought the van. I'd only ever heard if and seen Gas low up to then so didn't shop around. Its a personal choice, but I prefer manual changeovers and don't find the checking of the cylinder level a chore. I always fill up when one is empty. Reasons for fitting?
Running costs obviously but that wasn't the main reason.
No longer having to lug heavy cylinders around, or hope they have one in stock when you need one.
Plenty of places you can fill up, home and abroad.
High quality cylinders and pipes.
I can't see us ever switching back.:thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We went for one 11kg bottle from Gas It. Fitted it with the help of Bob and Jane. Very helpful at Gasit only sold us what we needed. We store the van so it's been invaluable. I have also done the figures and it has nearly paid for itself.

Sonja

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I went for 2x11KG Alugas bottles from Auotgas 2000 Ltd & fitted them myself. Great customer service, great system & they give a discount to 'fully paid up' funsters. Also, as I had purchased the system from them they gave us a discount on the euro adaptors I purchased a couple of months later. ::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I went for a 2 x 6kg Gaslow system with auto changeover which is very good. Just changing it for a fixed LPG tank but only because I got a brand new unwanted tank and fittings at a very good price. Needless to say, I now have a very Gaslow system in very good condition up for sale........

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Gasit 1 x 11Kg bottle system .Reasons :

Gasit customer service was very good .Fair advice on what was best for our requirements . No attempt to try and sell us what we didnt need.

Cost ( at the time ) for the kit was a fair bit cheaper than Gaslow .

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I can see that, but the advantage of automatic is that you don't run out at an inconvenient (middle of a cold night!) time. The change over valve goes from green to red so you still know when the first one has emptied.

For me it's all about convenience :thumb:

Chocks, I have an Eberspacher heater so no problems with running out of gas during the night heating wise. "Fridge wise", not sure how long that would last.

Did I mention I was paranoid?
:winky:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Alugas, because of the weight. Fitted by Dave Newell great chap.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We bought the steel one from Autogas 2000 with a funster discount, really good service very helpful over the phone. We only went for the one bottle as we still work we are never away for more than a week in the winter so shouldn't run out, in the summer we are away longer but use less gas as do t need heating.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am intending to fit a refillable gas system and have settled on 2 refillable 11Kg bottles with an automatic regulator to switch between bottles.

There seem to be several systems; which systems have Funsters used and why did you choose it?

Norman

Well a couple of days later I think we can all agree that we have offered the O.P useful answers :thumb:

Refillable? for those of us that have answered it's a big YES :thumb:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Norman. I can only agree with all the above.. I fitted Gas-it because it was cheaper than Gaslow. I only fitted 1 x 11kg bottle because that leaves room in our gas locker for the Cadac gas BBQ, so is ideal and, as the gauge starts to work when the bottle is half full, it gives you plenty of time to find a top-up place.. Saves Sooooo much effort (and cash !!)
You only have to cut a hole in the van side panel to mount the external fill point.. Simples !!
Half an hour tops... Good luck.. Mitch.. :thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Norman

Thanks to you all, just the sort of helpful response I have come to expect from my Funster friends. I have been in touch with Autogas who offered me good advice and are sending me a proforma schedule with all the parts and prices quoted (£560) and as JC Newell are next door to them in Thirsk they will arrange with him to fit it at the Peterborough show thus saving me delivery charges.

My only reservation is do I need 2 11kg bottles? As I have a Webasto heater I don't use gas for heating, I only use it for cooking (No oven in our mh) hot water and for the fridge, which is on all the time as we seldom use campsites.
Last year a gas bottle lasted 4 weeks so we took 2 calor 11Kg bottles and ran out the last week of our 8 week holiday. (The weather got warmer and the fridge worked harder) I want to avoid this happening! I don't think having one bottle makes sense and the cost saving of having one 11Kg and one 6kg bottle I don't think will make that much difference.

So I think I will go for 2 x 11kg bottles

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
2x11kg Alugas because of the weight with external fill point and individual LED gauges inside the van. If one is getting low and I think it might run out during the night I just switch them over. I normally refill when one bottle is empty so always have plenty of gas.

The major advantage, apart from weight saving, is the ability to fill up abroad.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Norman.. If you have Webasto for heating, I would only fit one 11kg bottle, remember ,,
they are re-fillable !!! Loads of petrol stations to fill up at in most places.. Have a look on-line at gas stations in the countries you intend to visit.. Just my opinion.. Good luck..
Mitch..

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I'm completely new to this and haven't even got my first motorhome yet (Bailey 625 being delivered on the 1st March), so what I would really like to know is where I can take it to thats close(ish) to my home in Tewkesbury to get a refillable system fitted, what do I need (the Bailey brochure says it takes 2x10kg bottles), how much is it likely to cost if all the work is done for me by a pro and should I shop around on price?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction. If I do any of the work myself there is no doubt that a fiery fireball will be the end result!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Had Alugas system with external fill point fitted to previous van with 1 x 11kg cylinder (fitted by Dave Newell). Chose Alugas because we were very tight on payload on this van. When we changed to our current van we had the Alugas cylinder swapped over and then just had to pay for another external gas point to be fitted.
We also bought all the various different filler connections for Europe.

i'm considering having the system fitted when i return to the uk but how easy is it to find station in europe for refilling i have heard stories that its hard finding a gas station in spain ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back