Overnight stops in scotland (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
After a stay in the Lake District we will be visiting friends in Kinlochbervie north west Scotland this year. We intend to do the trip up there with just 2 stop overs, but coming home we would like to take our time.
Our question is can any of you recommend some overnight stops, pub carparks included. Would like to drive mainly on A roads as we are newbies.
Dave & Sandra. :winky:

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
Don't know if it's on your route but the Green Welly Stop in Tyndrum has free overnight parking at the back for motor homes. We were in a campsite there last year and when I was walking the dog at 6am I spotted a motorhome parked at the back, I went back later to make enquiries and was told its ok to park overnight there, you give your registration number to the petrol station staff but there's no charge. We stayed there later in the year, we arrived late and the petrol station was closed but we parked up anyway and had no problems. It was our first night out with a campsite and hopefully not the last. Alison

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
After a stay in the Lake District we will be visiting friends in Kinlochbervie north west Scotland this year. We intend to do the trip up there with just 2 stop overs, but coming home we would like to take our time.
Our question is can any of you recommend some overnight stops, pub carparks included. Would like to drive mainly on A roads as we are newbies.
Dave & Sandra. :winky:

Whats your planned route? Theres an investment park just off the M73 at junct 2A near Glasgow. This is not finished yet so still empty but its in a nice area and just directly off the motorway. There is a park n ride further along but the trains go off at 11.30pm so you would have a peaceful night sleep. You could of course park in the car park and walk through the underpass to the local country pub.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Route not decided yet. Probably A835, A9 down to Glasgow to pick up the M74 or come back via Fort William and loch Lomond.
Dave & Sandra. ::bigsmile:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This place is less than 2 miles from M74. M73 takes you straight onto M74 so would be handy, but if your looking so stop off further down then try looking at the M74 Johnstonebridge..details are under the wildcamping section.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Would like to drive mainly on A roads as we are newbies.
Be warned - up here in the north of Scotland, just because a road is classed as an A road, it doesn't mean it will be nice and wide. As an example, the A87 towards Skye has a stretch of a couple of miles that is single carriageway - but don't let that put you off cos it's a fantastic route. Also, be ready for the road around Loch Lomond as it is particularly narrow in parts - and lots of large vehicles use it :Eeek:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Route not decided yet. Probably A835, A9 down to Glasgow to pick up the M74 or come back via Fort William and loch Lomond.
Dave & Sandra. ::bigsmile:

I would do all I can to avoid the Loch Lomond option, it is an A road, but narrow twisty and fast with too many lorries for my liking. Get up over Rannoch Moor and use the Green Welly option as listed above (thanks again Alison, we paid to park opposite last year), then down through the Trossachs IMO a much nicer route if not in a rush

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
Taken the Loch Lomond route a few times with a caravan and the motorhome. The motorhome was much easier but it's not exactly a relaxing route.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
As I type this I am sitting in Glencoe, ok very 'light' showers today. Wee look round village (again) tomorrow. If you are not a confident dodgem driver avoid A82 down Lomond side + had several road works on way up Monday. Use Stirling option or down through Inveraray. If you get to Glasgow and need any information just send me a note on here. Show you cheap options in the city.

jimcunliffe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Bacup,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
21/2 years
scotland

Dave & Sandra
Dont be put off from loch lomond route it is stunning!.
Julie and myself ,both newbies and on our first trip to Scotland did this at New Year and really enjoyed the drive.
Our route took us from Lancashire via the motorway network to Glasgow the across the Erskine bridge to Helensburgh for an overnight stop at the rear of the leisure centre for an undisturbed nights sleep.
Then along the firth of clyde to Garelochhead following Loch Long then right turn to Tarbet.At Tarbet its left turn to follow Loch lomond all the way to Crianlarich a fantastic road, wide enough on most of it to let large vehicles pass each other,but you will still need to concentrate.
As an aside ,along the left side of this road is the rail line to Crianlarich and this blew me away in terms of engineering,how did they do it!!.
From Crianlarich left turn and over Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe to the Green Welly.
Dont know what the Green Wellys like in summer but end of December and nowhere to park even for a short time.
We turned around and after watching skiers racing down the Glen Coe ski runs made the short journey to Killin a small village on the north shores of Loch Tay.
The campsite at Killin was under 2foot of water so we stayed at the village hall car park, and ate and drank at the Killin Arms Hotel just 100 yards away.
We then followed Loch Tay for its full length coming out onto the A9 just south of Pitlochry where we stayed on a car park with marked caravan/motorhome bays for 2 nights including New Years Eve.There is so much to see in Scotland when off the dual carriageways.The roads were all easyish if driven carefully and at the correct speed .Please dont miss out by sticking to the larger roads .

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Go for it. It's worth it. Just keep your speed down and your head up and you'll be fine. Been on some really narrow and iffy roads but never got stuck yet. Have now got hi vis stickers on my wing mirrors though.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Don't know if it's on your route but the[HI] Green Welly Stop in Tyndrum [/HI]has free overnight parking at the back for motor homes. We were in a campsite there last year and when I was walking the dog at 6am I spotted a motorhome parked at the back, I went back later to make enquiries and was told its ok to park overnight there, you give your registration number to the petrol station staff but there's no charge. We stayed there later in the year, we arrived late and the petrol station was closed but we parked up anyway and had no problems. It was our first night out with a campsite and hopefully not the last. Alison

... and great fish and chips at the "Real Food Cafe" just a hundred yards or so down the road on the other side. We too stayed in the camp-site about 400 yards further down but would use the Green Welly if passing by again...:thumb:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012

... and great fish and chips at the "Real Food Cafe" just a hundred yards or so down the road on the other side. We too stayed in the camp-site about 400 yards further down but would use the Green Welly if passing by again...:thumb:

Another vote for the fish and chips, we pass the Green Welly at least once a month and treat ourselves if the timing is right. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back