Back window letting water in! (1 Viewer)

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Went to visit our van in storage a couple of days ago to find the u shaped rear lounge cushions wet!!!
After a small panic we spotted the water was coming in from the bottom of the back window, pooling on the seal then running down the wall on to the upholstery.
The roof slopes from front to back so rainwater always runs down the back of the van to the window.I can't see why the window seal is being breached by the water. I've duck taped a large plastic bag over it & taken the cushions home to dry them out.
I went back to check again yesterday and was relieved to find no more water & the wooden slats were drying out nicely. I've searched the web to find a likely cause for this but all I've come up with is that the seal itself may need replacing or possibly just needs a thorough clean to encourage the plastic window to seal against it properly.
Obviously I don't want to kick off this years adventures with a plastic bag taped to the back ::bigsmile: so does any one out there have any ideas or has this happened to any of you?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
This happened to my Auto-sleeper although it was side windows, I had new windows and frames in and the other windows were resealed with new rubber seals and sealant, all fine now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Went to visit our van in storage a couple of days ago to find the u shaped rear lounge cushions wet!!!
After a small panic we spotted the water was coming in from the bottom of the back window, pooling on the seal then running down the wall on to the upholstery.
The roof slopes from front to back so rainwater always runs down the back of the van to the window.I can't see why the window seal is being breached by the water. I've duck taped a large plastic bag over it & taken the cushions home to dry them out.
I went back to check again yesterday and was relieved to find no more water & the wooden slats were drying out nicely. I've searched the web to find a likely cause for this but all I've come up with is that the seal itself may need replacing or possibly just needs a thorough clean to encourage the plastic window to seal against it properly.
Obviously I don't want to kick off this years adventures with a plastic bag taped to the back ::bigsmile: so does any one out there have any ideas or has this happened to any of you?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions:thumb:

Could it just be wind driven rain after the horizontal weather lately

It was in my daughters flat

Just a thought you could play a hose or watering can on it
To find the entry point otherwise

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We have had 2 Windows leak on our apache. Had them both resealed and no probs since. Fortunate to get them done under warranty no quible. Glad we had them done ...sat here this evening on site in Yorkshire and abs pelting down !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
galley window sprang a leak in our old kontiki.....and it was the only leak, ever...before the kontiki knockers start :roflmto:..

the sealant at the top of the frame had failed and water was finding its way into the window frame, running down and dripping out of the bottom channel onto the worktop.

window frame out, new sealant and window put back in.
no more leaks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
We had the same problem, we ran a bead of clear silicon sealant along the top edge. Sorted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back