Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've just been browsing web sites looking for the best deal on sim only data roaming. Then it dawned on me that you guys will already know the answer.

I don't need it for phone calls or texts, just the data roaming stuff, and even then it is only to check emails and minor browsing.

Thanks in advance, it is so reassuring to know that this site is the font of all wisdom.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use a data only SIM from www.Globalgig.com

A little bit pricey at £40 a month unless you have a yearly contract.
Saves me searching when I get to a different country for a specific SIM card.
you can pay more for a higher data allowance but works for me.
Lots of wi fi about so use that when I can but when it's not available I use the data.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Europa sim, €3 a day, (only on the days you actually use it) unlimited data, first 500mb at high speed, then continues at slow speed, but even slow speed is ok for mails and surfing

Works all over Europe.

£30 + up front for the sim with €5 credit, and a also small charge when you top up.

....it does what it says on the tin.....

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Thanks Devon Beekeper. I spotted that but it is for orange pay monthly customers.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Joe mobile..brilliant for France only. free sim and 20euros per month for 3 gb, by direct debit which you can stop and start anytime on the internet via its own website.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Europa sim, €3 a day, (only on the days you actually use it) unlimited data, first 500mb at high speed, then continues at slow speed, but even slow speed is ok for mails and surfing

Works all over Europe.

£30 + up front for the sim with €5 credit, and a also small charge when you top up.

....it does what it says on the tin.....

That sounds interesting. Will it work in a mobile WiFi thingy? I did get an unlocked one.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Orange is currently cheapest, £1/day but not a lot of data allowed. Enough for emails but not much else. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-data-roaming

Orange's coverage is pretty good, especially France of course. Not sure about others, except I had a lot of problems with O2 in France last year.

I did buy an Orange mobile broadband WiFi thing and has worked well but can't seem to top up online. So I have to go to an Orange shop and also get them to activate it for me as you need a fixed line and can't activate it via my UK mobile.

The other thing I do is buy a "Lets Go" top up in a "Presse" shop and then go to the tourist office and ask them to phone as its a Free number.

But by the time I get to France this year my number may have been inactivated as it will be more than six months. Will try though in May at an Orange shop.

I usually buy a months top up at a time but it would be nice to be able to do it online. I did register online but still can't do it.

In Germany I bought a Vodafone Dongle "Web Sessions" That works well but would have preferred a WiFi thing but couldn't find one. However I have no problems doing a top up online.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
http://m.mobi-data.co.uk
This has got to be worth a look , I asked about it on here last week, but no one seems to know anything about it, neither do I ,I'm afraid but it looks cheap to me if it works:thumb:
You have to click on terms and conditions to see more about it

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The problem with mobi-data is they have a website which looks as if it was put together by an 11 year old in their bedroom. It may well be pucker but the front page is very unclear and contradictory.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Devon Beekeper. I spotted that but it is for orange pay monthly customers.

It is for PAYG customers also. If you'd like to compare all UK providers and their roaming costs, see here: Link Removed

Mobi-data is 15p per Mb (same as Toggle) so nothing special in that regard. GlobalGig is a contract: .

Ultimately a local SIM will always work out cheaper if you can obtain one and understand how to use it.

Hope that helps.

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
EuropaSim every time - have used it UK, France Germany, Portugal and Spain. for 3 euros / 2.65 pounds you got 500mb and then limited www access, which is fast enough for web pages, emails and basic downloading ( slow but works )

No need to change settings or worry about getting signals as it locks onto Vodafone and failing that any other network. 3G speed is very fast.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Quote: Mobi-data is 15p per Mb (same as Toggle) so nothing special in that regard. GlobalGig is a contract: .

Mobi-data is 0.15p per Mb x 500mb = 7.5 pounds a day - EuropaSim is 3 euros 2.28 pounds a day.............. and after that still access data for nothing.......

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ignore this - I made a duplicate post somehow.

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i got a europasim today does this thing have to be registered or is it just put it in the mifi and off u go ?

M

Madwife

Deleted User
I just put it in the Mifi and it appears to work as picked up Vodaphone UK. We haven't used it as yet and when I went on line before leaving home to top it up the website was temporarily closed.

Kath

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I recently used my Europa Sim in my TP Link both from Motorhome wi fi , in Spain.
Site wi fi often poor but with sim always able to access net:thumb:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I used Le French Mobile http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/ last year and found it very easy. It had a good signal and I was able to tether. I didn't use up all of the allowance and used the internet most days to check emails, upload some pics, look up some routes on google maps and made a few calls back home.

Data gets pricey outside of France but when in France it wasn't to bad and everything in English made life easier.

Steve

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i got a europasim today does this thing have to be registered or is it just put it in the mifi and off u go ?

Hi Bill, if you bought it from us ukbill (and even if you didn't), you need to provide a photo ID in order to activate the SIM. If you have not done so and received your EuropaSIM activation confirmation and number the SIM won't work and shouldn't be placed into a device.

I just put it in the Mifi and it appears to work as picked up Vodaphone UK. We haven't used it as yet and when I went on line before leaving home to top it up the website was temporarily closed. Kath

Hi Kath, you would have had the SIM activated prior to this. Do make sure you manually specify the APN even if the 'correct' settings appear to be detected or else additional charges may result. Also remember that you can manually specify a network preference (eg 3G only) and the unit will use any available network not just Vodafone UK.

If anyone ever needs any help about EuropaSIM (even if you didn't purchase from us) you know where I am.

Adam

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
DL /passport

Hi Bill, if you bought it from us ukbill (and even if you didn't), you need to provide a photo ID in order to activate the SIM. If you have not done so and received your EuropaSIM activation confirmation and number the SIM won't work and shouldn't be placed into a device.

Hi Kath, you would have had the SIM activated prior to this. Do make sure you manually specify the APN even if the 'correct' settings appear to be detected or else additional charges may result. Also remember that you can manually specify a network preference (eg 3G only) and the unit will use any available network not just Vodafone UK.

If anyone ever needs any help about EuropaSIM (even if you didn't purchase from us) you know where I am.

Adam

Would a photo driving lic be OK or must it be a passport?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Would a photo driving lic be OK or must it be a passport?

Any 'EU Photo ID' ie Driving Licence or Passport is fine. We did try once with a bus pass on a customers instance, it was rejected! :Doh: It is not stored by us, they are submitted and deleted once validated.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Internet

Hi

As far as I am aware, the Europa Sim is basically on a "Vodafone Italia" platform. The same three euro per day if paid direct to Vodafone Italia fives you 50 minutes of calls (25 minutes outward and 25 minutes inwards), 50 text messages and unlimited internet access - yes all for three euro per day in most European countries including places the like Isle of Man that have their own network.

You will need a Vodafone Italia card though. This is a promotion that ends in June, but historically, it keeps rolling over.

Don't forget THREE mobile in the UK is the same price as your UK tariff in certain other countries such as Austria, Italy, Ireland etc.

Russell

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Roll over

Hi

As far as I am aware, the Europa Sim is basically on a "Vodafone Italia" platform. The same three euro per day if paid direct to Vodafone Italia fives you 50 minutes of calls (25 minutes outward and 25 minutes inwards), 50 text messages and unlimited internet access - yes all for three euro per day in most European countries including places the like Isle of Man that have their own network.

You will need a Vodafone Italia card though. This is a promotion that ends in June, but historically, it keeps rolling over.

Don't forget THREE mobile in the UK is the same price as your UK tariff in certain other countries such as Austria, Italy, Ireland etc.

Russell

I hope you are right about this being a promotion that rolls over. I just bought
The sim which the website says is valid for 12 months, nothing about a promotion ending in June. There will be some unhappy bunnies, me included, if it were to end.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
from what i read before buying it is it is a lifetime sim so long as u have made a topup then each time u do its valid for 12mths
as for my registering it seems i have to send a photo copy of id a passport or a id card a pic driving license is not accepted ?

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
from what i read before buying it is it is a lifetime sim so long as u have made a topup then each time u do its valid for 12mths
as for my registering it seems i have to send a photo copy of id a passport or a id card a pic driving license is not accepted ?

I sent a copy of my UKdriving lic last night, they have replied that they have received it and activation is in progress, also see my question re identification and the reply above. DL with photo is fine.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
ok i will send l8ers see if it works i know enough about sims but this 1 got me by the balls and wouldnt let go :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back