MPPT V Standard Solar Controller. (2 Viewers)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
have scanned our hallowed pages (many of them) and several on line forums and what I'm trying to establish is - is there, in the real world of MoHoming, distinct and measurable benefits in MPPT controllers over their standard counterparts? Other than a few anecdotes MPPT seems the way forward for my upcoming solar fitment jobby, but I stand to be corrected. I sat down and read the science behind the MPPT's and understand the 'potential' benefits - I'm looking for the real in use benefits, not so much the sales pitch type.
:Blush:
Any real life examples from our trusted Funster colleagues on this one, perhaps where someone has changed from one type to another and a 'eureka' moment was had.
:roflmto:
As always there is the 'bang for buck' thought - so are they really worth the extra expense????????

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless you sit all day watching amp and volt meters i doubt you would notice any real difference.

That said, i would alway go for MPPT over PWM.

bit like using a twin tub or an automatic washer....they both do the job but the auto does it better

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Techno 100 will be the man to ask. A lot of people have and recommend this MPPT controller from Taiwan: Link Removed. Not really too much 'extra expense' at that sort of price.

I decided ordered the above but then decided I wanted a remote display and so opted for a MorningStar RM25 which was £75 - but still wondering if a MPPT would have been better.

Recently put 200w of solar on my van for about £280: http://www.europebycamper.com/2013/12/200w-solar-panel-install.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Open up a PWM unit and you'll find the contents to be remarkably lacking :roflmto:

This is the mppt I use and there is simply no comparisson. My own personal installation has often produced more amps than the claimed output of the panels
MPPT-L.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Equivalent rated PWM regulator :ROFLMAO:

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Open up a PWM unit and you'll find the contents to be remarkably lacking :roflmto:

This is the mppt I use and there is simply no comparisson. My own personal installation has often produced more amps than the claimed output of the panels
MPPT-L.jpg

Woah! That's some difference aye?....... Sacre Blurr! :Eeek:

TIC, I opened an iPhone up once to change the cracked screen and really sat down, in my Homer Simpson way, and thought - 'how the hell do they get all that technology in there'....... :roflmto:

What panels, MPPT, cabling etc do you use Techno - suppliers??????

I've had several quotes now for systems fitted, supplied and I fit (which I would love to do) with varying costs v quality questions I have/been going through. I'm seriously thinking along the lines of 2 X 100w panels to my 110ah leisure batts - just want to get this controller sorted/understood.

Thanks for the 'opened up' demo - I understand, it's just one of those 'I gotta have a look in here' moments.
:roflmto:
Regards,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I cannot vouch for ALL MPPT regulators as I know there are ones out there that are not what they claim but I've used this model right from its MK I version , must be about three years now . The product support is first class.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

I added 3 new 80 w panels and MPPT controller to our existing 80 w panel with morningstar PWM controller.

Once all fitted up the new panels were producing around 25% or 30% more power on a pro rata basis than the original panel on the PWM controller especially when the sun was low or not full on.

This simple test in itself was not very scientific so I then changed the original PWM controller for another MPPT and the single panel then caught up (pro rata) with the output of the other three panels.

My conclusion is that YES it is possible to get up to 25% or 30% more power with MPPT especially in poor sun conditions.

I fitted Vontronic controllers.

Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What panels, MPPT, cabling etc do you use Techno - suppliers??????

Everything off ebay always. Panels vary depending on time of year and what is for sale. Click my signature picture !
I use 6mm solar cable.
My solars feed my rear 375ah battery bank, the overflow charge is sent to the front 230AH battery bank which feeds the Habitation 12 volt requirements while the rear bank supplies my 1800 watt inverter through my autochangeover relay to supply the 230volt sockets.
My changeover switch allows bank selection, combination or isolation.
CA_07071314284820-L.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've never had a failure.It's no more likely to fail than the TV. I do recall you have a thing about bumps :roflmto: Perhaps your suspension needs looking at :thumb:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
So Techno - a pair of pants and a toothbrush and your on your GVW????
That's more power than Hinkly B puts out.
:roflmto::Eeek::roflmto:

That is some overall system - mine will be somewhat 'modest' in comparison.

Clicked picture????

Regards,

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Also from Techno100 (Andy) Broken Link Removed instructions for fitting solar panels. (see further down thread)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Techno 100 will be the man to ask. A lot of people have and recommend this MPPT controller from Taiwan: Link Removed. Not really too much 'extra expense' at that sort of price.

I decided ordered the above but then decided I wanted a remote display and so opted for a MorningStar RM25 which was £75 - but still wondering if a MPPT would have been better.

Recently put 200w of solar on my van for about £280: http://www.europebycamper.com/2013/12/200w-solar-panel-install.html

looking at the blurb on your MPPT controller there is an off-take for a bank of batteries and an off-take for a load circuit. The same as on my MPPT Controller. Literature with mine does not mention split charging.

You say you are charging your Veh batt, is that from the load off-take ?

Then how are you splitting the juice 90 - 10 % ?

I am on the starters blocks to install mine. ::bigsmile: so very interested, and thanks for the link to your install. :thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You say you are charging your Veh batt, is that from the load off-take ?

Then how are you splitting the juice 90 - 10 % ?

I am on the starters blocks to install mine. ::bigsmile: so very interested, and thanks for the link to your install. :thumb:

Mine is not MPPT - it is just PWR. There are separate terminals for leisure and cab batteries and so the 90/10 split is in favour of the hab batteries as we do run a few things off the cab battery when parked up also.

Andy/Techno100 - Can I ask if on the Taiwanese MPPT regulator connecting your load to the load outputs has any effect on its charging other than displaying the load on the LCD?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Mppt with a load connected does not display how much load is being used. The display will simply show a lower charge to the battery as though it has deducted what the load is taking. When there is no charge it will just show the battery voltage as it is under load

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is the MK II that has no permanent display but customer feedback changed that for the MK III that I now have. The display is constant now and illuminated at the push of the button.

MKII with coolbox connected to load terminals
CA_05071315383347-L.jpg

MK III
CA_08191321514312-L.jpg

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi Kev can't seem to send any pictures with a pm there's no attach files bit!
So here's a picture of my roof ,managed to get back early today.

Vlad.

Sikaflex. 512 used .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use 512 252 is much dearer
I don't give you a warranty :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Kev can't seem to send any pictures with a pm there's no attach files bit!
So here's a picture of my roof ,managed to get back early today.

Vlad.

Sikaflex. 512 used .

Thanks for that Vlad - yours is identical to ours (I suppose it should be too) :roflmto:

Yep, the positioning of yours is slightly different than I imagined ours to be, but for sure your photo opens up all possibilities - like the Wife just said, "Ooooo look, we could get another one in there"..... I must learn to keep her away from all this technical stuff :Eeek:

Many Thanks,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You must consider your payload!! before getting carried away :Eeek:
I have the benefit of a 4250kg chassis

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Thanks for that Vlad - yours is identical to ours (I suppose it should be too) :roflmto:

Yep, the positioning of yours is slightly different than I imagined ours to be, but for sure your photo opens up all possibilities - like the Wife just said, "Ooooo look, we could get another one in there"..... I must learn to keep her away from all this technical stuff :Eeek:

Many Thanks,

I was going to say to you, check the size of the panels, and whether they fit/ or where. Mine has turned out to be a big sod and had to put up front with attached complications, heavier and more cable, but you and vlad look sorted. :Smile:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I want to do or have a solar panel installation done asap on our Adria 707si - reading through the threads, I just wondered if it would be best to use the Schaudt solar controller which would integrate with the Schaudt electroblok installed as factory fitment in the MH or to go with one of these "newer" controllers. Advice and info appreciated as I am keen to get going on the panel installation or seek out a knowledgeable mobile fitter.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I want to do or have a solar panel installation done asap on our Adria 707si - reading through the threads, I just wondered if it would be best to use the Schaudt solar controller which would integrate with the Schaudt electroblok installed as factory fitment in the MH or to go with one of these "newer" controllers. Advice and info appreciated as I am keen to get going on the panel installation or seek out a knowledgeable mobile fitter.

What model number of EBL does your van have?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I'm the exact same position. I think the Schaudt regulator, be PWM would be easier to fit. It will charge at 18A so should be good for a couple of 100Ah is batteries. It will also split charge and the leads to connect to an Electroblok are in the box. Still not decided over MPTT though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back