Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just been in Motorhome to check everything is OK when I noticed a smell of 'rotten eggs' and immediately suspected Leisure Battery and sure enough I was right!
I always leave Motorhome connected to mains hook up at home and I assume charger - Trickle Charges. Is it possible to overcharge doing this? I recently checked fluid levels in battery and all seemed ok - I should say that my second Leisure Battery failed about 6 months ago and I have just been using 1 x single since. Both batteries were/are the same age three and a half years old.

Any info as to how to check charger would be helpful,

Thanks,

Rob

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Have you got access to an ammeter?.....put that in line with the pos battery lead and see what the reading is....if its a trickle charge it should be roughly 1 amp or less...

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Have you got access to an ammeter?.....put that in line with the pos battery lead and see what the reading is....if its a trickle charge it should be roughly 1 amp or less...

Thanks for quick reply. I have and I will check it out tomorrow.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Thanks for quick reply. I have and I will check it out tomorrow.

Rob
remember you have to take the lead off the battery and connect one lead to the battery lead and the other to the battery post....(in series) otherwise you get no reading....and if you get a neg reading just swap the leads over

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

It would be safer to measure voltage if not used to using electronic test gear. With the charger on, the voltage should be between 12.6V and 13.7V. If over, the charger may not be smart enough to be left connected. This assumes the battery is definitely fully charged.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if one failed six months ago and this one is now overcharging i would definately be looking at the charger.

Unless, of course, both batteries are coming to the end of useful life

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Agree, best to use a voltmeter.

Standard lead acid cell float voltage is 2.25 volts DC. 12volt battery has 6 cells therefore normal float voltage is 13.5 volts.

Normally the cell voltage should not normally exceed 2.45 volts per cell = 14.7

Charge voltages can depend on the type of charger used and how sophisticated. Simple ones will only provide a fixed voltage that may appear to rise as the battery charges up and the current drawn reduces. Smart ones have a voltage profile programmed in so that the charge function is optimised.

Have a look at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back