Hymer B544 batteries and charging (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

The old fella's been standing since September on the drive due to me being in a cast and unable to drive or do much else. Been connected to power and I've been switching it on for a few days a month to keep batteries active. Despite this, she hasn't wanted to start and the main battery seems flat! If I connect a separate trickle charger and leave it for a day it seems to hold the charge enough to start, but a few days later nothing.

It's in for a service/MOT etc in a week so I know I need a new battery, what I cannot quite get though is that it puts a charge in from a trickle charger, but not sufficient when left for a few days on the internal charger, (the auxiliary battery is charging ok and not a problem).

I thought it did both, or trickled between the two bats...am I wrong?

Cheers all, Dave

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I thought it did both, or trickled between the tow bats...am I wrong?
No Dave, you are not wrong. The onboard Electroblock (EBL) charger charges both batteries at the same time, but at slightly different rates.

I don't know why your starter battery isn't taking a charge from the EBL, when it is taking a charge from the external charger, unless a fuse for that circuit has blown maybe. :whatthe:

If it's not holding a charge, it does sound like that battery is shot. :Sad:

Good luck with it. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
No Dave, you are not wrong. The onboard Electroblock (EBL) charger charges both batteries at the same time, but at slightly different rates.

I don't know why your starter battery isn't taking a charge from the EBL, when it is taking a charge from the external charger, unless a fuse for that circuit has blown maybe. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock.

That's interesting Jock, in the summer I had a main battery terminal go loose and she wouldn't start. I sorted that, but the loose connection when I tried to start the engine resulted in the main fuse for the auxiliary battery blowing! I replaced that no probs. But I'm now wondering if I do have more blown fuses. Any idea where that fuse might be? In the electroblock?

Cheers for that Jock!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Cheers,

Jock.[/QUOTE

Or could be another circuit taking power from your starter battery.
Suggest you charge the battery then disconnect it and then check the voltage in a couple of days

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago. The Hymer had been standing in the drive for some weeks and I had to start and move it round the house for water, then back into the drive for a few hours. Later that day, I got it back out of the drive and stopped at the other side of the house again to load some more things. Tried to start for departure and ..... flat!
I left it plugged in overnight, but next morning the starter still would not turn.
The EBL will float charge the vehicle battery once the leisure batteries are full. In my case, the vehicle battery was knackered and no amount of float charging was going to get it to a state where it would turn the engine. So the nice man from RAC called and I went off to Halfords to buy a new battery. An hour later we were off on our journey.

Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Have you checked the large fuse by starter battery and leisure battery/ies? :thumb:

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
I had a very similar experience as Jeanluc,I put a new engine battery on and the problem was solved.
Incidently the engine battery I took off was 7years old:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Incidently the engine battery I took off was 7years old:thumb:
And that was the exactly the same age/circumstances in which our engine battery failed. :Sad:

Like I said, if the starter battery's not holding a charge, it's shot. :Sad:

A decent starter battery of the required cranking amperage, should cost anywhere from £60 to £80 + delivery (in some cases).

>>Low price<<

>>Medium Price<<

>>High Price<<

I can vouch for the customer service of Tayna Batteries, which was excellent. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks everyone for the tips and help.

I have it on charge now from a portable charger, will give it a good boost and then see how it looks. Cheers all.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back