LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, We have been trying for a week to get a lock onto the satellite for Sky, but with no success.

A number of people around us can get BBC 1 ITV and assorted free to view channels, and we expected this to be the right satellite for Sky as well. Unfortunately, we have found that if you can lock on the Sky satellite, which we cant, (although a couple with an 80 Cm dish connected straight away) you can only get Sky progs, not BBC1 etc.

We now have a perfect picture on the BBC1 through Astra 1N but we would much rather have the Sky programmes.

Can anyone offer any advice please.

Whilst trying everything to get a signal, one of our neighbours gave us information of a couple of great apps. One is called Satellite Director and the other Sat Finder Lite.

You just shake your phone, line it up with the LNB and the app will tell you not only where the satellite is, but if there are any obstructions! Brilliant idea, but unfortunately not very helpful if you want to lock onto Sky!

We appreciate any help or advice.

Ginny and Mike

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Get a book and a bottle of wine instead, much easier, or chat to your neighbours, get invited to a BBQ, much less hassle.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Get a book and a bottle of wine instead, much easier, or chat to your neighbours, get invited to a BBQ, much less hassle.

We are doing plenty of that, and enjoying ourselves on the rally, its just a shame that we cant, for the first time ever, have sky, with all its advantages.

Ginny

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Lock

Hi Teasy
This is what Eddie at Vanbitz suggested to me,
First don't turn your satellite on just your tele then tune it to QVC or SKY NEWS channel then turn your satellite on and wait for the television to find your selected channel.
Once you have a picture,turn off the satellite and it should be in the right position to receive SKY.:thumb:
Good luck hope that helps.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Ginny, I would say the trees are blocking the signal, they have not put the new satellite into action yet !
We end up there every year, and have no problem with a 1m dish.

Been here at Javea since November and get all the channels, and will not get a bigger one until we know how big we need to go. :RollEyes:

Had a chap on site selling 1.2m dishes telling people they will not be affected here with the new satellite. :whatthe: He must know more than anyone. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

PS I take it you still have your 1.2m dish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny, I would say the trees are blocking the signal, they have not put the new satellite into action yet !
We end up there every year, and have no problem with a 1m dish.

Been here at Javea since November and get all the channels, and will not get a bigger one until we know how big we need to go. :RollEyes:

Had a chap on site selling 1.2m dishes telling people they will not be affected here with the new satellite. :whatthe: He must know more than anyone. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

PS I take it you still have your 1.2m dish.

Hi Bob and Jane

Yes we still have the 1.2 dish. A lot of the trees at La Manga have been trimmed back hard and we have a clear line of sight to the satellite. We have the Avtex Satellite tv and that gets an excellent picture for BBC and free to air progs.

Are you coming to La Manga this year? we will be here, hopefully, until we leave for the Malaga rally.

I should be happy with what I have, but I bought Mike the subscription for Sky sports for Christmas and he is missing his football!!

Like you we are waiting to see what difference the new satellite will make before we invest in a new/bigger dish.

We look forward to seeing you soon

Ginny

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi, We have been trying for a week to get a lock onto the satellite for Sky, but with no success.

A number of people around us can get BBC 1 ITV and assorted free to view channels, and we expected this to be the right satellite for Sky as well. Unfortunately, we have found that if you can lock on the Sky satellite, which we cant, (although a couple with an 80 Cm dish connected straight away) you can only get Sky progs, not BBC1 etc.

We now have a perfect picture on the BBC1 through Astra 1N but we would much rather have the Sky programmes.

Can anyone offer any advice please.

Erm.

If you can receive BBC channels from 1N then you should also be able to receive most of the Sky pay channels also...there are a number of Sky pay channels on 1N also!
As Sky and BBC channels come from the same group of satellites, and in fact share 1N - there is no separate "Sky" satellite - just 4 UK TV satellites that all the broadcasters transmit from.
And some of the Sky Sports channels are on 1N also!
And you should get those on Eutelsat 28A, and Astra 2A - especially 2As south beam (which also carry some Sky Sports channels)
And those on 2Fs European beam.
All of which you should be easily able to receive on that sized dish where you are.
Which if you cannot receive check your cabling, LNB skew, and if you can another LNB...
As if you get BBC channels from 1N, then you should be able to receive all the other channels (perhaps bar those on 2As north beam - which include Sky movies and some SKy HD channels)

It is just those on 2Fs UK beam (C4HD, some ITVs, Fives) that you may struggle with - and come February, the BBC ITV C4s on the 2E UK beam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Erm.

If you can receive BBC channels from 1N then you should also be able to receive most of the Sky pay channels also...there are a number of Sky pay channels on 1N also!
As Sky and BBC channels come from the same group of satellites, and in fact share 1N - there is no separate "Sky" satellite - just 4 UK TV satellites that all the broadcasters transmit from.
And some of the Sky Sports channels are on 1N also!
And you should get those on Eutelsat 28A, and Astra 2A - especially 2As south beam (which also carry some Sky Sports channels)
And those on 2Fs European beam.
All of which you should be easily able to receive on that sized dish where you are.
Which if you cannot receive check your cabling, LNB skew, and if you can another LNB...
As if you get BBC channels from 1N, then you should be able to receive all the other channels (perhaps bar those on 2As north beam - which include Sky movies and some SKy HD channels)

It is just those on 2Fs UK beam (C4HD, some ITVs, Fives) that you may struggle with - and come February, the BBC ITV C4s on the 2E UK beam.

Thanks for the information but I am still out of luck. We have changed the LNB, checked the skew and the connectors. The picture on the Astra satellite tv is perfect and the signal strength on the Horizon meter was 80 and the quality 40%.

I have just tried to set up sky again and am unable to keep 12.207 in the frequency box, as soon as I go off it changes to the default. If I am locked on the wrong beam how do we change the dish to look at the correct beam? In the past as soon as we locked on with the Free view box it was the correct position for the Sky box.

Ginny

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I have just tried to set up sky again and am unable to keep 12.207 in the frequency box, as soon as I go off it changes to the default. If I am locked on the wrong beam how do we change the dish to look at the correct beam? In the past as soon as we locked on with the Free view box it was the correct position for the Sky box.

Ginny

The 12207 is only required to help the sky box download the channel list, when it cannot do it from the main 11778 frequency - when 11778 is unavailable.
Once that channel list has been downloaded, and the sky box is on sky channel 998, then your manually input default transponder frequency is ignored - as the sky box will use whichever of the 100plus frequencies it needs to use for the channel you have selected (12207 only carries about 10 channels including Sky News, Sky Sports, Pick TV).

It is perfectly normal for the sky box to revert back to 11778 - it will and it should. That is where it will always look for the full 7 day Sky Guide data, and the wonderful Sky Guide background music!

If your dish is aligned correctly, then it will pick up all the necessary beams from the 4 satellites. The satellites are located so close together a dish on earth sees them all as one.

But if you cannot even get the Sky pay channels that are also on the same satellite as the BBC channels you say you can get, then you really do have some issue...one which is not logical...
1N carries 388 free to air services, including a large number of BBC and ITV channels. It also carries 188 encrypted (Sky) services also - Sky Sports, Sky Arts 2, Sky News, - AND frequency 12207.
So it seems strange you can receive what are considered to be the harder 1N UK beam channels, but cannot receive the "easier" 1N European beam channels.

So are you getting BBC channels on your Sky box or your "Free to air" box?

(There is not such things as a "freeview" box for satellite - freeview is UK TV service via a tv aerial!)

If you are getting the BBC channels on your "free to air" box, but nothing is on the Sky box, then you have a connection issue or a signal conflict issue between your boxes, your sky box has gone.

If you know what regions BBC you are getting on your "free to air" box, then find that regions frequency (from your FTA box or Link Removed) , and input that into you sky box as the default transponder frequency. (1207 is not "exclusive", you can use any frequency you know you can receive. Therefore you know that if the FTA box can receive that frequency (as it is showing the relevant BBC region), then there is no reason why the sky box should not be able to receive that frequency. Unless you have not connected the sky box up correctly or there is a conflict along your system somewhere.

One last thing - make sure the LNB settings on the Sky box have not been changed - if they have then the sky box will not perform as it should,. You can reset the settings on the LNB screen by pressing the red button and then save.

Last edited:

safejourney

Free Member
Jan 3, 2014
uk
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Probably nothing to do with this problem but may help someone desperate in the future.... but try at own risk, DYOR etc.

A couple of weeks ago my Sky digibox wouldn't receive anything one morning. Tried powering it down/up a couple of times but no joy. I thought the hard drive must have failed and sent it into a terminal tizz. Anyway had a google and decided to try this:

Unplug power lead from digibox
While holding down the back up button on top of the box, connect power lead.
When message comes on screen about leave box alone for up to 10 minutes, release back-up button.
Cross fingers and cross toes.

Bingo.... not long after it was working perfectly. This process forces a software upgrade, so I assume some upgrade overnight must have failed.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Unplug power lead from digibox
While holding down the back up button on top of the box, connect power lead.
When message comes on screen about leave box alone for up to 10 minutes, release back-up button.
Cross fingers and cross toes.

Bingo.... not long after it was working perfectly. This process forces a software upgrade, so I assume some upgrade overnight must have failed.

The manual software upgrade will only work if the box is getting a signal from 11778 - as that is the only frequency that carries the software for manual download.
If you cannot receive 11778 then there will be no manual software upgrade.

It does do some sort of hard reset of the box...but it cannot do a software upgrade if there is no signal in the first place.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back