Benifits street (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Will be the usual pre rehearsed play it for the cameras twaddle. Will be all tut tutting on here tomorrow. BUSBY:roflmto::roflmto:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
not watching it as it will probably make my blood boil :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
not watching it as it will probably make my blood boil :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

THATS THE IDEA. Will be a load of codgewallop about as believable as TOP GEAR but not as funny. Cant wait to read threads on here. BUSBY:winky::winky:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just wonder how much is true and how much story

Some of it I've seen myself

But I don't think those I have seen

would be daft enough to be on telly

So I think a lot is telly bravado

Till they get a knock :Blush:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
daily mail tv

why do people waste time and energy watching or reading such absolute rubbish. propaganda for an evil government not doing their job right

make jobs and grow the economy dont steal off the poor and try to justify it using bullshit about welfare being wrong. we all paid into the system on the promise that if theres no work or we cant work, then the state will provide limited support.

ive seen benefits letters saying "the law says you need x amount to live on". how can they justify cutting this amount needed by law. yes there may be a few people that could work but wont but the vast majority by a huge percentage are desperate to get a job to support their family.

yes there are streets where nobody has work thats the governments fault

this whole pesecution of the poor "we are all in this together other than the rich" makes me sick to the back teeth.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
someone was on about this at work today and mentioned that some companies are getting handouts and tax benefits to employ foreign workers so if you are one of the nationals going for a job and one of the eastern europeans is also going for the same job you wont get it they will as it is more beneficial for the company to employ them.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
someone was on about this at work today and mentioned that some companies are getting handouts and tax benefits to employ foreign workers so if you are one of the nationals going for a job and one of the eastern europeans is also going for the same job you wont get it they will as it is more beneficial for the company to employ them.

Somehow they get out of paying the MIN WAGE. BUSBY:Sad:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

Evidence, please.

:Cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Evidence, please.

:Cool:
living in Spain you wont have seen the adverts for people to work below minimum wage in local papers or other places in the uk. another favourite of unscrupulous bosses is the zero hours contract where you may have a few hours this week none the week after then a couple more with no guarantees. no workers rights and absolutely no job security

if youre keen on evidence, google it to see that the uk is currently down the toilet jobs wise. theres companies advertising jobs only in romania and bulgaria to get a cheap workforce in the uk

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
50p man was a star...
Sad to see so many dishonest losers In the same place. All expecting handouts and most unwilling to clean themselves or their houses . makes better TV than normal people leading normal lives I spose.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
living in Spain you wont have seen the adverts for people work below minimum wage in local papers or other places in the uk. another favourite of unscrupulous bosses is the zero hours contract where you may have a few hours this week none the week after then a couple more with no guarantees. no workers rights and absolutely no job security

if youre keen on evidence, google it to see that the uk is currently down the toilet jobs wise. theres companies advertising jobs only in romania and bulgaria to get a cheap workforce in the uk

Zero hours contracts are quite popular amongst some sections of the community. Its not unscrupulous to offer these contracts as they are quite legal and have been around a long time... Long before cable mentioned them in that weeks headline grabber

In fact having read all your post now... It's all a bit unproven and loud.. Please don't use Google as your reference for reality. It will find everything you want it to. From any angle.
Show us some jobs in the UK advertised at below min wage
Show us some evidence that were worse off than the rest of Europe..

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
living in Spain you wont have seen the adverts for people to work below minimum wage in local papers or other places in the uk. another favourite of unscrupulous bosses is the zero hours contract where you may have a few hours this week none the week after then a couple more with no guarantees. no workers rights and absolutely no job security

The unemployment rate in the UK is about 7.5%, in Spain its 25.98%,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
50p man was a star...
Sad to see so many dishonest losers In the same place. All expecting handouts and most unwilling to clean themselves or their houses . makes better TV than normal people leading normal lives I spose.

You did not believe the program did you ??? Do not think people would be as stupid as they were on the program if what they was saying was true. Their Benifit would stop tomorrow. BUSBY:winky::winky:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
50p man was a star...

The 50p man was just profiteering...

50p for a bog roll, average shop price is 20p..

There was no evidence of either a smoke free or temperance movement within that street.

I saw it, and yes some of it was appalling, how true is another matter, but one has to suspect the levels of intelligence in appearing on such a tv show and then being dumb enough to admit having committed benefit fraud..:Doh:

I don't suspect any of them have real any of the classics, unless it contained the F word, liberally used, well often in each sentence.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Zero hours contracts are quite popular amongst some sections of the community. Its not unscrupulous to offer these contracts as they are quite legal and have been around a long time... Long before cable mentioned them in that weeks headline grabber

In fact having read all your post now... It's all a bit unproven and loud.. Please don't use Google as your reference for reality. It will find everything you want it to. From any angle.
Show us some jobs in the UK advertised at below min wage
Show us some evidence that were worse off than the rest of Europe..

I DO NOT THINK THEY WOULD BE ADVERTISED IN BLACK AND WHITE..come on. BUSBY:winky::winky:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The 50p man was just profiteering...

50p for a bog roll, average shop price is 20p..

There was no evidence of either a smoke free or temperance movement within that street.

I saw it, and yes some of it was appalling, how true is another matter, but one has to suspect the levels of intelligence in appearing on such a tv show and then being dumb enough to admit having committed benefit fraud..:Doh:

I don't suspect any of them have real any of the classics, unless it contained the F word, liberally used, well often in each sentence.

I would not like to trust a 20 p toilet roll. My bum is far to delicate.BUSBY:roflmto:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
They claim they took part after being assured the series would be about neighbourly togetherness and community spirit
The ‘stars’ of Channel 4's Benefits Street claim they were tricked into appearing in the documentary by the film-makers.
They claim they took part after being assured the series would be about neighbourly togetherness and community spirit in James Turner Street, Winson Green, Birmingham.
But they say the show paints a rather different picture, making residents out to be anti-social benefit scroungers, irresponsible parents, drug-takers and foul-mouthed wasters.
And several of the show’s subjects, who have seen previews of the first three episodes as well as attention-grabbing TV adverts, claim they were lied to and betrayed by the programme makers Love Productions.
They have also accused the independent TV firm of recording and broadcasting private phone calls without permission and are now considering legal action.
James Turner Street resident Dee Roberts, a qualified mentor and support worker, appears heavily in the series.
She told the Birmingham Mail: “They said they wanted to film for a TV show about how great community spirit is in the street and how we all help each other out on a daily basis.
‘‘They said that ‘Britain was broken’ but that I lived in an area where the community was very close. I participated in the show on that belief.
“But this programme has nothing to do with community, which you can tell from the title. It’s all about people in the street living off benefits, taking drugs and dossing around all day. It makes people out as complete scum.
“They lied to us from the very beginning. We opened our doors and hearts to them and they violated us and abused our trust.”
In the opening sequence to the first episode Dee, 32, is seen walking along the street identifying houses where she believed the occupants were out of work and on benefits.
She said: “They have shown me pointing at houses shouting ‘unemployed, on benefits’, but they haven’t shown me pointing at the houses where I knew people were working and in jobs.
"I’m really worried about how my neighbours will react if they see it.
“They have edited everything to suit their own needs – taken a positive and turned it into a negative.”
Dee, who is unemployed and on benefits, was approached to appear on the show at a jobseeker event in Birmingham.
She said around a dozen people were involved in the making of the show, filmed over a period of 12 months starting in early 2012.
Local resident Nikitta Bell, 24, was unemployed when camera crews began following her but is now working full-time as a beautician.
“They recorded me making a phone call enquiring about a job vacancy even though I asked them not to,” she said.
“A guy answered so I asked what the job involved. He said it was to do with massages and other stuff and said what size girls he was looking for.
“We had a laugh at first, but then I got angry because I was desperate for work.
“They only showed the part with us laughing to make it look like it was all a big joke. They have betrayed me and everyone else.”
Mum-of-three Charlene Wilson, 29, a fellow James Turner Street resident, also claimed she had been duped.
She said: “They told me it was about living as a community and how we all got along. But the actual programme doesn’t show any of that.
"If they had said it was about benefits and making the street look bad I would not have taken part. They tricked us."
Mark Thomas and Becky Howe, both 23, were also angry at the way they have been portrayed in the show. The unemployed couple have two children and pick up £750 per month in benefits.
But Ms Howe said: "They’ve just tried to make us look like slums. Everyone on the street is fuming about it.
"Half of my family and friends have already disowned me because of it. Some want me to change my name on Deed Poll.
"We might be on benefits but everyone has got to start somewhere."
Mr Thomas added: “I’m on benefits at the moment but that’s because I’m training to be a security guard. They want to make us look uneducated. But they don’t know what they’re talking about because I went to college."
A Channel 4 spokesman said: “This is a fair and balanced observational documentary series.
“It is a fair reflection of the reality of life on a street where the majority of households receive benefits.
“The contributors were briefed extensively before any filming took place. If any residents requested not to be filmed they were not.
“The main contributors have been offered the opportunity to view the programmes they feature in before transmission to make any comments about their contributions.
“As far as we are aware we have appropriate consent for any private phone calls that appear in the series.”
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-channel-4-documentary-2994242

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think it shows a certain section of that street not all will be like that but then normal does not make a program entertaining or shocking.
Walk around most town centres in the week during the day and open your eyes if you think people are not like that you can see them drinking smoking and talking about when they get "Paid" for some its a lifestyle choice

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The street...

Police recover drugs and bullets after raids at four houses in one Birmingham street
June 14, 2013, 7:18 pm
Ammunition and a large amount of drugs have been seized by police and arrests made following simultaneous raids at four address in one Birmingham street.
Officers from the Gangs Task Force, together with colleagues from the Operational Support Unit and the local neighbourhood team, executed the drugs warrants this afternoon ( Friday 14th June 2013) [HI]in James Turner Street, Winson Green.[/HI]
The planned raids followed intelligence from the local community.
Searches at the addresses are still ongoing but officers have described seizures as substantial. They suspect they are Class A (cocaine) and Class B (cannabis). A large amount of cash was also seized.
Officers also recovered a number of bullets from one address.
Two people have been arrested.
At one address in the street a 31-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of supplying Class A and B and for possession of ammunition. A large quantity of cash was also seized at the premises.
At another premises a 45-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of supply of Class B drugs and possession of ammunition.
In addition at another address a 29-year-old woman was detained in connection with supplying Class A and Class B drugs.
In total 50 police officers were involved at one stage or another, as well as support from the Dog Section and oversight from the regional police helicopter.
Link Removed

Rehbor Mohammed Hassan, aged 30, of [HI]James Turner Street, [/HI]Birmingham. Found guilty of assault, community order made with 200 hours unpaid work. Ordered to pay £200 compensation, and £370 court costs and charges.

Matthew Stennett, 19, of [HI]James Turner Street, Winson Green,[/HI] stole DVDs worth pounds 125 from HMV, stole Playstations from Woolworths, two counts of possession of a foil lined bag designed for theft and failed to surrender to custody while on bail, 12 months community order and pounds 170 costs'

Nov 21 2007
By Ross McCarthy, Birmingham Mail
A CITY council worker who stole more than £13,000 from her employer including cash belonging to "vulnerable" people has escaped an immediate prison sentence.
Recorder Angus Edis told mother-of-two Deirdre Kelly: "This was a mean-spirited and calculated deception on an employer with whom you had served long enough to build up a relationship of trust and betrayed that trust."
Some of the people who lost their money were the "most vulnerable" and what she did struck at the very fabric of the relationship between the local authority and the public, he added.
But in giving her an eight-month jail sentence suspended for 18 months and ordering her to do 220 hours' unpaid work, he took into account her previous good character and the fact that her children may have to be taken into care if she was sent to prison.
Kelly, aged 36, of [HI]James Turner Street, Winson Green,[/HI] had previously pleaded guilty to one charge of theft.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
oooer....looks like some of these people may be about to join a long list of people who have appread on TV then dropped themselves in it.....

Benefits Street: Police To Probe 'Criminality'
Police are considering launching an investigation following claims a documentary about benefits claimants showed elements of criminal activity.

From one of the punters "I participated in the show on that belief, (showing community spirit) but this programme has nothing to do with community, which you can tell from the title. It makes people out as complete scum.":Eeek:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefits-street-police-probe-39-criminality-39-135207962.html#VT8qm6E

Last edited:

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Just wonder how much is true and how much story

Some of it I've seen myself

But I don't think those I have seen

would be daft enough to be on telly

So I think a lot is telly bravado

Till they get a knock :Blush:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Talking of tellies, they do seem to have very large flat screen tv's on display !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back