lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Great news today I received a call to say I have a space in London marathon, so need some help on where to stay. I'm a member of the CC so I can use their sites they have but no idea how well these are placed for London and if I can get a tube or train in for the start of the race about 7am ish.

I don't mind what facilities the site has just need access to the start of the race, also a nice pub for post race celebrations just incase I win.

Thanks in advance Gerry

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Crystal palace site probably however if you contact the organisers they sometimes have locations specifically for motorhomers/campers taking part in the race.

if you are not LEZ compliant, use Lea Valley or Debden and bus/train in from their.

CONGRATULATIONS on being selected xxxxx WTG

if you get really stuck and cant find anywhere, fly or drive down to us and we will sort you out

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Stay at the Caravan Club site at Abbey Wood. Direct trains from abbey wood to Greenwich or Maze Hill. The Marathon start is only about 5 miles from the site so a taxi wouldn't be too expensive in the morning. Train back from Charing Cross to Abbey Wood after the race.

I'm sure there will be others staying there for the marathon so maybe a lift to the start.

But only if you are LEZ compliant. I'm only a few miles from the site myself.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would try Abbey Wood as well.:thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at Abbey Wood. Now for the stupid question how do I know if I'm LEZ compliant. I have a 2010 on a fiat 2.3 diesel.

We will probably spend a week there to do a bit of sight seeing and give my legs time to recover.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
LEZ compliant?

Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at Abbey Wood. Now for the stupid question how do I know if I'm LEZ compliant. I have a 2010 on a fiat 2.3 diesel.

We will probably spend a week there to do a bit of sight seeing and give my legs time to recover.

As a rough guess I would expect a 2010 Fiat diesel to be LEZ-compliant, but as ever, you'd be well advised not to pay too much heed to my ramblings and check out the LEZ website, which has a section that enables you to check quite specifically if you are compliant or not. From memory you put your reg. number in and it gives you an answer!

Simon
:thumb:

Edit: try this..... Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sod's law just checked availability at Abbey Woods and its full for that weekend, will give them a phone in the morning see if I can get a space somewhere I'm sure someone will cancel before then. Crystal palace also full.

At other recommendations can't seem to find anything close.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Typical Scotsman.... Its the London Marathon FGS!!!

Book a nice Hotel, travel down by train.... treat Lorraine to a tour of London, a show etc and then run the race before getting the train back...

leave the camper at home,, it's London.... (its crap down there anyway)

all i want to know is how did you get this place? is it a charity place? haver you murdered someone?

Ive been trying for 6 years and still aint got a place :Sad:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hi Good luck with the race,

my Daughter has run it 6 times now, every year her time was better than the one before, unfortunately she was injured last year and had to pull out.

I can find out where they stayed, if it is of any use.

Margaret

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul

I actually got balloted out then the club offered a space to all member who got balloted out which I didn't get, the person who did get though has pulled out so the club have passed it on to me. I will take some pics for you so you can see what its like :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The reason we are taking the MH is because we will be having a few days holiday before getting to London and a week after the marathon, well that's my excuse have you seen the price of those cheap hotels I'd be scared to look at the 2star ones :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Gerry. Congrats on getting the place.

When I did it a couple of years ago we stayed in a hotel with the intention of getting the tube in. Luckily we walked around the corner to check where the tube station was only to find it closed for emergency repair work!! A quick check of the internet showed a mainline station near by so we went over ground.

I was realy impressed with the LM organisation, there were marshals on the platforms directing runners ( whole train full of runners, great atmosphere ). The train companies put extra carrages on to cope with the all the runners converging on the start areas.

In a long winded way I am trying to say - don't discount the over ground trains to help in your search of campsites. Do you know which start gate you will be in yet?

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sandra
Thanks for the tips, I have only just found out today I have a place so waiting for an email from LM for my registration, so no idea what pen ill be in I think I'm down for the elite runners :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have just looked at the LM site and notice the race doesn't start for the normal p,orders until after 9.30/10.00 so should have plenty of time to get in might even jog in and back for a warm up and cool down :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well you will be well and truly cooled down again in the first couple of miles, while you shuffle along trying not to tread on the heels of the people in front. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
if you are looking at ilford you might as well try lee valley sewardstone road site

or come down by plane or train and stay with us for the weekend

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
if you are looking at ilford you might as well try lee valley sewardstone road site

or come down by plane or train and stay with us for the weekend

Hi Gail thanks for the kind offer but we are going to making a holiday of it so will need the MH for the days before and after the race as we will have 2 weeks off.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The link for the ilford camp site isnt coming up it just gives a login and registration. If you want to send me the details - address etc we could check it out for you. I have my doubts it would be anywhere near ilford train station though.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks again Gail its a 20 min walk from the station according to the reviews, thankfully though I don't need it now as I phoned Crystal Palace site this morning and even though they are full if you try to book online I have managed to get a pitch, must be my Scottish charm works all the time :ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi, If that doesn`t work out there is a C&C Club site just outside the M25, you can walk to the train station from the site to get into the city.

Theobalds Park Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Theobalds Park, Bulls Cross Ride, Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire’ EN7 5HS.
Tel 01992 620604.

Our son is running in the Marathon again this year so we know the difficulties of arranging accomodation and the the planning required etc etc.

Good luck.:thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
That's good news lorger. Abbey wood site would have been easier for you, however it's fairly easy to get from Crystal Palace train Station to either Maze Hill or Greenwich overground station. Just need a few changes, consult the national rail website or tfl (transport for London) website before you travel.

Use either travel cards or Oyster cards for your travel needs or you will be paying a huge markup in fares. I'm sure the site will have full details. It should also be fairly easy to get back from Central London after the race as well.

living in Greater London I have never stayed at the site, but I'm sure there are many Funsters who have.

Congratulations on your place in the Marathon.

Sonja

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Glad you have found somewhere.

The Crystal Palace site is very clean and you can even play outdoor chess (unless they have changed it). There is a bus stop just outside and the wardens are very helpful.

We stayed their when Robert was in the London Youth Games. Some lovely views and look out for the wild parrots.

Any problems whilst you are in London PM us and we will try to help.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The CC

Crystal Palace site is good and plenty of trains buses to the centre lots of good places locally to eat.and the park is great.

barry

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Took MH to Crystal Palace earlier this year good site but watch out for the entrance as its on a roundabout and not clearly sign posted. Bus stop 5 main walk train station 10mins through the park, if only there a couple of days I would say not worth getting an oyster card, plenty of restaurants and pubs within 5min walk
Good luck with the race

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I stayed at Denham a few years ago , I think that it's outside the LEZ.
It's at the top of a hill past the old airfield in a quiet remote area.
Long walk along small dark country road and down a hill in residential area.
Pubs and restaurants along street before getting to mainline station to London Bridge.
I thought it to be too much hassle getting in to London, but may suit others.
It was some time ago so may have changed.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back