LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Currently looking around the net looking for ideas about where we wld love to go in Sept. Brittany and the coast down to Santander looks amazing. We'd love to do Languedoc sometime and also austria etc. However, the big issue is ...............

I hate heights :cry: Around 8 years ago I was driving around Cynghordy, mid Wales and ended up on a teeny road with a mega drop. I had no choice other than to drive it but was so scared !!! Then 3 years ago I was unfortunate, (admittedly beautiful views), enough to travel across to Toulon using the corniche-cretes-coastal-road, it was in a bus and I was terrified beyond belief. When we had to actually have the front of a bus over the edge of the road to pass a campervan I was ready to kill the driver. This is now going to be a major factor in exploring europe in our van as my fear is sure to ruin a peaceful atmosphere, let alone being arrested for lying in the road clinging to the surface and using expletives.

I'm hoping lots of funsters know great roads with minor drops which may get us to Languedoc and the northen end of spain and italy. I don' t hold out a lot of hope given that the alps are around somewhere, but any tips would be great pls :Smile:

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Stick to Holland :ROFLMAO:

Lol, I know, however, I lived in Belgium for 4 years and have done tons of Belg, Holland and Germany. Need a change. Hubby has suggested stuffing me in the back with a blindfold on.......... :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Lol, I know, however, I lived in Belgium for 4 years and have done tons of Belg, Holland and Germany. Need a change. Hubby has suggested stuffing me in the back with a blindfold on.......... :whatthe:

Actually, that sounds ever so slightly dodgy :ROFLMAO:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've driven in Asturias and it is not devoid of drops. There are some quite high elevated sections of motorway in the area and from what I can remember cliffs. It was a few years ago so can't remember the detail.

But down to the border through France will be fine. I cycled it this year and it is pretty flat but avoid the St Nazaire bridge across the mouth of the Loire at all costs!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
and the bridges over the Seine at Le havre :Sad:

had no option but to drive over this in our last van with a Luton overcab bed on a high chassis in a severe cross wind. :Eeek:

change of underpants :Blush:

hence we now have a low profile :thumb:

Attachments

• lehavre.jpg
    lehavre.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Did he mention things like Handcuffs etc :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Skip to 0:40, this is your song....:winky:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1NnRNTTgrQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1NnRNTTgrQ[/ame]

:RollEyes::RollEyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my better half is also terrified of mountain roads and big bridges. we find that planning ahead and giving her a job to do like read up on the next campsite/town or find a cd etc helps take her mind off the worry, whilst i drive on through

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Easy! Come down the middle route via Limoges, beautiful scenery, free autoroute (A20) for much of the way, a pleasant stopover at Parc Verger (of course) and then a choice of routes down to the Spanish border. Other you meet here will help advise on routes to avoid problems for you. Whichever route you take, enjoy it!

Bob
www.parcverger.com

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years

had no option but to drive over this in our last van

We also went over this bridge, I had to drive over (Val) Bob was on the floor in the back, as you go over the bridge you then go over a high road which is just as high.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

No way José!
I don't mind heights, but thats just stupid...

We went over the bridges at le Havre last month, they are brilliant, but my Mother in Law would be no good, she drives over the Dartford crossing in the middle lane at 30mph with white knuckles because she is holding the steering wheel so tight...

Allan

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
done this route in a RV some very scary moments.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idXrlV3aWgo"]Million Dollar Highway - Ouray to Silverton, Colorado - YouTube[/ame]

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Gorge du Verdon in the south of France is an interesting route. I did it on a bike in 2011. Without thinking too hard we chose the left bank which meant we were on the right hand side of the road with the drop immediately next to us. Not too bad when there was a wall but in places the wall was very low or it was just stone blocks a few feet apart. In a vehicle you get less sense of vertigo, like being in an aircraft, but on a bike...well it sorted out any constipation issues especially when we had to pull to the right to let vehicles past.

BROKEN LINK

And some dark tunnels too, though fortunately not too long. I have heard of people doing this route in a MH but only panel vans though no doubt it could be done in something bigger but only if you reversing skills are up to it! The tunnels are single track.

This is me wobbling into a tunnel...

BROKEN LINK

There is an account of our trip on my Blog called Nice to Avignon 2011. There are also a few other trips described but I am currently adding pictures of our trip up the west coast of France this year so don't look at that one yet as it isn't finished.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Callum, loved the scottish folk tune, Brian ?! WTF :swear::thumbdown: !!! Why ? Why wld anyone eva eva want to do that ! My tummy was turning over, as for that guy who just casually said 'hi' when being overtaken !!!!!!!!!! Bonkers. Beginning to think a few drops are not so bad after that !

Thanx for the replies guys, entertaining, fear-inducing and a few alternatives :thanks2:

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years

had no option but to drive over this in our last van with a Luton overcab bed on a high chassis in a severe cross wind. :Eeek:

change of underpants :Blush:

hence we now have a low profile :thumb:

Quick check Phil, ummm is that bridge raised for boats or is that THE bridge ?! :whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back