Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We left home 6 weeks ago with a Calor light bottle showing around half full, or half empty as some believe it should be. We also have a Gaslow refillable that was filled before we left.

My reasoning was that the Calor bottle would get us to Portugal (where I know I can get it refilled) and we can use the Gaslow when the Calor runs out.

OK so far, but I have been amazed how long the Calor bottle has been showing empty (the Calor light has a gauge) but still continues to burn gas.

Now my point is have Calor set these gauges to show empty when there is still a substantial amount of gas left in the bottle? If so is this a ploy to make people think they are about to run out of gas and exchange the bottle thus giving Calor the gas left in the bottle?
Which in my case appears to be a bit more than a drop.

So when you return the bottle for exchange you could be giving away some of your very expensive gas.

A con trick?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As soon as you buy your first replacement for a Calor Light,:Eeek: you know they are rip-off merchants

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
When our Calor Cyl is low generally if you shake it about a bit
you can get another couple of days generally.

this is I think because its a liquid fill and dispenses as a gas::bigsmile:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Nothing about Calor would surprise me but I should think it more likely is that the gauge doesn't read properly. Isn't that the case with most gas gauges?

Exactly my point Graham, but have Calor arranged it that way to increase their profits, or seen that by fitting a gauge they can con you?

As soon as you buy your first replacement for a Calor Light,:Eeek: you know they are rip-off merchants

That's why I don't exchange Calor bottles Jim. I just think they are being very crafty, as we all know they are.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp

No shaking being done as we are parked at Zahora for a few weeks.::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The gauge is only meant as a rough guide to the contents.

There is no need to replace the cylinder until the gas actually runs out and Calor then get no free gas.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you add up all the liquid gas returned in cylinders it must add up to quite a bit over a year. of course calor and other cylinder rentals are keen for you to exchange before empty....extra cash in the bank for them. its all about maximising profits

LPG or liquefied petroleum gas is delivered in a liquid state. in the open air this turns immediately to gas and expands to many times the volume of the liquid form. if you can feel any liquid in a cylinder slopping about when shaken, then you still have a considerable amount of gas.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A magnetic gas level gauge might be better. I've no experience of them but at this price you can't go far wrong. I guess they work by temperature, sensing the cold of the liquid gas as it evaporates in the bottle: Link Removed

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A magnetic gas level gauge might be better. I've no experience of them but at this price you can't go far wrong. I guess they work by temperature, sensing the cold of the liquid gas as it evaporates in the bottle: Link Removed

I bought one of these when we first started motorhoming ..... seemed like a good idea, but I found it useless.

They only work while you are actually drawing of gas from the cylinder and then it has to be placed at just the level of gas. You may as well just look for the line of condensation which is very accurate.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought one of these when we first started motorhoming ..... seemed like a good idea, but I found it useless.

[HI]They only work while you are actually drawing of gas from the cylinder[/HI] and then it has to be placed at just the level of gas. You may as well just look for the line of condensation which is very accurate.

You mean there are actually times when they do work??? :Eeek: My experience having bought one is that they don't work at all ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Exactly my point Graham, but have Calor arranged it that way to increase their profits, or seen that by fitting a gauge they can con you?
(snip)

Certainly a marketing ploy, Keith. Given the mark-up on gas sold in a Lite bottle (which Calor deny is a mark-up) it certainly seems to me that increasing profits is not last on the list ::bigsmile: One reason we had Alugas fitted ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Calor = Very nearly a monopoly = Vastly over priced.

Which is why I love filling my Calor Lite bottle myself in the knowledge they aren't getting any of my pennies.

I have a very, very accurate gauge... aka my gas cooker. When it lights I have gas. When it goes out I haven't.

Anyone attending the Praia Da Rocha/Algarve Informal Gathering who needs their empty Calor bottles filling and don't fancy doing it themselves... maybe I can help.

Will have to borrow an adapter thingy but that isn't a problem for Rufty Tufty Offsite Full timers.

JJ :Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
gauges, no gauges....what the difference.

If you change a bottle before the gas stops flowing you lose what was left regardless of what any gauges say.
We all manage very well before gauges so why rely on them now....nowt but a marketing ploy.

And the Moral....change when it runs out, not when it says its run out.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Even our Gaslow bottles show red, when we go to cook up they only take around 7 litres.
The bottle holds 12 litres.
Wee will have to run out in future to make sure it's empty.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The whole point of two bottle systems is so you run one out before swapping.

I meant to say Calor is a rip off not the gauge

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The gauge on my 48 litre underslung goes red when I still have 12 litres :roflmto:
However I can fill it with the equivalent of 4x6kg calor lites for coppers over £33 at ASDA :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
when my blue light flashes gas out on my alde control panel there is no usable gas left in the bottle i find it very accurate.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know what you lot are moaning about...count yourselves lucky...

...you could be using Campingaz :Smile: :cry:

(Mind you, at least with a Campingaz bottle knowing how much is left is pretty simple - just stick it on a bathroom scale)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
LPG

It is worth remembering that when the liquid gas is allowed to "gas off" it expands 1,700 times in volume. That's why when you shake the bottle and there is only a little liquid left it still lasts a long time.

Use it all, Calor doesn't really need your money !
:thumb:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I exchange mine at Go Outdoors and it's cheaper there than at the Calor Depot at Lee Mill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back