Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
::bigsmile:Good News, I had an email from Sally today and they have agreed to set us up a marquee at some of their shows providing we turn in the numbers (which I hope to revise down a little for this year)

This will make our gatherings at their shows even better, and it will be great to have a meeting place from when the show starts to the finish on Monday Mornings... while at the same time keeping rain out of the curry and the Ukulele and Guitar strings warm::bigsmile:

a BIG Thank you to Sally and Warners, this gesture is very much appreciated
:thumb:

Good Morning Jim

Happy New Year to you and your family.

I have looked into the cost of a marquee for your camping areas at our shows and it would be roughly £1,300 plus vat. What do you intend to do in the marquee, I am thinking licenses and licensed areas on venues if you are having a bar and live music. If it is a get together and bring your own booze not a problem with licenses?

I have looked at historic numbers you deliver to our shows and I do know you work hard to deliver Motorhome Fun Members and work equally as hard to ensure they have a good time.

I would be willing to get you a marquee erected in your areas at our shows for you to use for your own club purposes. What I would look for in return are a guaranteed amount of ralliers and I would need to look at where we positioned your club. Malvern for example is a very tight show on space and I propose we put you in the field over the road. This would more than likely be exclusive to your club so you could make as much noise as you wished, however, dependent on what you have planned I would need to look at licensing the area/s.

Numbers I would look for you to drive would be:
Peterborough 120
Newbury 100
Malvern 180
Lincoln 120

I need to guarantee these numbers to cover the cost of the marquee. I can cancel the marquee a month prior to the show if it is not needed because numbers are not achieved so I would set a deadline of a month prior to catch up with you on numbers and whether we are erecting a marquee or you are to bring your own. ..... snip...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jim

That looks great BUT are the numbers achievable 180 van at Malvern, what numbers have FUN had in the past.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I agree with your thanks to Sally, but I venture it was well earned.

......well done James me boy.
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> I have looked at historic numbers you deliver to our shows

Hmmmmmmmm, Cattle R Us !!

Get on to this person and tell her that FUNsters are not delivered, they are enticed.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just curious here. Who pays the £1,300 ?

Them or Jim ?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
nice :thumb:

loved this bit...."so you could make as much noise as you wished" what are they implying!!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had 155 at Malvern last year so the figures are not too bad and I do hope to bring them down a bit.

I doubt we'll be getting 100 at Newbury for a few years yet. Last year was a record at 45 I think:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok Ill put my hard hat on.

Don't do it Jim... Don't do it.

Here's the reasoning----

The Numbers are unrealistic, they would need to be significantly revised down, i know you can work that out but doubt they will buy numbers of 50-60 for Newbury.

Parking- By reading the imformation on the email, where are they likely to park people? what about our mobility drivers? poor mobility people?

Growth is good, forward thinking is good, but there is such a thing as too big, have a think about why you started this madhouse in the first place? As much as I enjoyed Malvern, I found the experience a "little inpersonal" would this not lose the ethos?

I think Malvern was and is a one off, great weather, JJ coming (yes seriously) central location etc.. I see big numbers for Malvern next year but the rest?

Most of all. I think if warners do this, They own a peice of you....

I am sure that many are really excited by the prospect, but TBH I'm not... I actually like things pretty much as they are and have been...... If the problem surrounds erecting marques storm shelters, gathering points etc, switch back to how it should be, everybody mucking in and giving a bit of help to get these things sorted.

Im sure others will have there own ideas, but I'm just throwing the devil out there. :Smile:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We had 155 at Malvern last year so the figures are not too bad and I do hope to bring them down a bit.

I doubt we'll be getting 100 at Newbury for a few years yet. Last year was a record at 45 I think:Smile:

Are we clear on what numbers that they are talking about - vans or people? The way I read their e-mail to you Jim, I would say the number of people but I suggest that it be absolutely clear. If that is the case, using Malvern as the example, 85 to 90 vans should do it?

How big will the marquee be? Will it do what we need? Will we be liable in any way for damage etc? Are there any restrictions as to use (insurance purposes etc).

I agree with Haggers, let's look at the full implications before the celebrations begin.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nothing really changes, if we reach the numbers (whatever they turn out to be) then we get a nice marquee, if we don't, we don't.

If the weather is terrible this year at Malvern then a decent marquee will make a massive difference. I can see us only ever really getting the marquee at the two big ones, Peterborough and Malvern all the others will remain the same.

At the smaller shows like Newbury and the Northern I doubt we will get the numbers, but then with low numbers we won't need it. Low numbers are good, I MUCH prefer smaller rallies, and this year we will definitely see some caps on numbers of some rallies, just to make life easier on the marshals. But for those two big popular shows I think a help with the canvas will be excellent

Funsters always help but that' s not the problem, the problem is getting enough canvas to cover so many funsters at those two very large shows.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Are we clear on what numbers that they are talking about - vans or people? The way I read their e-mail to you Jim, I would say the number of people but I suggest that it be absolutely clear. If that is the case, using Malvern as the example, 85 to 90 vans should do it?

How big will the marquee be? Will it do what we need? Will we be liable in any way for damage etc? Are there any restrictions as to use (insurance purposes etc).

I agree with Haggers, let's look at the full implications before the celebrations begin.

The numbers are vans. Last year at Malvern we cooked breakfast for 355 people. ::bigsmile: Not exactly sure on size, but it will be around 12m by 9m I think. This is not something being hoisted upon us, it is something I've asked for, to essentially make my life easier, and the Funsters experience better at the very big shows. Re, damage and insurance, that is not anything for ralliers to worry about, I have that covered.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I thought you had 2 heavy duty 6 x 4's so it just saves you carting them around. Still a good deal and nowt lost, well done Warners.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I thought you had 2 heavy duty 6 x 4's so it just saves you carting them around. Still a good deal and nowt lost, well done Warners.
I've got two white 6 by 4s but I then need to take my Lanny to shows as well

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Parking- what about our mobility drivers? People with disabilities can always park in the disabled area, and this has always been an option. I have found warners helpful with charging points. There is nothing stopping us asking for the facility with the generator they provide for the toilet/showers to have the ability for charging a few scooters at the same time. The generator at malvern had at least 2 unused sockets that could have been used for that purpose last year. All we have to do is ask.

Growth is good, forward thinking is good, but there is such a thing as too big, have a think about why you started this madhouse in the first place? As much as I enjoyed Malvern, I found the experience a "little inpersonal" would this not lose the ethos?

The rallies have become much bigger and there are times when we dont even get to say hello to all the funsters however this is just natural progression of the success and it is up to every funster to continue to mingle and enjoy themselves.

A larger marquee will mean more people feel part of the fun community at the evening events and dont just walk on past because "theres no room at the inn"

..................... I MUCH prefer smaller rallies, and this year we will definitely see some caps on numbers of some rallies, just to make life easier on the marshals. But for those two big popular shows I think a help with the canvas will be excellent

My personal view is that rallies should only have a cap on numbers due to the venue size. There are many rallies through the year that already have caps on numbers due to the venues only being able to cater for a certain number of motorhomes and although this can lead to disappointment for those who do not manage to get a space at a meet they wish to attend, members understand this.

If the way marshalling is done is altered so that the workload is shared over a far larger group of people this means that the marshals actually get time to themselves as well as helping other funsters. Perhaps a rota basis where people donate a few hours of their time would result in the workload shared out, reduce the pressure and see more people volunteering at larger rallies. I am sure the thought of volunteering for large numbers is extremely daunting and this would ease that too.

We had fabulous Marshals at Malvern again last year but I honestly felt that for the number of people and the work involved there were not enough. Marshals should not be "stuck by the gate" for their whole weekend" (no offence meant by the way) they also should have some time for themselves.

I honestly believe there are enough funsters willing to share the workload voluntarily without the need for a free pitch in return for services rendered or the need to be formally recognised as marshals.

Funsters always help but that' s not the problem, the problem is getting enough canvas to cover so many funsters at those two very large shows.

The numbers are vans. Last year at Malvern we cooked breakfast for 355 people. Not exactly sure on size, but it will be around 12m by 9m I think. This is not something being hoisted upon us, it is something I've asked for, to essentially make my life easier, and the Funsters experience better at the very big shows. Re, damage and insurance, that is not anything for ralliers to worry about, I have that covered.

I think the marquee is a great idea especially if the weather is bad - and some motorhome shows have seen disastrous weather and the marquee could mean the difference between some people having fun who would have otherwise decided not to attend or sat in their motorhome during the bad weather.

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
hola

:thumb: jim would it be worth asking RVOC if they would be interested :thumb:

Thanks

Dave & polly

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Parking- what about our mobility drivers? People with disabilities can always park in the disabled area, and this has always been an option. I have found warners helpful with charging points. There is nothing stopping us asking for the facility with the generator they provide for the toilet/showers to have the ability for charging a few scooters at the same time. The generator at malvern had at least 2 unused sockets that could have been used for that purpose last year. All we have to do is ask.

im not talking about those just in scooters, im talking about our people that are not so efficient on their feet and walk with sticks.

The rallies have become much bigger and there are times when we dont even get to say hello to all the funsters however this is just natural progression of the success and it is up to every funster to continue to mingle and enjoy themselves.

A larger marquee will mean more people feel part of the fun community at the evening events and dont just walk on past because "theres no room at the inn"

My whole point, ask yourself why MHFun is so successful? it's because the family feel to it, A larger marque may actually have the opposite effect, more people might just make people feel less like a family.

And TBH, I am much more likely to walk past a busy marquee than I am to actually go in. I don't particulaly like crowds and crowded places :Smile:

Things change, Jim will do what ever Jim want's to do, that's his perogative. Jim will still be Jim and one of the people I will have a beer with and call my friend. But I personally would not be celebrating the fact we have a marquee. I much prefer trying to hold on to the ones that blowing away in the wind or leaking in the middle...
:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sally's email says 180 RALLIERS not 180 vans

180 vans would be the equivilent of 400 funsters....2 adults each plus a gaggle of assorted kids.

No John vans not raliiers .. clarified earlier

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Apologies Haganap

I took your initial response to refer mobility scooters as it was under parking etc.

There has always been a problem at shows no matter where we have been parked for those who cannot walk far, arent efficient on their feet but prefer to walk rather than scooter - the main reason I initially got a mobility scooter was that I couldnt manage the shows

The only options I can see available in such instances is hiring or borrowing a scooter or using the disabled area and/or the disabled transport that is laid on at some shows.

re marquees

you quite rightly said And TBH, I am much more likely to walk past a busy marquee than I am to actually go in. I don't particulaly like crowds and crowded places :Smile: This is exactly what I was trying to say - at Malvern there were just so many of us and the marquee so busy that it was far too small. The reason it didn't cause a problem for many was because we enjoyed better weather last year

There are always pros and cons to everything. Time will tell :thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Other orgainsers have given us shelter or somewhere for beer in the evenings. Such as event developments giving us the big shed at Newark, the Pavillion at Cotton Arms etc. Not much difference with this arrangement really.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No John vans not raliiers .. clarified earlier

maybe it was Paul, but I cant see where.

The email states...... What I would look for in return are a guaranteed amount of ralliers

A rallier to me is an individual...not a van full of individuals

Means nothing to me anyway as I now have the same respect fot Warners as they have for me....none !...and wont be going anyway.

I know the logistics of arranging camping areas for the various groups is a major issue for them but for a group the size of motorhomefun they could do far better....One year next to the dungheap at Malvern, as far away from the arena as its possible to get...the next year stuck on a hillside with no chance of getting level...even with my front wheels in mid air.
Not my idea of fun at all

Stone leisure etc are far more accommodating, with a far more relaxed attitude to campers and I will still be attending their shows in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
maybe it was Paul, but I cant see where.

The email states...... What I would look for in return are a guaranteed amount of ralliers

A rallier to me is an individual...not a van full of individuals

Means nothing to me anyway as I now have the same respect fot Warners as they have for me....none !...and wont be going anyway.

I know the logistics of arranging camping areas for the various groups is a major issue for them but for a group the size of motorhomefun they could do far better....One year next to the dungheap, as far away from the arena as its possible to get...the next year stuck on a hillside.
Not my idea of fun at all

Stone leisure etc are far more accommodating, with a far more relaxed attitude to campers and I will still be attending their shows in the future.

Paul meant it was clarified in this post John. TBH Since that dung heap a couple of years ago we've had some of the best Areas areas from Warners and little cause to complain. Newbury and Northern were as good as in the show, Lincoln Peterborough and Malvern right by the main gate. :thumb: (next to security :Blush: )::bigsmile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
not sure if you have read elsewhere Jim but on the booking form for Malvern Motorhomefun is missing as a club xxxxx

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
all I'm saying, is that if Jim was really as good as you lot think.

Warners would offer the entertainment tent to the funsters along with the entertainers, and then the smaller marque to everyone else, :winky:

He's just not haggling hard enough....:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To those who are against the idea of Warners' marquee, then think of it in another way, it will mean that those running the rally will be able to have more time to themselves, not have to arrive quite so early to get everything prepared, and also not have to dismantle everything at the end of the show either.

Having organised and run lots of microcar rallies (advertising the event, booking the actual campsites, feeding the attendees, organising trips out, activities, prizes etc) I know only too well how difficult it can be to get 'reliable' volunteers and the problems it can cause when someone doesn't do as they promised they would, for whatever reason. I know some funsters would be more than willing to help out but unfortunately this doesn't guarantee things will be easier for those involved, so anything that can reduce the workload, such as having a marquee already set-up at the show, can only be a good thing surely.

I appreciate that some may not be happy with a large marquee however surely that is preferably than to only have a small one where some funsters cannot join in simply because they can't fit! As Motorhome Fun grows in popularity it is inevitable that the 'smaller gatherings' will change into larger ones at the major show. Some obviously prefer the smaller, more intimate, groups but that can also put others off as they may feel they are not part of the 'in crowd' and be reluctant to enter the 'den', whereas with a larger marquee this may not be quite so off-putting to them. At least with a larger marquee there would be room for some to gather in their own little groups if they wish, or join in with everyone else, but with a smaller one you have no choice really but to muck in with everyone else or stay in your own accommodation.

For my part, all I can say really is well done Jim, it will be one thing less for you and the marshals to worry about, and have to set up. :thumb:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can agree with both sides, but being on a committee of a boating club for 10 years, and having to transport our very large marquee to events, then to unpack it, beg people to help erect it, worry about whether they had fitted the poles correctly, watching for leaks, putting up with those people that couldn't get in/were too hot being sat next to the space heater/too cold being sat by the door, then having to beg them to stay on Sunday to help dismantle it (that was a non starter - people usually scuttled off early so we were left to dismantle it, get it back to base and then pack it into a container, not to mention the price of public liability insurance...... I can see the advantages of the offer from Warners.

I can see Paul's point, and I like the informal, more personal meets, but for the big shows, it seems a good idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back