Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and a Happy New Year to one and all :beer:
I wonder if anyone can tell me ( I'm sure someone will) if a cracked windscreen is an automatic MOT failure? :Sad:
My screen has about a 2in crack in the bottom centre well out of my sight line when driving. It has been there since just after the last MOT and has not got any bigger.
Thanks
John

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think the rule is something like 'crack must not be within the swept area of the wiper blades, or it's a fail'.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Put a motorhome Funsters badge over it to hide it:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i thought a crack was a fail regardless of position on the screen. go over a bump and it may travel across the screen in seconds. a chip over a certain size 10mm? will be a fail if it falls in the area swept by the windscreen wipers

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i thought a crack was a fail regardless of position on the screen. go over a bump and it may travel across the screen in seconds. a chip over a certain size 10mm? will be a fail if it falls in the area swept by the windscreen wipers

I think that comes under the heading of 'might', as far as the MOT test is concerned.
The tester must decide on condition at the time the vehicle is presented for inspection. He cant say that this track rod end, for instance, 'might fail' in the next whatever period of time, or that this tyre 'might' be worn out in two weeks.
The technical answer.

The MOT
Depending on where it is located, some windscreen damage will result in an MOT failure if not attended to. The screen is divided into two areas for the purposes of the MOT.

The 'A-zone' infront of the driver
Immediately In front of the driver (The 'A-zone' – a 290mm wide band centered on the steering column and bounded top and bottom by the wiper swept area) – damage larger than 10mm across will normally result in a failure.
Elsewhere on the windscreen – damage larger than 40mm across will normally result in failure.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is what the AA say: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/windscreen-vision-safety.html

The diagram doesn't make it very clear, so to speak, that this only applies to swept areas, i.e. inside the bits swept by the wipers. Something bigger than 40mm will thus fail in the area not directly in front of the driver. In front of the driver it is 10mm.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Think you ought to call Steve from Autoglass

Fixed my wife's crack problem :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think you ought to call Steve from Autoglass

Fixed my wife's crack problem :thumb:

BEST OF THE DAY!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Something bigger than 40mm will thus fail in the area not directly in front of the driver.

Yes, but the crack has to be horizontal for a fail. Vertical cracks don't count for a fail if outside the swept area.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you're comprehensive with a coachbuilt ? a new screen will only cost you the excess with no penalty on your insurance. I had a new screen not long after buying it November 2012 and my premium has not been affected at all.

EDIT
your glass excess that is! usually £75 to £100

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
BEST OF THE DAY!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, but the crack has to be horizontal for a fail. Vertical cracks don't count for a fail if outside the swept area.
dirty old bugger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

or is it just me with a mucky mind and a gloriously misspent youth? :Cool:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
dirty old bugger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

or is it just me with a mucky mind and a gloriously misspent youth? :Cool:

OH DEAR.........THE VERY THOUGHT!! Never even entered my head! I just assumed that Mrs Haganap had a vertical crack........In her screen that is! Anyway, if hers had been vertical, then Steve from autoglass wouldn't have been able to fill it.

I think that's right.....:Eeek::Eeek:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
OH DEAR.........THE VERY THOUGHT!! Never even entered my head! I just assumed that Mrs Haganap had a vertical crack........In her screen that is! Anyway, if hers had been vertical, then Steve from autoglass wouldn't have been able to fill it.

I think that's right.....:Eeek::Eeek:

I remember being told in my early teens that vertical cracks could slide down banisters quite easily, horizontal cracks would find it almost impossible:Blush:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That brings back painful memories. As a young, (but nicely developed) child, I slid down the handrail in the local co-op. I cracked my horizontals something cruel, and ended up vertical on the floor, crying in agony. Amusing now, but certainly not then. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back