Shower tray repair using epoxy (1 Viewer)

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I know that there are threads regarding the repair of cracks in shower trays, but I am planning a pre-emptive strike.

There is a slight movement of the shower tray of my B544 and I believe that this could lead to cracking due to continued flexing if left untreated.

Has anyone got any experience of using epoxy resin to add support to the underneath? I am thinking of drilling a series of small holes just through the tray, and then injecting the 2 part resin.

I am hoping that when this has cured the small gaps between the tray and floor will be filled, stopping any further flexing.

I do not want to use expanding foam, as it is difficult to judge the correct quantity, and thus cause more damage than it solves.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
As far as I am aware Epoxy Resin dries solid and is therefore unflexible and will crack again as soon as pressure is applied...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
brave man drilling the base to fix a problem which may never happen.

Recipe for potential leaks as the shower tray may expand at a different rate to the epoxy resin in the holes.

Expanding foam may also compress over time and be ineffective.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Our shower tray also flexes and I have asked 2 service engineers and both said yes the floor should flex
Its slightly raised in the middle, hopefully they are correct

JEB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
shower trat repair

Have a look at Anglo Adhesives .. Used their product to repair cracking on my MH shower tray..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think drilling holes in a shower tray that doesn't leak is a very good idea. If it ain't broke .................

Expanding foam may give a bit of extra support but don't make holes in the shower tray to get it in.

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
JUST IN CASE..... :Doh:

Link Removed

I had the speedcote treatment done on our shower tray in 2012 because of persistent cracking, despite constant use it is as good now as when it was done. Its not cheap but it really does the job.::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah ours flexes a bit but don't see any point in drilling it and stuff till it actually cracks when you can do it then if it ever cracks or maybe not:thumb:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Coachbuilders that install the mickey mouse shower trays that they do should be shot at birth !

I am ripping the crap out and putting in a domestic one. Not the heavy stone one but the high density foam acrylic skinned ones. The gross difference in weight would be measured in a pound or two and while I am at it putting in a sensible trap and suitable diameter waste pipe to the black waste tank. I love the principle of motor homes but oh dear the closer you look, they are not "Clyde built" !! :winky:

OP
OP
capinpugwash

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the tips and advice.

I took an inspection panel off and gained access to under the shower tray and surrounding area. All is solid and dry and well supported. There is a slight movement of the tray but in an area that is difficult to support anyway,. I will leave well alone, as trying to support that area may result in stress elsewhere.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We have just had our bathroom at home made into a wet room.We had a crack in the front of the toilet in the MH,got the guy who done the wetroom floor to use abit of the leftover flooring to repair it, great job,better than new,would be perfect for MH shower trays.

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
We used speedcoat on ours last year as it was getting tatty and crazed, also a bit of flexing
the result was brilliant, would recommend every time, only trouble is now as always when you
decorate one the other looks tatty, so will be getting that done this year.

Speedcoat on the right!!.

Link Removed

Attachments

• P1030603.jpg
    P1030603.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
hymer shower tray

I know this is a fairly old post but !
Have you fixed your shower tray ?
This seems to be a problem shared with quite a few others.
I fixed mine along the lines you described a year or so ago. Yes it does work. No it doesn't leak after.
I have a few photos if you're interested.
Maybe you could PM me.
Not sure how that works yet on this forum as I've only just subscribed.
Regards
Barrie.

OP
OP
capinpugwash

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My shower tray was not cracked, I was looking to see if I could find out if the flexing was a future problem.

When I dug deeper I found that it was best to leave it to see if it got worse. I could not improve the underneath support due to the design.

Watch this space !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back