Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I am sure many of you know that Spanish bars have hard tiled floors and drop your phone on one and the result will be a cracked screen. :Doh:

Just done that to my Samsung Ace, so is it possible to get the front glass replaced and at what cost?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
My son recently broke the glass on his Galaxy S4 ... he repaired it himself with a replacement from Amazon for around £7, so you should be able to fix yours quite cheaply.

He did say it was an easy job if a little fiddly.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
if it is the same as an iphone the screen and digitiser are bonded together. If you look on youtube you will find clear instructions on how to remove and replace. I have fixed many iPhones but not Samsung.
Parts are readily available on ebay, although not usually original apple, don't know about Samsung but usually work quite well.

Now there's a challenge for you. :Smile:

Alternatively pay someone else to repair it maybe costing £50 to £80 maybe more:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
jusus christ what a boring voice...I fell asleep so still dont know how to do it.

he certainly cant work and talk at the same time.

the guy can maybe fix phones but a photographer he will never be.

Totally agree John

I watched it through and then there is a part 2.

He makes something that is really quite simple look difficult:Smile:

Totally incompetent. :Smile:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Totally agree John

You don't fill me with confidence L J :RollEyes:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
On Xmas day my son in laws phone was charging on the worktop, he opened wall cupboard and a bottle of oil ( glass) fell on his phone. Made a right mess of it. I think he was looking at £50 to get it fixed. Has insurance but that has £100 excess.

And you're right about tiled floors, they are merciless.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Keith, do a search on youtube, there will be a better video than the one shown.

It is all down to you. Do you feel confident to give it a go.:Smile:

Like I said I have repaired many many iphone screen breakages, but the first one was not easy.:Smile:

I can do it now without referring to you tube, and boy does it feel good when you switch it on and everything works.

You can do it.

Or someone else can:Smile:

I have always loved to take things to pieces and then put them back together again:Smile:
You don't fill me with confidence L J :RollEyes:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Totally agree John

sorry guy's i was only trying to show it was possible to do the repair.....:cry::cry:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks for all your replys, I will wait until I get home to try it as I have another phone at home which will come into it's own if I cock it all up. :Eeek:

You are wright though L J, there are much better vids on YouTube than that one and it doesn't look too bad to do. :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Plenty of good advice there, all I'd add is check whether or not it's the actual screen that's gone or just the glass cover above it, and secondly try an eBay search on the phone make and model with 'spares' added to see whether you can pick a low cost replacement up.

I say this as one who flogs job lots of knackered mobiles on eBay for spares - it's a thriving market out there.

Mind you, having said that, Smart phone spares can be pricey - I've just sold my washing machined Galaxy SIII for nearly £50 just as scrap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Plenty of good advice there, all I'd add is check whether or not it's the actual screen that's gone or just the glass cover above it, and secondly try an eBay search on the phone make and model with 'spares' added to see whether you can pick a low cost replacement up.

I say this as one who flogs job lots of knackered mobiles on eBay for spares - it's a thriving market out there.

Mind you, having said that, Smart phone spares can be pricey - I've just sold my washing machined Galaxy SIII for nearly £50 just as scrap.

Yes a good idea that.

I have been able to establish that everything works on my phone so hoping it is only the glass, I can feel the cracks on the surface of the glass.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, the glass is the screen.. and as already said really easy to replace your self..

If you get a replacement I am VERY confident you will be able to replace it your self Keith, following the instructions on uTube as others have suggested :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Before you start dismantling get one of those magnetic dishes to put the screws in and store them in groups as you take them out:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back