rear restrants (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

now I know there is a very good article written by jim on the subject http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine/articles/motorhome-seatbelt-law-and-best-practise/
but there are so many vans out there without any restraints fitted
There is from watt I can find during my research on the subject only a few published documents
http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/uploads/publications/general/retrofit.pdf
There is a lot on various forums by a grate number of know it all’s
But nothing written in stone
A lot about watt if you had a clam well would the seat belts retro fitted and sinned off by a qualified mot tester come in to question

(1)They have to come under construction and use regulations
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/part/II/chapter/J/made

so the bottom line is you buy a van made after 2007

Choice (1)
lives it very much the preserve of the wealthy of which a lot of motor homers would like to see it none of them peasants coming to our meets
wont have to wave at the peasants

Or choice (2)
The motor homers with older vans take their chances and drive around without restraints in the back

Or choice (3) retro fit seat belts that conform to British standard integral fitted belts in a frame constructed seat.
This is within the capability's of me and many motor homers

The only reference I have seen is they must bear the EU and British standard
must be of sufficient strength to withstand a impact Must conform to construction and use regulations

Ok folks
My theory on this is that watt ever I put in my van is better than nothing and will be over engineered.

Time to shoot me down in flames

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well ours is a 2006 Bill.
2 x 3 point seat belts forwards facing in the rear. Perfect layout for the 5 of us when we bought it 5 years ago. We knew that our kids would start work and stop coming with us as often. One by one . We knew we were one seatbelt short too.

So we fitted a rear lap strap bolted to the cab chassis . Who ever sat on the seat had to sit legs up lounging, with their back head neck supported. Back towards the cab.

Not ideal , but if we were in an accident, unless the cooker/ sink became un hinged and smashed full into them they'd be ok. :whatthe:

Now we go away without the kids, having all the space , of the big l shape lounge , side sofa ,swivel front seats . When they do come , as one 5
Two or three . There's the space for them to sit safely.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ignoring the legal issues, you would have to live with your own consionce if an accident ever happened and the seatbelt or seat failed. having said that i have built and fitted frames to hold seatbelts in van conversions before. take a good look and some photos of the frame in a modern coachbuilt then copy it. most importantly bolt it through the chassis and if not there already an outrigger so its secure. sleeve the bolts through the floor as these wont hold the weight of an impact if theres wood in between

a simple enough job for a man with a tig welder that knows what theyre doing. plenty of inertia and static belts on ebay.

safer than not having seatbelts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well ours is a 2006 Bill.
2 x 3 point seat belts forwards facing in the rear. Perfect layout for the 5 of us when we bought it 5 years ago. We knew that our kids would start work and stop coming with us as often. One by one . We knew we were one seatbelt short too.

So we fitted a rear lap strap bolted to the cab chassis . Who ever sat on the seat had to sit legs up lounging, with their back head neck supported. Back towards the cab.

Not ideal , but if we were in an accident, unless the cooker/ sink became un hinged and smashed full into them they'd be ok. :whatthe:

Now we go away without the kids, having all the space , of the big l shape lounge , side sofa ,swivel front seats . When they do come , as one 5
Two or three . There's the space for them to sit safely.
well that wat I was getting at it just I had someone get up my back abut fitting seat belts nearly ended in blows

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ignoring the legal issues, you would have to live with your own consionce if an accident ever happened and the seatbelt or seat failed. having said that i have built and fitted frames to hold seatbelts in van conversions before. take a good look and some photos of the frame in a modern coachbuilt then copy it. most importantly bolt it through the chassis and if not there already an outrigger so its secure. sleeve the bolts through the floor as these wont hold the weight of an impact if theres wood in between

a simple enough job for a man with a tig welder that knows what theyre doing. plenty of inertia and static belts on ebay.

safer than not having seatbelts
and there are lodes of mini bus seat's on the market that wouldn't take much modification

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if youve seen the pictures of motor homes being crash tested at thirty miles per hour and the type of seat thats fitted to a lot of motor homes with the central pillar to house the belts fails drastically

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if youve seen the pictures of motor homes being crash tested at thirty miles per hour and the type of seat thats fitted to a lot of motor homes with the central pillar to house the belts fails drastically

that must be that case in mine buses to then but there are other designs thanks for bringing that to my attention:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back