Dried Figs....Friend or Foe !!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
One packet !! Currently looking at immersing the little buggers in some Red wine, lemon and Orange zest along with some sugar for an hour or so ! similar to pears !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Looking for recipes for dried figs !! Sensible please.....:winky::winky::winky:

I use them as a "sweetmeat" which can be served with coffee after a meal or as an appetizer with drinks before a meal:

Just slit and stuff with hazelnuts! Absolutely delicious! :thumb:

Also serve this way to accompany cava after coffee!

Last edited:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Soak them overnight in something alcoholic, like earl grey tea and grand marnier. Then crumble topping and serve with custard. Nice and warming for a cold winter day lunchtime.

Alternatively after soaking in stout overnight, wrap in smoked streaky bacon, then 20 mins in hot oven. Great nibbles with a glass of something.

Peter

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'd add them to a savoury dish, try chicken marinated in olive oil, white wine (or white wine vinegar) chopped rosemary and thyme, chopped dates, dried apricots, olives, brown sugar, chopped red onion, salt and pepper, chuck it all in a bowl leave for as long as you've got then cover with foil and bake in oven til cooked. Serve with cous cous which you've added toasted nuts, fried onions to.

It all sounds like a car crash but it eats well, it's kind off Moroccan inspired.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Disgusting fayre !!

I'd add them to a savoury dish, try chicken marinated in olive oil, white wine (or white wine vinegar) chopped rosemary and thyme, chopped dates, dried apricots, olives, brown sugar, chopped red onion, salt and pepper, chuck it all in a bowl leave for as long as you've got then cover with foil and bake in oven til cooked. Serve with[HI][HI] cous cous [/HI][/HI]which you've added toasted nuts, fried onions to.

It all sounds like a car crash but it eats well, it's kind off Moroccan inspired.

Food of the Devil, along with Broccoli, courgettes and those bean things that make yer toofypegs squeak !!

Otherwise, great suggestion, thanks ! (Thanks button still not working !!)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
:ROFLMAO:

What about rice? it's quite a juicy dish so you need something to mop up the juice.

If we ever meet at a rally, I'll try and convert you to couscous, there's a knack to it!:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The making of coffee nibbles is the easiest,we usually split them and fill with a variety of items apart from Almonds and nuts,we use nibs of good chocolate,marzipan and my kids onetime favourite,Mars bar slices or the mini ones in Celebrations.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Here's another version which usually goes down very well:

Winter Fruit Salad

Ingredients:
1 pint Water
2 Tablespoons Clear Honey
2 (1 inch) pieces Cinnamon Sticks
6 Cloves
Juice of half a Lemon
6oz Dried Apricots (soaked overnight)
4 oz Dried Prunes (soaked overnight)
4oz Dried Figs (soaked overnight)
2oz Raisins (soaked overnight)
4oz Walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1oz Flaked Almonds, Toasted

Method:
Place Water, Honey, Cinnamon and Cloves in a pan and bring to the boil.
Add Lemon Juice. Drain the dried Apricots, Prunes and Figs and add to the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the Raisins and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Discard the Cinnamon and Cloves.
Spoon into individual serving dishes and sprinkle with the Walnuts and Almonds.
Serve hot or cold with cream if liked.

I usually serve it warm - neither hot nor cold! :thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Food of the Devil, along with Broccoli, courgettes and those bean things that make yer toofypegs squeak !!

How can you not like couscous? Essential for a tagine - one of those dishes with slow roasted lamb, lemons and FIGS!

Courgettes? Sliced, add halved cherry tomatoes, olive oil and then grate cheese over the top and bung in the oven. Delicious with bangers and mash. Best done with fresh ones as frozen courgettes become bitter after a while.

Couscous is also a better campers' food than rice as it is so much easier to cook - just add boiling water to it and then leave to stand. It has become a staple of my cycle camping, where I have to cook everything on a single burner.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Steve!!!!
I'm quite in shock! Couscous is the traditional meal in my country (Blackfoot from Algeria) !! May be I should cook you one the old way ..... and sorry to say but there are courgettes in!

Now what's this phobia about brocolis courgettes and couscous? Some bad souvenir??

Come on , lie down... and .... say it all to little Frankie:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back