Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Given that we now know that anywhere remotely south of Limoges will require a larger than current sized dish and Spain will require Jordrell bank proportions, what are we going to do.
I dont think dishes will get bigger and what about people that have bought data systems, where they misadvised?

Philk

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Given that we now know that anywhere remotely south of Limoges will require a larger than current sized dish and Spain will require Jordrell bank proportions, what are we going to do.

Leave the tele at home and just enjoy the sun ::bigsmile: plus , more room for wine::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I dont think dishes will get bigger and what about people that have bought data systems, where they misadvised?

Philk

Learn to speak German, Astra 1 is still available. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
On our ten weeks tour of Spain and Portugal in sep,oct,nov, we didn't bother with the tv.
We watched the odd DVD but mainly did what we used to do, enjoy each others company, play games, walk and sit in the sunshine, have a meal, chat with other motorhomers, have a few drinks etc.
And we did not miss the dreaded tv at all.
Much nicer. Even my missus, and ardent Corrie, and Emmerdale fan, didn't miss it.
I was amazed at the amount of MH/RVs that pulled up on sites or parking areas, and the first thing they did was up the dish. And if no signal, move and try again. Shame so many people rely so much on their tv for 'entertainment'.
We are going back for nine weeks in a fortnight, and we are looking forward to being without the damn thing.

Craig

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Picking up most of what we get at home on our "Oyster" dish at Benidorm...

I think Oyster`s are about 60 or 80 cm...

Take a good length of Sat Coax cable, as a lot of big sites have the facility`s to hook up to the site dish.. :thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
...and Spain will require Jordrell bank proportions, what are we going to do.
Again it will depends where you are in Spain.
Astra 2F carries BBC1HD, ITV1, ITV1HD, C4HD and the Fives...all of which are an easy catch around the Valencia region (As "old-mo" mentions) - so no "jodrell bank sized dishes" required here for those channels.

Also, it will be February before anyone knows what actual reception of Astra 2E, the second of three new UK TV satellites, will be like...it may be the same or similar as 2F, or completely different...

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

Philk

Buy a Scrabble set - cheaper and much more entertaining! :thumb::thumb:

Catherine

OP
OP
philk

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Future satellite

I agree with you all about ipad, kindle, games etc. In fact in 20 years of camping, we have only had a tv for the last 5. My question is more practical, is there an alternative planned? Or is it all over?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with you all about ipad, kindle, games etc. In fact in 20 years of camping, we have only had a tv for the last 5. My question is more practical, is there an alternative planned? Or is it all over?

Your question implies that the operators might consider planning an alternative. Why should they even consider it when the UK commercial channels have no financial incentive to sell airtime outside the UK and the BBC is mandated not to (other than BBC Worldwide operations)? In fact I think most, if not all, UK broadcasters are restrained by international broadcasting agreements from attempting to cover other territories. To date, we have benefitted from technological limitations leading to satellite coverage overspill, but now technology has caught up. The solutions seem to be: forget broadcast TV; watch via an internet stream (not always possible if the TV player 'spots' your IP address location); watch DVDs; enjoy the wine / sun / culture etc.; play tiddlywinks or an alternative.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The beauty of sat TV is that there are so many to chose from and lots have some English speaking Programs. If you speak another language then you have more choice of course. Must be some USA sats up there that are easier to tune to.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
The beauty of sat TV is that there are so many to chose from and lots have some English speaking Programs. If you speak another language then you have more choice of course. Must be some USA sats up there that are easier to tune to.

You will not get many of the USA satellite here in Europe...there are one or two NBC feeds on 15 west...show American football on Sundays.

The sats at 26 east and 7 west carry MBCs and Fox and Fox movies, and can be receive in southern Europe, and carry a lot of UK and USA imports, in English, but with hardcoded Arabic subtitles.

As mentioned there is the BBC Entertainment satellite service operated by BBC worldwide, and carries a selection of BBC programming. The service is designed for expats.

Also, itvessentials on tinternet allows you to watch your ITV soaps outside the UK for a fee...

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Again it will depends where you are in Spain.
Astra 2F carries BBC1HD, ITV1, ITV1HD, C4HD and the Fives...all of which are an easy catch around the Valencia region (As "old-mo" mentions) - so no "jodrell bank sized dishes" required here for those channels.

Also, it will be February before anyone knows what actual reception of Astra 2E, the second of three new UK TV satellites, will be like...it may be the same or similar as 2F, or completely different...

Hi, we arrived at La Manga a couple of days ago and Mike tried to set up the 1.2 dish to receive Sky yesterday, with no success. The signal strength is very good, but there is nothing on the quality of the signal.

Could you tell me exactly which satellite and settings we should be pointing at? and what frequency the receiver should be. I tried to put in 12207 and pressed select, but as soon as I went off the page it changed back to 11 something or other.

We have Horizon satellite finder but that is still looking for Astra 1N.

We really appreciate any help and advice you can give because although not dependent on the dreaded TV Mike does like his Sky sports occasionally!

Happy New Year to you,

Ginny and Mike

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi, we arrived at La Manga a couple of days ago and Mike tried to set up the 1.2 dish to receive Sky yesterday, with no success. The signal strength is very good, but there is nothing on the quality of the signal.

The most popular reason for this is you are not aligning to the correct group of satellites.

Could you tell me exactly which satellite and settings we should be pointing at? and what frequency the receiver should be. I tried to put in 12207 and pressed select, but as soon as I went off the page it changed back to 11 something or other.
For UK TV you require the 4 satellites at 28.2/28.5 degrees east of south.

Usually the Sky box needs to be set on 11778 - as that is the main frequency that carries the full 7 day Sky guide data.

But in some areas of Spain, and on smaller dishes, and if trying to align a dish, 11778 may be hard to receive.

So you change the default transponder frequency setting to an easier to receive frequency - like 12207.

(you must do this in the correct screen - add channels does not always work, it must be the default transponder frequency screen!)

If the dish is aligned correctly, the sky box will download the channel list and limited SKy data from that frequency.

Once that data download is completed, you will be on Sky channels 998 - but you may not actually receive channel 998, as again your dish may be too small to receive that particular frequency. The key is the EPG data in the banner at the bottom of the screen.

Once that EPG data is downloaded, your manually input frequency is then ignored, as the sky box will use whichever of the 100 plus frequencies it needs to use for the channels you have selected.

Hopefully 11778 is relocated onto the European beam of 2E come February, so no more having to change this default frequency!

We have Horizon satellite finder but that is still looking for Astra 1N.
Astra 1N is one of the satellites you need to look for.
UK TV currently comes from 4 satellites : 1N, 2A, 2F and Eutelsat28A.
1N is a "temporary" satellite and will be replaced soon by 2E.
But name of the satellite makes no difference, it is down tot he frequency your meter is using.

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The most popular reason for this is you are not aligning to the correct group of satellites.

For UK TV you require the 4 satellites at 28.2/28.5 degrees east of south.

Usually the Sky box needs to be set on 11778 - as that is the main frequency that carries the full 7 day Sky guide data.

But in some areas of Spain, and on smaller dishes, and if trying to align a dish, 11778 may be hard to receive.

So you change the default transponder frequency setting to an easier to receive frequency - like 12207.

(you must do this in the correct screen - add channels does not always work, it must be the default transponder frequency screen!)

If the dish is aligned correctly, the sky box will download the channel list and limited SKy data from that frequency.

Once that data download is completed, you will be on Sky channels 998 - but you may not actually receive channel 998, as again your dish may be too small to receive that particular frequency. The key is the EPG data in the banner at the bottom of the screen.

Once that EPG data is downloaded, your manually input frequency is then ignored, as the sky box will use whichever of the 100 plus frequencies it needs to use for the channels you have selected.

Hopefully 11778 is relocated onto the European beam of 2E come February, so no more having to change this default frequency!

Astra 1N is one of the satellites you need to look for.
UK TV currently comes from 4 satellites : 1N, 2A, 2F and Eutelsat28A.
1N is a "temporary" satellite and will be replaced soon by 2E.
But name of the satellite makes no difference, it is down tot he frequency your meter is using.

Is the default frequency screen one of those which you have to put the engineers code in first, I cant remember what that sequence was.

We also have an Avtex TV with satellite built in, if we find a signal, and we have had a good signal and quality on other satellites, but obviously not the right one for Sky. Do you know if I can change which satellite the avtex looks for and how do I then tune into those programms as when I press the AQT key button it does not really do anything,

I appreciate your help.

Ginny

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Avtex Satellite TV

Hi, I. have worked out how to search for channels and we have Hotbird and Eurosat wall to wall so we will be able to watch the news and a bit of weird sport. We could also learn a different language!!

If we can get these two with excellent S and Q is there any easy way to get the satellite which will giive us Sky?

There are people close by at La Manga who have the same dish and a sky receiver and they are getting programs with 70% S and only 4% Q. We can get 74% S but no quality of picture.

Ginny and a very frustrated Mike!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Is the default frequency screen one of those which you have to put the engineers code in first, I cant remember what that sequence was.

SD boxes: Services 4 0 1 select
HD boxes :Services 0 0 1 select

We also have an Avtex TV with satellite built in, if we find a signal, and we have had a good signal and quality on other satellites, but obviously not the right one for Sky. Do you know if I can change which satellite the avtex looks for and how do I then tune into those programms as when I press the AQT key button it does not really do anything,

Nope sorry. Usually you have a list of all the various satellites, so you can load up channels from that satellite.

Hi, I. have worked out how to search for channels and we have Hotbird and Eurosat wall to wall so we will be able to watch the news and a bit of weird sport. We could also learn a different language!! If we can get these two with excellent S and Q is there any easy way to get the satellite which will giive us Sky?!

Sky signals can vary a lot (4 satellites with about 8 different beams) and reception differs a lot compared to other satellites - hotbird can be received in most of Spain on a 60cm dish...so I would expect hotbird signals to be better than the UKTV satellites anyway.

But again, taking 11778 - in some areas of Spain 11778 is only available 24/7 on 2.4m dishes - its reception varies so much.
So if you are trying to use that as a lock, and your dish is too small to receive it, then the Sky box will show no signal or quality on its test screen, as that test screen generally shows the levels for 11778!
So it is perfectly usual for the sky box signal test screen to show no signals at all (from 11778) , but the box may actually be able to receive the many other signals perfectly OK, which will not be shown on the test screen.
And 11778 varies so much during the day also - nice and strong at 5am, weakest at 5pm...
And 11778 is also very LNB skew sensitive...
And different receivers have different components so will give different indications for signal levels...

So use a frequency which you know you can get - like 12207 - to align the dish to the correct satellites!
And when you use that, you will see an improvement in the test screen indicators, as you are asking the box to lock onto a much stronger signal...
Then the sky box will download the EPG data from 12207.
Then the Sky box will, as it should, start to use 11778 again...and the test screen indicators will reflect this...

SD Sky boxes will always use 11778 when you go into the menu system, as 11778 carries the SKy Guide music also!!!

If we can get these two with excellent S and Q is there any easy way to get the satellite which will giive us Sky?!
Forget the sky box and use your meter...?
Use it with your Avtex rather than the Sky box...?

There are people close by at La Manga who have the same dish and a sky receiver and they are getting programs with 70% S and only 4% Q. We can get 74% S but no quality of picture.!

But the "70% S and only 4%" will only be for one of the 100 plus frequencies - probably 11778...?
Again, ignore what the test screen on a Sky box shows - it means nothing and can give, like you have found out, a false impression of what signals you are getting or not getting.

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
SD boxes: Services 4 0 1 select
HD boxes :Services 0 0 1 select

And 11778 is also very LNB skew sensitive...

The dreaded skew - at the moment it is set at 25 to the hour, if you know what I mean, should it be different from this?

SD Sky boxes will always use 11778 when you go into the menu system, as 11778 carries the SKy Guide music also!!!

Does it matter which sky cable we put into the sky box, I know that when using our dome this is critical.?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
The dreaded skew - at the moment it is set at 25 to the hour, if you know what I mean, should it be different from this?

Well if you are in an area where 11778 is unavailable on your size dish, then changing the LNB skew will not make any difference anyway!

But if you know you are in an area where 11778 is available, then even the smallest changes in skew can help with 11778.

And even the distance of the LNB from the face of the dish is critical and can make the difference of good or weak signal.

Does it matter which sky cable we put into the sky box, I know that when using our dome this is critical.?
Erm...I have no idea what you mean by this, or what other cables you have to put into the Sky box...!!!!
You need to attach the cable that comes from the LNB of the dish you are using to the Sky box!
No connection = no signal!
So yes it does matter which cable you use!:Smile:

If you are using a crappy "beeper" signal meter that is inline between your sky box and LNB, then:
reboot the sky box
change the default transponder to 12207
go to the test screen
align the dish - but you wil have to do this slowly as the sky box can lag in its response.
If the sky box shows network id of 0002, and the indicators show up, and you get the date and time on the screen, then you are on the correct satellites.
Then lock down the dish.
Wait for the sky box to download the EPG from 12207.
The go to a BBC channel and fine tune the dish.

But like I said, just relying on the sky box signal test screen for comparisons is not good, as it does not as many times the signal that the screen uses may simply not be available on your sized dish where you are.

(My 80cm dish here in Valencia gets 11778 from 10pm until about 3pm. So throguh the day between 3pm to 10pm the sky box wil show no signal on its test screen. but that does not mean that all the other 100 plus frequencies are unavailable....just that one the screen is showing. So it is around 2pm, that I can adjust the skew on the LNB to try and maximise that frequency...no point in doing the skew when I know the dish is too small to receivce the signal in the first place!)

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well if you are in an area where 11778 is unavailable on your size dish, then changing the LNB skew will not make any difference anyway!

But if you know you are in an area where 11778 is available, then even the smallest changes in skew can help with 11778.

And even the distance of the LNB from the face of the dish is critical and can make the difference of good or weak signal.

Erm...I have no idea what you mean by this, or what other cables you have to put into the Sky box...!!!!
You need to attach the cable that comes from the LNB of the dish you are using to the Sky box!
No connection = no signal!
So yes it does matter which cable you use!:Smile:

If you are using a crappy "beeper" signal meter that is inline between your sky box and LNB, then:
reboot the sky box
change the default transponder to 12207
go to the test screen
align the dish - but you wil have to do this slowly as the sky box can lag in its response.
If the sky box shows network id of 0002, and the indicators show up, and you get the date and time on the screen, then you are on the correct satellites.
Then lock down the dish.
Wait for the sky box to download the EPG from 12207.
The go to a BBC channel and fine tune the dish.

But like I said, just relying on the sky box signal test screen for comparisons is not good, as it does not as many times the signal that the screen uses may simply not be available on your sized dish where you are.

(My 80cm dish here in Valencia gets 11778 from 10pm until about 3pm. So throguh the day between 3pm to 10pm the sky box wil show no signal on its test screen. but that does not mean that all the other 100 plus frequencies are unavailable....just that one the screen is showing. So it is around 2pm, that I can adjust the skew on the LNB to try and maximise that frequency...no point in doing the skew when I know the dish is too small to receivce the signal in the first place!)

Sorry I should have said, we have a twin LNB dome and must have R1 connected to 1 on our sky receiver. We also have a twin LNB for the dish so I just wondered if it was as important or could they be attached to either.

We have a Horizon USB satellite meter which is usually very accurate and will lock on within minutes. I updated it recently and it is set to look for Astra 1N first, then it can be set for others.

Tomorrow we are going to have another go and follow your instructions carefully, lets hope we have more joy.

Thanks

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back