Draught coming in through the fridge vents (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I went into the van a couple of days ago during the high winds and noticed quite a draught coming in between the microwave oven and the fridge.
So, I had a good poke around inside the top vent and it seems the seal around the back of the fridge, doesn't!
I assume when the fridge is running on gas, there is the potential for fumes from the fridge exhaust to enter the van through this gap? :whatthe:
Thinking back, I remember noticing the same draught one day when we were away just after buying the van and while the fridge was running on gas (which it generally is) and if memory serves me correctly, the fumes contain carbon monoxide?
I assume the gap has always been there, nothing has moved, so we have been living in a potentially dangerous van on and off for the past 6 months........

I think I might have to phone up Autosleepers after the holiday.......

Allan

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The fridge SHOULD be sealed. Not many manufacturers install ANYTHING properly according to the installation instructions.
Yes, as you rightly say, the fridge has the potential to leak CO inside the van.:whatthe:

Yes, Autosleepers deserve a kick up the arse!:Angry:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have always noticed on any van that there is a draught coming from around the fridge when that side is to the wind.
Many times I have sealed around it with some packing tape to keep the van warm.
Not pretty but it's something I've always done and accepted, aren't they all like that then?
We too have an Autosleeper but have had it with other van as mentioned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
There is a wooden frame around the back of the fridge with neoprene foam glued to it that should butt up to the fridge, problem is, theres a 5mm gap, where the draught comes in. I am guessing this should create a seal to stop any fumes going back into the hab area. I'll see what AS say!
Allan

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Sounds as if AutoSleepers at least made a decent attempt at sealing the fridge (wooden battens plus foam strip) - just didn't get it quite right. Had the same draught/fume problem with the TEC Tower in my Hobby - details here: Broken Link Removed

The proper draught-proofing of motorhome fridges has become a personal crusade of mine. If everyone refused to buy a van until it had been demonstrated that the fridge was draught-free, the manufacturers would soon get their act together.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Elddis had draughts aplenty from the fridge.
Our current Chausson is well sealed.

Fridge draughts must be an NCC requirement!!!:roflmto:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Have you got this type of fridge fitted and the winter covers that fit on to stop draughts but still let the fridge breathe
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/product...r-cream.html?gclid=CI6T0ajH17sCFUr4wgodiiYA_g

No, we have a Thetford N3150 fridge freezer, I have a vent cover in the lower vent only, the one in the top vent got very hot and stopped the fridge working properly.

Just sent an email to A/S to see what they think, but I will take it into the dealers later and let them have a look.
I would fix it myself, but we aren't using the van for a week or two and as I spent £50K+ on it, I expect things like this to be right or at least fixed afterwards.

Allan

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I would fix it myself, but we aren't using the van for a week or two and as I spent £50K+ on it, [HI]I expect things like this to be right or at least fixed afterwards[/HI].

Exactly! If people are prepared to fix it themselves then there's no incentive for manufacturers to spend the production line time (and hence money) installing fridges properly in the first place. :wub:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I found when fitting a new 240v element that the foam wasn't really doing anything so I refitted it correctly Also, round the front of the fridge housing, I have fitted draught excluder foam strips as you would fit round house windows. Seems to do the trick. When the van is laid up as now I fit the winter vent covers and then wrap clingfilm round the insect screens to help keep the temperature up in the van.

Rgds
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in the case of a new van, have it sorted under warranty. if on an older van remove the vent covers and use duct tape to cover the gap between battons and fridge. its likely that this is what the dealer will do anyway

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I recently fitted a later model fridge to mine.
You can see the sealing strip peaking out along the bottom edge, this goes up the sides too but was poorly sealed at the top by Rapido. I had to modify it for the new unit anyway so complete 100% now
CA_08041314144488-L.jpg

CA_08041314140640-L.jpg

mobic

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Linlithgow, West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Gas Fridges, Draughts etc.

One of the first thing I did when we got NINA was to fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Near the side door and low down as CO is heavier than air :cry:. Peace of mind :winky:

Best Wishes for the new year. Mobic

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Luckily, we have a CO and a smoke alarm already fitted.
I had a good look around in daylight and it only seems to be the top left corner, about 6 or 7 inches from the corner, that does not seal.
Above the top fridge vent, there are two circular vents, I assume for the microwave. These seem to vent straight into the housing the microwave is in , and as there is a gap around the microwave, the draught comes in there too.
I sealed these off temporarily, but the draught still comes through the fridge seal.

Heres a view of the van showing the vents. It was sunny and warm so we didn't notice any draughts then....

11675175913_65740d57e2.jpg

Allan

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
One of the first thing I did when we got NINA was to fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Near the side door and low down as CO is heavier than air :cry:. Peace of mind :winky:

Best Wishes for the new year. Mobic

Happy new year, first post of 2014 for me.
Actually, co is slightly lighter than air but mixes readily with the air in the room, so, technically, you can place it anywhere as long as it is away from doors, windows and at sources of ignition (ie, stuff you are monitoring)
I used to work closely with Kent Fire and Rescue, their recommendations were that the detector should be at head height so it can easily be seen and in places where people spend most time.
Ours is about a foot down from the ceiling in the rear bedroom.
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back