USB 256 gb pen drive under £15 (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
yep you read it right --just took delivery of a couple of USB-2 256GB pen/flash drives ---very impressed so far -- even if they are taking around 5 mins to transfer a 1.5 gb film from computer (a little slow) but still better than me having to burn them to a dvd :thumb:Hope they keep on working as this is a very cheap very portable form of storage :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Terry, please try and write a full 240GB of data to the drive and then verify the data.

This is too cheap to be true... A common con is to hack the USB circuit to report a higher level of storage than is present. Data is then corrupted when going over the actual physical size of the drive..

If you can write 240GB and verify it is correct tell me where where you bought them please :winky::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Terry, please try and write a full 240GB of data to the drive and then verify the data.

This is too cheap to be true... A common con is to hack the USB circuit to report a higher level of storage than is present. Data is then corrupted when going over the actual physical size of the drive..

If you can write 240GB and verify it is correct tell me where where you bought them please :winky::thumb:

I would also be interested, although I recon it will take a few hours to transfer 240GB at that rate - about 800 hours? :Doh: or 33 days? :whatthe:

I think I got that wrong, should not be doing maths after wine. :Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I recently bought a Samsung 64gb micro sd card at a good price from Amazon. When I checked the size on my Mac, it reported 66Gb! It went back to Amazon for a refund before I even tried to use it.
There are a lot of fake sd and usb storage devices around at the moment.

Look HERE for some pointers
Allan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK guys I have got 24 gb on it so far and all the films playback so will carry on loading it up :thumb:
NEVER GAVE MUCH THOUGHT ON it not being 256 gb but will admit it's very cheap ::bigsmile:
ANY quick way I can find out the capacity ? or is it a case of keep loading it ?Seen what looks to be the same for over £100 :Eeek:
terry

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
used this program h2testw when I bought 32G stick off ebay, seemed to work this utube clip may be of interest.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAel1f9h4Y"]Test and Detect Fake or Counterfeit USB Flash Drives Bought from eBay with H2testw - YouTube[/ame]

cheers John

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
OK guys I have got 24 gb on it so far and all the films playback so will carry on loading it up :thumb:
NEVER GAVE MUCH THOUGHT ON it not being 256 gb but will admit it's very cheap ::bigsmile:
ANY quick way I can find out the capacity ? or is it a case of keep loading it ?Seen what looks to be the same for over £100 :Eeek:
terry

There is no quick way as the more clever of the hackers rewrite the firmware to fool testers. The only way is to write the data and use a verifier.

If you are going to do it using films to test. ensure you check that the film plays all the way through. Use something like VLC to skip back and forth in the film at least 4-6 check points including beginning end and middle.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is no quick way as the more clever of the hackers rewrite the firmware to fool testers. The only way is to write the data and use a verifier.

If you are going to do it using films to test. ensure you check that the film plays all the way through. Use something like VLC to skip back and forth in the film at least 4-6 check points including beginning end and middle.

LOOKS LIKE I HAVE BEEN CONNED :Eeek::Eeek:
I HAVE LOADED IT UP WITH 40 GB OF FILMS and only the first 7 GB worth play :thumb: so it looks like a expensive 8 GB flash drive :cry:
Will be getting onto PP in the morning and also trying to stop the other 3 I ordered :Doh:
thanks for the heads up :thumb:
all the film are showing as there and it went through the motions of copying them over but would not play anything back other than the first 7 GB :Eeek::Doh: you live and learn ---will have to check every film in future not just look and see it showing as there:winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would also be interested, although I recon it will take a few hours to transfer 240GB at that rate - about 800 hours? :Doh: or 33 days? :whatthe:

I think I got that wrong, should not be doing maths after wine. :Doh::Doh:

I think its 800mins (13.3hours) and I haven't started on the wine but may do so soon.:wine:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
LOOKS LIKE I HAVE BEEN CONNED :Eeek::Eeek:
I HAVE LOADED IT UP WITH 40 GB OF FILMS and only the first 7 GB worth play :thumb: so it looks like a expensive 8 GB flash drive :cry:
Will be getting onto PP in the morning and also trying to stop the other 3 I ordered :Doh:
thanks for the heads up :thumb:
all the film are showing as there and it went through the motions of copying them over but would not play anything back other than the first 7 GB :Eeek::Doh: you live and learn ---will have to check every film in future not just look and see it showing as there:winky:::bigsmile:
terry

I am sorry you got caught out by this con.

Can I recommend that you now immediately contact the vendor. Tell them that you tried to copy 200GB of films over to the device but they fail to play. Ask them to send replacements for the faulty devices you have already ordered. Tell them that you are more than happy to return the faulty ones. Play like you are a schmuck etc...

Don't complain initially about rip off, cons etc....

They will likely refund you and tell you they are out of stock. At which point you have your money back and no damage done.

NOW!!!! strike back... Post a negative review all in capitals. Contact ebay and let them know they have a rip off merchant on their books..

for future reference. Look at the average cost/Gb of flash memory. If it is a lot below this price then it is a con.. There are no exceptions to this in my experience.. I have tested this a couple of times and have always found con merchants flogging hacked USB drives who refund immediately you ask for replacements.

They really don't expect you to fill it in a couple of weeks that they are running the con. By the time you do find out they expect to have moved onto a different account. If you can nail them the day of delivery they will immediately refund you to protect their investment in the latest batch of con devices.

Hope you get it sorted quickly Terry... And really happy you detected this within the paypal complaint period :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Did not get them off ebay but did pay via pp :thumb:Will get onto them this morning especially as I ordered another couple yesterday as soon as I transferred 20 odd GB and tried the first couple of films to make sure they were good :Doh:-Glad I posted on here and got the heads up :thumb:-Wonder if they will send the other two or simply refund and say out of stock ::bigsmile:If it all gos south at least I'll have some 8 GB pens at what I paid for them a couple of yrs ago
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
terry

I recently bought a Samsung 64gb micro sd card at a good price from Amazon. When I checked the size on my Mac, it reported 66Gb! It went back to Amazon for a refund before I even tried to use it.
There are a lot of fake sd and usb storage devices around at the moment.

Look HERE for some pointers
Allan

Don't understand this thread, as above , what's wrong with that one, isn't that bigger than you wanted, and looking on eBay they all seem to be from £12- £30 what am I missing here:Doh::Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
221329481742 eBay is this what you are talking about:Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
SD cards have the same scams, look at this so called 64gb on Amazon, then read the reviews.

Ian

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Opened a case for a refund off PP and no doubt will be opening another when the others arrive ::bigsmile:
terry
Chaser not quite the one but very much the same ilk:thumb:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Interesting Description

Looking at the SD card on that amazon link, it includes the description :

"8gb upgraded to 64gb"

Is that to get round any complaints by saying you received what was described? :Sad:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Did not get them off ebay but did pay via pp :thumb:Will get onto them this morning especially as I ordered another couple yesterday as soon as I transferred 20 odd GB and tried the first couple of films to make sure they were good :Doh:-Glad I posted on here and got the heads up :thumb:-Wonder if they will send the other two or simply refund and say out of stock ::bigsmile:If it all gos south [HI]at least I'll have some 8 GB pens[/HI] at what I paid for them a couple of yrs ago
terry

I wouldn't even trust them at 8GB. They are likely to corrupt or fail unexpectedly due to the way they are created.

Please also note that under distance selling regulations you are entitled to a full refund if you cancel the contract within 7 days. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/made
In the Amazon example given above the "get out" of saying upgraded to 64Gb doesn't get them out of anything as the product will not be fit for purpose nor will it exclude them from distance selling regulations.

Demand a refund under the distance selling regulations as soon as you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No doubt I will be getting my money back - b ut will have to pay return postage--going to escalate them as Fraudulent so may well end up without have to send them back :Smile:
terry
edit found some 64 GB ones for £17 each from a seller who I trust

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back