LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, we are contemplating having an outside shower fitted to our van. We have a Scottie dog who could always do with a hose down. Also thinking it might be good for muddy boots etc.

Should we have just a cold feed one or hot and cold?

If you have one do you use it much? Is it worth it? What do you use yours for?

We've an autosleeper Northants, so far we've spent most nights on cl sites or car parks!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Almost every van I have owned has an outside shower. If it did not have one when I bought it, then I fitted one. I used to be very keen on sea fishing and used the shower for cleaning fish. I also found it useful when I had hair for washing my hair, as there is never enough room in the MH shower rooms. The one that is fitted now is a very simple, but effective idea and it comprises of a sidewall door that the shower hose can be passed through from the inside.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have one on our Apache and have used it for getting the staffies cleaned up when they have been mud diving. Not had a shower myself with it, but I bet it could be great for a hot summer evening.
The shower hose plugs into a union under a small hatch on the side of the body.

Regards,

Trikeman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, trikeman, that's what ours would be like, thought we would have loads of replies saying they are not used much. It would mean cutting another hole in the van which I'm always wary of, I wonder if we could just find some fitting to push onto the kitchen tap and dangle it out the window..

As to wet dog, I saw a doggy bagz at the nec, basically a micro fibre towel with a zip, zip dog into it wet, dog lays down for 30 mins (yeah right!) dog emerges dry and clean. Yours for only £50. I've got as far as buying a towel from Asda for £3 now I just have to get my sewing machine out. We did try putting ruby (our dog) into a microfleece jumper with a sit command, with interesting results.

Thanks for the help:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, we are contemplating having an outside shower fitted to our van. We have a Scottie dog who could always do with a hose down. Also thinking it might be good for muddy boots etc.

Should we have just a cold feed one or hot and cold?

If you have one do you use it much? Is it worth it? What do you use yours for?

We've an autosleeper Northants, so far we've spent most nights on cl sites or car parks!

Cold or cold and hot depends how much you love your Scottie!!!!:roflmto:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We've used the solar powered camperbag showers for years now. Love them, can get a good temperature from them, store them flat if you don't need them for a few days and extremely cheap :thumb: ::bigsmile:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Do these outside showers only work off pressure pumps? I've got a microswitch system on my van, but wanted to fit an external shower, both for the dog and myself!:winky:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have had an outside shower on our last 3 motorhomes and would be without one, great for when we had our Jack Russell, (the Arapaho even had a slide out box we used as a bath for her perfect fit.
We now have an Apache and used the outside shower a lot during the summer.
Hot and cold definitely.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/bullfinch-external-shower-point.html

and explanation

Bullfinch External Shower Point

The Bullfinch External Shower Point comes complete with a Shower head assembly (shower fitting, shower hose and swivel head). It uses the unit’s existing hot and cold water supplies. Inserting the shower assembly, locks it in place and turns on the water. Temperature adjustment by turning the assembly.

Ideal for

• outdoor showers
  • washing articles
  • pets
  • and many other uses
Bullfinch External Shower Point Features:

• complete with shower head assembly and fixing screws
  • good security - no connector, no flow
  • push and turn activation
  • innovative, attractive design
  • high quality for a long reliable life
  • compact
  • lightweight
  • easy to fit - requires 60mm cutter
  • 1.5m long shower hose
  • swivel head with fixed pattern spray with lever control
  • high flow rate

You will need a 60mm cutter to create the orifice.

Inlet connections for hot and cold water - you will need Whale quick connect plumbing system fittings, size 15mm - we recommend Equal elbow item code WX1503(B) or Equal straight WX1504(B) or similar.

We supply 4 fixing screws.

For microswitch activated water systems, you will need to install a switch for the pump for the Shower Point. We suggest an illuminated switch just inside the door to remind the user to switch the pump off when the Shower Point is not being used.

For On demand pressure pumped water systems the Shower Point can be installed as it is, without the need for a electrical switch.
Technical Information for Bullfinch External Shower Point:-

• Working pressure – 10 Bar (max)
  • Working temperature – 85ºC (max)
  • Corrosion-resistant materials suitable for potable water
  • Plastic parts made of high quality materials with long-term UV resistance
  • Total sealing between device and wall of prefabricated structure
  • Total sealing between cap and the connection device
  • Backflow prevention devices at hot and cold water inlets to prevent back syphonage due to negative pressure
  • High quality pressure resistant nozzle with 360º swivel connections at both ends of the hose for greater convenience.
  • Dimensions – 105 x 110 x 90 (deep) mm
  • Weight – 460 gms
  • Inlet connections - suitable for Whale quick connect quick fit plumbing system size 15mm - we recoomend Equal elbow item code WX1503(B) or Equal straight WX1504(B) or similar.
  • Body: - Hot forged brass alloy DZR (dezincification resistant)
  • Ball valve + spout: - Chrome-nickel plated DZR brass
  • Additional brass parts: - DZR Brass
  • Plastic unit, cap and handle: - Polycarbonate reinforced with glass fibre
  • Hinges, springs and screws: - stainless steel
  • Rubber gaskets: - EPDM approved for drinking water according to WRAS
  • Wall gaskets and cap gaskets: - UV and ozone resistant EPDM
  • Ball valve seals: - PTFE
bullfinch_Shower_point.jpg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
On many vans the shower in the bathroom will be close to the small bathroom window, why not poke it out through the window and bingo an outside shower. ::bigsmile:

An outside shower came with our Starseeker but we have never used it - we don't have a dog and bugger standing outside to shower. :winky:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
We put up a toilet tent behind the Van and then bring the shower head through from the rear doors. We then use it as an outside shower, we have more room than the rather cramped Van conversion shower area and we don't wet everything through. The toilet can also be used at the same time.
The tent can be used as a storage area when you go off in the Van.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/bullfinch-external-shower-point.html

and explanation

Bullfinch External Shower Point

The Bullfinch External Shower Point comes complete with a Shower head assembly (shower fitting, shower hose and swivel head). It uses the unit’s existing hot and cold water supplies. Inserting the shower assembly, locks it in place and turns on the water. Temperature adjustment by turning the assembly.

Ideal for

• outdoor showers
  • washing articles
  • pets
  • and many other uses
Bullfinch External Shower Point Features:

• complete with shower head assembly and fixing screws
  • good security - no connector, no flow
  • push and turn activation
  • innovative, attractive design
  • high quality for a long reliable life
  • compact
  • lightweight
  • easy to fit - requires 60mm cutter
  • 1.5m long shower hose
  • swivel head with fixed pattern spray with lever control
  • high flow rate

You will need a 60mm cutter to create the orifice.

Inlet connections for hot and cold water - you will need Whale quick connect plumbing system fittings, size 15mm - we recommend Equal elbow item code WX1503(B) or Equal straight WX1504(B) or similar.

We supply 4 fixing screws.

For microswitch activated water systems, you will need to install a switch for the pump for the Shower Point. We suggest an illuminated switch just inside the door to remind the user to switch the pump off when the Shower Point is not being used.

For On demand pressure pumped water systems the Shower Point can be installed as it is, without the need for a electrical switch.
Technical Information for Bullfinch External Shower Point:-

• Working pressure – 10 Bar (max)
  • Working temperature – 85ºC (max)
  • Corrosion-resistant materials suitable for potable water
  • Plastic parts made of high quality materials with long-term UV resistance
  • Total sealing between device and wall of prefabricated structure
  • Total sealing between cap and the connection device
  • Backflow prevention devices at hot and cold water inlets to prevent back syphonage due to negative pressure
  • High quality pressure resistant nozzle with 360º swivel connections at both ends of the hose for greater convenience.
  • Dimensions – 105 x 110 x 90 (deep) mm
  • Weight – 460 gms
  • Inlet connections - suitable for Whale quick connect quick fit plumbing system size 15mm - we recoomend Equal elbow item code WX1503(B) or Equal straight WX1504(B) or similar.
  • Body: - Hot forged brass alloy DZR (dezincification resistant)
  • Ball valve + spout: - Chrome-nickel plated DZR brass
  • Additional brass parts: - DZR Brass
  • Plastic unit, cap and handle: - Polycarbonate reinforced with glass fibre
  • Hinges, springs and screws: - stainless steel
  • Rubber gaskets: - EPDM approved for drinking water according to WRAS
  • Wall gaskets and cap gaskets: - UV and ozone resistant EPDM
  • Ball valve seals: - PTFE
bullfinch_Shower_point.jpg

Looks a good tidy bit of kit.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have an outside shower (came with the van as standard) but don't use it for anything.

Meg, who loves water as in lakes and rivers, hates shower heads, perhaps because of the hissing noise. For her also the water must be completely cold (found this aversion to warm water with other dogs too)

The best solution I have found is to use my watering can (no rose) as used for topping up water tank, preferably filled from a site tap, as the motorhome cold supply in the winter with the heating on is definitely tepid at best.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Grat for washing sand etc. Off the grandchildren as well as dogs.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
havent got an outside shower on the current van, so we use a pump up garden sprayer (clean) for jobs like cleaning dogs, boots and bugs off the windscreen too

as for showering au naturele, i would hate to spoil somebody's holiday or scare the wildlife:Eeek:

hk49

Free Member
Apr 3, 2021
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile MH
Exp
2021 owned camper van prior
Almost every van I have owned has an outside shower. If it did not have one when I bought it, then I fitted one. I used to be very keen on sea fishing and used the shower for cleaning fish. I also found it useful when I had hair for washing my hair, as there is never enough room in the MH shower rooms. The one that is fitted now is a very simple, but effective idea and it comprises of a sidewall door that the shower hose can be passed through from the inside.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Have an outside shower outlet and a hose and shower head in a locker. Never used it in 10 years, no dog and no wish to shower in the open. Also don't have a clue if it is just cold but assume so as there's no external control

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back