Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there guys anyone on here either got or ever had a demountable which fixes onto the back of a pick-up.if so what are the pluses and the minuses of them please:thumb:
brian jo and josh

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am parked next to my friend demountable at the moment.

I did consider one but I don't think it is suitable for fulltiming.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them.

Pro's.
The vehicle can be used for regular or business use during the week and for camping at the weekends. You can demount at a campsite so you can go whizzing around near where you are staying without the size. It's like the best bits of a motorhome mixed with the best bits of a caravan. Small size and having a vehicle separate for other uses.

Con's
Small fresh water tank. No built in waste tank so not best suited for wild camping. No oven. No lounge area to speak of. Weight and space limited so adding extra batteries etc has to be done carefully. Lots of faffing around on site, demount, drag out waste hog connect pipes etc before cup of coffee can be made. It is faster than I have seen caravanner's set up but no where near as quick as just pulling hand brake on and putting kettle on like I do in MH. It's like the worst bit of a motorhome and a caravan put together. Small size and lots of faffing.

Getting insurance just for demountable is tricky. Most places want you to insure both vehicle and demountable together. Others have no idea what a demountable is.

This is just what comes to mind from watching my friends in their's.
It really suites them and is great for their purposes but they are upgrading from tenting :winky:

As with all leisure vehicles; motorhomes, demountables and caravans they are all compromises in one way or another. It's a case of finding an option that the compromises are tolerable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
thx

hi gromett and thx for the reply.it sounds like your freinds is a 2 berth.i know you can get 4 berth with a seating area and a marine toilet with black tank.but thx for the info and help.:thumb:
brian and jo

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the only reason for buying one would be the off-road abilities of the base vehicle. If all you want to do is drive between campsites and aires in Europe then a more conventional vehicle would probably be better and also probably cheaper given that the internal size of the ones I've seen are a lot smaller than the average panel van so they are equivalent to a mini-MH.

If you want to tour Africa say, then they are ideal.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
hi gromett and thx for the reply.it sounds like your freinds is a 2 berth.i know you can get 4 berth with a seating area and a marine toilet with black tank.but thx for the info and help.:thumb:
brian and jo

That would be a yank demountable then. Not seen a UK one with fixed waste tanks and marine toilet etc....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
That would be a yank demountable then. Not seen a UK one with fixed waste tanks and marine toilet etc....

no it is UK built.Apollo motorhomes near rochdale apparently build them :thumb:
brian

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don't even think about putting a demountable on that beautiful black yank truck you have, Brian.... :whatthe: :cry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sundowners have had one for years. Have been in it and its pretty big.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Don't even think about putting a demountable on that beautiful black yank truck you have, Brian.... :whatthe: :cry:

just trying to decide which way we are gonna next year Mo.looking at a few options.nothing fixed yet mate:thumb:this christmas period can be very unsettleing,thank god i have to work.
brian

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Worth a trip over to Manby Lincolnshire Brian to have a look at Niche Marketing as they sell demounts.

We were seriously considering one a year or so back - even bought the base vehicle but circumstances and a find changed our thoughts.

Certainly you can get a fully loaded American one fairly cheaply in the US and it would not need an IVA to import.

You are right though there are actually a number of UK manufacturers that will build one to your spec and size the prices though appeared quite tall compared with US built ones.

One thing we did not like was the fact that you could not move from the unit to the vehicle without going outside. Not good if you are wild camping and need to move off quickly

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sundowners have had one for years. Have been in it and its pretty big.
Yup, that was a yank one and it was massive. Needed a yank tank to carry it..

no it is UK built.Apollo motorhomes near rochdale apparently build them :thumb:
brian
My friends have a Ranger (also Rochdale) custom built jobby. Same layout as the ones on the Apollo website. I don't see where a decent size waste tank could be fitted. I suppose between the rails the base is built on but that would cause problems of freezing in the winter...

It is sold as a 4 berth and yes you could sleep 4 people in it. But there really isn't enough space to fit 4 people in the thing at the same time without pretty much sitting on each others knees :ROFLMAO:

Best bet is to go look at a few. You are obviously experienced with Motorhoming etc so you know the pratfalls...

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Brian pm Sundowners

Nigel and Pamela have one for their yank pickup and if i remember right it also has a small slideout with the dining area in, which gives more room when parked.
Apollo have been going for years and yes for a price he will build to your spec. He also does them for uk trucks and he will build motorhomes from scratch or at least he used to.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The one type of motorhome I have never owned, I would love to have a play on this course.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7u0c6DwR4"]4x4 camper bimobil Offroad Training - YouTube[/ame]

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Well Jim you will have to speak nicely to a member on here, he might let you check his out but i dont think he has plans on doing that with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back