Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Thinking of getting a driveway awning, are they really any good, are they easy to erect and drive away from or, looking at the secondhand ones on the market many advertise as, 'used only once'. Which sort of suggests they are too much trouble to mess about with! Your experience in this subject will be appreciated.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We have a outdoor revolution Valley Lodge*
Only use it when we stay a few days on site.

Not that much trouble to put up but a bit heavy if you are watching the weight. About 27kg

Yes yo can drive away and leave it.

Mel

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
'used only once'. Which sort of suggests they are too much trouble.

If you want negative, yes they are heavy and a struggle to erect.

But not that bad and they revolutionise the holiday by doubling your space.

Labelling all the poles with colour codes is a good way of putting the frame up quickly.

We bought a drive away and we have never driven away from it. The one time we would have liked to the awning stopped us getting off the pitch. And anyway, before you can drive away there is so much to pack away.

Having a steel framed drive away I do envy those with a curved fibreglass pole design that in non drive away. They do look good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi,
we have a Khyam Motordome Excelsior which is superb, up in minutes with the easy-up system and has withstood some severe weather without a problem and loads of room. You can also sleep four in it too, so handy when the guests turn up or drinky-poos of an evening.
::bigsmile:

Here is a link [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbXT2N1l9c"]Erecting & Attaching a Khyam Motordome Classic Driveaway-Awning - YouTube[/ame]
which shows how easy they are to put up. They pack away with the same ease and are light for the size too. If we want to go away from the pitch we just pull out the 8 strip, zip up and away to go.

Hope it helps.

Trikeman. :winky:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I vote with Trikeman, Kyham dome absolutely brilliant. Had mine 5 years now and no problems.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi,
we have a Khyam Motordome Excelsior which is superb, up in minutes with the easy-up system and has withstood some severe weather without a problem and loads of room. You can also sleep four in it too, so handy when the guests turn up or drinky-poos of an evening.
::bigsmile:

Here is a link Erecting & Attaching a Khyam Motordome Classic Driveaway-Awning - YouTube
which shows how easy they are to put up. They pack away with the same ease and are light for the size too. If we want to go away from the pitch we just pull out the 8 strip, zip up and away to go.

Hope it helps.

Not a job for when it's raining then......:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have put up our khyam in pouring rain before. you get quicker with experience and i recon 2 minute from taking it out of the bag to up and connected.

tried other driveaways over the years with pole frames and they are just too much trouble. with the khyam attached to the edge of the fiamma canopy it takes a few seconds to detach and drive off.

second hand ones are sometimes hard to find unlike others and make sure to buy the model appropriate to the height of your van door

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Volusia,
here is a photo of the Khyam Motordome Excelsior on our MoHo. As Big1 recommends there are two versions of most of the Khyam range and the differences are to do with the size/height of the 'tunnel' between the awning and the MoHo door/rail height. The Khyam website gives a plan to determine which size tunnel will fit yours.
As you can see from the photo (though I hadn't tensioned the tunnel at that point) you are doubling your room - we spend most of our time in the awning. I'm not as quick as Big1 putting ours up but we have never failed to be inside and cosy in more than 5 mins from taking out of the bag.
Hope it helps.

Regards,

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Thank you very much for that detailed info. It looks as though a little shopping is in order:winky:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thinking of getting a driveway awning, are they really any good, are they easy to erect and drive away from or, looking at the secondhand ones on the market many advertise as, 'used only once'. Which sort of suggests they are too much trouble to mess about with! Your experience in this subject will be appreciated.

Not an answer to your post but would like to add, we had an awning on our old van , not drive away just the one on the side , like the one you have now, only had it out once, we have same on our current van and it's never been out at all, never stop in one place long enough to bother with it.::bigsmile:

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Air Awning

I have tried 2 types of drive away before and have never driven away ! Good for expanding living space,poor for weight,storage and time consuming to erect.
Now own a Kampa blow up awning.No poles,much lighter than others (stores away in the overcab locker) and erects in minutes . At the last campsite in Spain there where 4 other vans with the same awning so it seems to be popular.
Mine is a 3.9 mtr which attaches into the rail of the wind out canopy awning and always gets a audience when blowing up or deflating .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back