Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The latest version of the very best around can be found Link Removed be one of the first to get it. They are going for a Guiness world record for the most downloads in a day. Download it today and you could be a record breaker.:Smile:

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I downloaded this yesterday and have found a flaw in it already.

If you have the latest AVG version 8 then Mozilla have forgotten to get the AVG addon running properly on it.

Now I am a fan of Firefox but you should also be aware that the current version, at the time of posting, is not the final version but a public testing one.

Roger

K

klaatu

Deleted User
Now I am a fan of Firefox but you should also be aware that the current version, at the time of posting, is not the final version but a public testing one.

Roger

They were having a lot of problems with their servers since "download day" started, so maybe what you saw was an old page? The version currently available from the official sites is definitely the final release version of 3.0.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
It's definitely version 3, the site was extremely busy and I certainly don't seem to have AVG problems.

Its fast, it's free, it's GREAT and it runs like a sports car......very slick!!! Infinitely better than Explorer.........:thumb:

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi,
I have tried versions 2 and 3 and both prevent me from opening masses of my stored files properly. i.e. text appears but images do not. There does not appear to be a way round this, firefox is either blocking safe files or is causing a situation where files are simply being prevented from being recognised. I have had to uninstall both versions to enable proper access to my files.
Wilbury

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Agreed. Whats so good about FireFox when compared to IE 7 ?

Hi,
As far as I am concerned Firefox just did not work, but all of the pundits recon it is far more secure than IE
Wilbury

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Those who attack Firefox without using it or trying it properly have had a great brainwashing by Gates and co - IE7 is certainly not the be-all and end-all of browsers although Gates would love everyone to think so!

Firefox has excellent features, is really slick to use, and integrates so well with third party apps. There are also so many add-ons for it which expand its use even further. Don't knock what you don't know!! As for inventing / reinventing the wheel, well IE7 certainly isn't the wheel, nor were any of its previous incarnations, and its fantastic to have a CHOICE of software which works ACROSS PLATFORMS and not be completely tied up and attached to Microsoft - there is life beyond Microsoft, really!!!

FIREFOX ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Laurie I use IE7 to browse the web, about the only components I use are Tabs, and the Google toolbar, I have used Firefox 2 & 3 but for a basic user like myself it offers no advantages.

By the way the day I think any browser "ROCKS" I will go and see those men/women in their white coats. Now Vincent, Norton, BSA, AJS, Matchless, Aerial, Triumph etc. they "ROCK" an old Rocker. ::bigsmile:

Olley

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
By the way the day I think any browser "ROCKS" I will go and see those men/women in their white coats. Now Vincent, Norton, BSA, AJS, Matchless, Aerial, Triumph etc. they "ROCK" an old Rocker. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Hi Ian, I AM one of those in their white coats if you remember!!! I suppose Firefox rocks for anyone (me included!!) interested in PSK31, RTTY, APRS, FSTV and EME (moonbounce)...........:Eeek::ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Laurie

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Ian, I AM one of those in their white coats if you remember!!! I suppose Firefox rocks for anyone (me included!!) interested in PSK31, RTTY, APRS, FSTV and EME (moonbounce)...........:Eeek::ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Laurie
Hi Laurie,
I've tried a number of different browsers but tend to use IE7. So far I've personally not found a compelling reason to use anything else. I'm not sure why your radio specific apps, protocols etc should be specific to Firefox but if it is - Great. You've found your compelling reason. I didn't see anyone attack Firefox or even criticise it.

I simply don't understand why the opponents to Microsoft are so forceful in their opinions. Does it matter if we use IE or Firefox, Linux or Windows or Mac? Office or OpenOffice? By all means offer reasoned arguements for choosing a particular product but let's leave the more personal attacks out shall we? Just because we choose to use MS products doesn't mean we're brainwashed or brain dead.

Regards
Doug

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Laurie,
I've tried a number of different browsers but tend to use IE7. So far I've personally not found a compelling reason to use anything else. I'm not sure why your radio specific apps, protocols etc should be specific to Firefox but if it is - Great. You've found your compelling reason. I didn't see anyone attack Firefox or even criticise it.

I simply don't understand why the opponents to Microsoft are so forceful in their opinions. Does it matter if we use IE or Firefox, Linux or Windows or Mac? Office or OpenOffice? By all means offer reasoned arguements for choosing a particular product but let's leave the more personal attacks out shall we? Just because we choose to use MS products doesn't mean we're brainwashed or brain dead.

Regards
Doug

What "personal attacks" are we referring to perhaps??? Yours on me??? I wasn't aware of any "personal attacks", just a tongue-in-cheek few posts about browsers et al!! So let's leave the assumptions out, shall we???
There never was a "personal attack" (except for yours on me) , and your longstanding obvious dislike of me (although we've never met) was made patently obvious (again).

By all means stay married to Microsoft, I wasn't aware there was a law against it. As for being braindead, speak for yourself - I certainly didn't mention you or accuse you of such, although you seem to imply I did. Nor did I tell anyone else they were brain dead. Many thousands of people have been convinced that there is no computer life beyond Microsoft. Call that what you will.
We all have the right to use whatever software we please, and we have the right to voice an opinion!!

What was just a light-hearted few posts, in which you took absolutely no part until the attack on me, you have turned into a finger-pointing session and an opportunity to have a pop at me. This is meant to be a FUN site remember!!!

Leave the personal disparaging remarks out of it, and if you wish to continue your verbal attacks on me, take it to PM or speak to me face to face at a Rally / Meet someday.

Laurie

R

reader

Deleted User
Firefox 3 has been released too early, there are far too many issues with it yet, even Minefield (its next release - on nightly downloads) still has problems
look at:

Link Removed

For those of you who are still on Firefox 2 stick with it a few more weeks until these snags have been resolved

For those who still use IE7 (or even IE8 which is on beta, and full of snags still) Firefox offers a lot more customisation of what "you" want and not what microsoft think you want. It is also faster than either IE7 or IE8, That said though Opera is faster than Firefox.

With some pages using IE7/8 is like waiting for the cows to come home when compared with other browsers

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
Those who attack Firefox without using it or trying it properly have had a great brainwashing by Gates and co - IE7 is certainly not the be-all and end-all of browsers although Gates would love everyone to think so!

Firefox has excellent features, is really slick to use, and integrates so well with third party apps. There are also so many add-ons for it which expand its use even further. Don't knock what you don't know!! As for inventing / reinventing the wheel, well IE7 certainly isn't the wheel, nor were any of its previous incarnations, and its fantastic to have a CHOICE of software which works ACROSS PLATFORMS and not be completely tied up and attached to Microsoft - there is life beyond Microsoft, really!!!

FIREFOX ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

ALl very interesting, but for us Windows users is there any point? What's it do that IE7 can't do.. and more to the point, whats it NOT do that IE7 can do. I would be happy to change to FireFox if I thought there was any point.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys, I think you are all taking this a bit tooooooooo serious, I have had this light hearted banter with Laurie before, and that's what it is, just a bit of fun.

If we are going to fall out over a Browser, then maybe we all ought to see those men in the white coats. I have already seen them a few times, especially after I contemplated fitting LPG tanks on the roof. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
What "personal attacks" are we referring to perhaps??? Yours on me??? I wasn't aware of any "personal attacks", just a tongue-in-cheek few posts about browsers et al!! So let's leave the assumptions out, shall we???
There never was a "personal attack" (except for yours on me) , and your longstanding obvious dislike of me (although we've never met) was made patently obvious (again).
First of all, I don't dislike you. I've never met you and I've always felt that you can't know someone from their postings. Maybe we'll meet at a show and you'll find I'm an even minded individual.
By personal attacks I meant posting #10 where you describe IE users as being brain washed. You're attacking the people who made the decision and not the product. There is absolutely nothing in my post attacking you. Read it again and you'll see I endorsed your decision to go with Firefox and not use IE.
By all means stay married to Microsoft, I wasn't aware there was a law against it. As for being braindead, speak for yourself - I certainly didn't mention you or accuse you of such, although you seem to imply I did. Nor did I tell anyone else they were brain dead. Many thousands of people have been convinced that there is no computer life beyond Microsoft. Call that what you will.
I'm not married to Microsoft, I use a number of different products both personally and professionally, They all have their place. I'm not going to criticise anyone for making a different choice. If anyone asks advice, I'll give it freely and impartially. I admit I read the part as "knocking what you don't know" as being brain-dead.
We all have the right to use whatever software we please, and we have the right to voice an opinion!!
Isn't that my point? I and others are saying we've free choice. You, on the other hand, say we're brainwashed if we don't accept your opinion.
What was just a light-hearted few posts, in which you took absolutely no part until the attack on me, you have turned into a finger-pointing session and an opportunity to have a pop at me. This is meant to be a FUN site remember!!!
Leave the personal disparaging remarks out of it, and if you wish to continue your verbal attacks on me, take it to PM or speak to me face to face at a Rally / Meet someday.

Laurie
Up until the point you started describing MS users as brain-washed I'd not seen anything I could add that wasn't already being said. The advice was cogent and sensible, yes, your's as well. Re-read the thread and you'll see it was you criticised Olley, Euro and Wilbury.

I simply don't understand the attitude that everything Microsoft does is bad. Anything else is good.

Doug

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Guys, I think you are all taking this a bit tooooooooo serious, I have had this light hearted banter with Laurie before, and that's what it is, just a bit of fun.

If we are going to fall out over a Browser, then maybe we all ought to see those men in the white coats. I have already seen them a few times, especially after I contemplated fitting LPG tanks on the roof. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Hi Olley,
Quite right and thanks for the reminder!

Regards
Doug
"Born to be mild"

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Olley

Thanks Olley, I'm sure you're quite able to protect yourself against my "personal attacks" :ROFLMAO: Who would ever have thought I'd become the victim of a seemingly senseless attack myself after we were all having a bit of fun :RollEyes:

As for all these apparent "attacks" on umpteen others for their software likes and dislikes.......:Eeek: They simply don't exist!

Brace yourself for further "attacks" from me !!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Laurie

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
First of all, I don't dislike you. I've never met you and I've always felt that you can't know someone from their postings. Maybe we'll meet at a show and you'll find I'm an even minded individual.
By personal attacks I meant posting #10 where you describe IE users as being brain washed. You're attacking the people who made the decision and not the product. There is absolutely nothing in my post attacking you. Read it again and you'll see I endorsed your decision to go with Firefox and not use IE.

I'm not married to Microsoft, I use a number of different products both personally and professionally, They all have their place. I'm not going to criticise anyone for making a different choice. If anyone asks advice, I'll give it freely and impartially. I admit I read the part as "knocking what you don't know" as being brain-dead.

Isn't that my point? I and others are saying we've free choice. You, on the other hand, say we're brainwashed if we don't accept your opinion.

Up until the point you started describing MS users as brain-washed I'd not seen anything I could add that wasn't already being said. The advice was cogent and sensible, yes, your's as well. Re-read the thread and you'll see it was you criticised Olley, Euro and Wilbury.

I simply don't understand the attitude that everything Microsoft does is bad. Anything else is good.

Doug

I most certainly did NOT attack anyone. Nor did I describe anyone as "braindead". Knocking something you know nothing about is not braindead, I'd describe it as uninformed -The term "Braindead" was used by you and you alone.

I most certainly did NOT "criticise" Olley and the others, a bit of light-hearted banter is not the huge issue you have made of it and does not justify your personal attack on me. I have also never said that " everything Microsoft does is bad and anything else is good" - again, you have inserted your own incorrect assumptions where no such thing was said. The power that Microsoft has exerted on computer users the world over is obvious - as well as all the anti-trust / anti-competition behaviour and manipulation of the world market, fuelled by greed. Many feel compelled to use only their products due to clever marketing and veiled threats of data losses and catastrophe if they don't.
On the other hand, almost every PC in the world depends on Microsoft in one way or another. People have choices - I am entitled to give opinions on issues within my experience and expertise, just as everyone else has too. :Eeek:

This is meant to be a FUN site where we can exchange banter etc without fear of attack. Yours was the only personal attack in this thread - on me. Even when Olley had posted that there was no "attack" on him, you still posted your diatribe justifying your attack on me.

I propose that this negative situation end now. Making assumptions is a risky thing to do if you attack someone on an open forum. Obviously we can't discuss our choice of browsers as this seems to strike a raw nerve, so Olley, Euro, Wilbury, American Dream - we'll have to take the battle of the browsers to PM lest we upset people :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Steve: Opera indeed!!!!How very dare you!!!!)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think this thread has run its course, if any parties wish to discuss this further please use the private messaging system::bigsmile:

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back