Would you lend out your van?? (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We had plans to use our pride and joy van over the new year on Pauls do.

After much family peer pressure, and a few fall outs, I have lent van to sister in law to live in whilst she and her family clean up after the family home was flooded over Xams in Fetcham, Surrey.

I have done this only after being battered by the rest of the in laws.

The van is my pride and joy, which I have worked bloody hard for over the years and I feel very possessive and protective over it. I don't think I was being unreasonable when I initially said No to the request. They have more money than I ever will have, and they could easily go out and buy a caravan to make do.

Would anybody else lend out their pride and joy, or was I being unreasonable?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If a family member was flooded out of their home? Why did they have to even ask to borrow it?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
No
If they have insurance that will pay accommodation
If they dont tough

Mel

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I agree with you I wouldn't let anyone use our MH. Have upset people in the past for not letting them use our boat. We worked hard for what we've got.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
That is what you have home insurance for so they should use that to get them somewhere to live maybe you need some of these
Growacet_zpsa221a719.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
NO. They would all know better than to ask.

I might however let them stay in it at my house on an extreme emergency basis.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Highly contentious issue.

I lean towards no for all the above reasons. And, like you and many others, am highly attached towards my motorhome and have refused requests to let others use it for pleasure.

Then again, a family member.... I think the way you have been cajoled into this is wrong. And your reasoning is correct.

But I'd feel bad not offering but would do so under sufferance as you know it's highly likely they wouldn't treat your van with the same care as you would.

You may wish to ask they have sufficient insurance to cover your van as your insurance may be invalid if you lend it to others. It may get them to think twice, but you'd be quite right to point out the 'facts'.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I hate the idea of anyone using my van but if my Sisters house flooded I wouldn't even think about it.

The van would be with her as quick as I could get it to her for as long as she needed it.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
No and no again

Link Removed

Not a chance - Buy them a caravan and put it in their garden. :thumb::thumb:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
For one the insurance company would be chuffed and actively encourage it. They would for sure take longer to get back into thier own place as the 'friends and family' lodging allowance would be pittance compared to hotel bills. They will be the last family back in thier home - trust me as I've done similar.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
No way would we 'lend out' the van, we would however, make the east wing available...:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
No way,,,,not if it meant I missed the new year bash.....

And the opportunity to wear spandex trousers :cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Living in a motorhome takes a while to get used to being stressed over the flooding is not conducive to looking after your pride and joy so my answer is no come live in my house and I'll live in the van, simple.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Insurance payouts

For one the insurance company would be chuffed and actively encourage it. They would for sure take longer to get back into thier own place as the 'friends and family' lodging allowance would be pittance compared to hotel bills. They will be the last family back in thier home - trust me as I've done similar.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

A quick look at Zurich insurance policy document:

Alternative accommodation

if
your
home is not fi t to live in following
loss or damage covered by this
part
we
will pay:
• the reasonable cost of similar alternative accommodation for
you
and
your
pets;
• ground rent which
you
have to pay;
• rent which should have been paid to
you
This will apply during the time needed to restore
your
home to a condition
which is fi t to live in.
The most
we
will pay is £25,000

I agree I bet they will be happy to pay less :thumb:

And I also agree the less their on-going costs are the slower they will proceed. :Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, I wouldn't let them lend the van I'm afraid ... insurance will sort out accommodation for them which will be much more 'practical' for them as they won't be used to the nuances of living in a motorhome. The only thing I would do is allow them to sleep in it if necessary as an initial overnight emergency assuming we didn't have sufficient beds for them at our place.

However as you've already lent her it you need to think about YOUR position. The insurance issue (ie your MH's) is an interesting one and I suggest you get on the phone to your provider immediately and get your sister in law on the policy NOW and make sure she has fully cover for it whilst she's in it! Also, she needs to know that if there is ANY damaged she will be fully responsible for paying for it to be rectified. Hopefully if we get a load of cold weather they'll be more than happy to move out into rented accommodation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why don't you do something more 'pro-active' for them too ... such as trying to find them some alternative accommodation (something nice!) ... they can hardly throw your kindness/your going to this effort for them in your face can then. :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Offering your van would be an instinctive reaction to help family, however if they are insured they should be covered for such eventualities, and in doing so would probably actually be more of a hindrance than a help to them in the long term.

Now as you had plans to go away, they could possibly use your house for a few days, until the insurance company sorts out proper accommodation for them for the expected duration of the clean up and repair.

If folk are not used to "how to live" in a motorhome they can find it a bit difficult especially at first.

I would try to get them in a hotel or other accommodation, where they have more space and unlimited heating, hot water, waste and toilet facilities. That's what the Insurance is for.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i would agree with most and its an insurance issue, its a copout by the rest of the family.

the insurance wont pay up if your van is damaged accidentally while they are living in it

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The best place for these poor people is in a £600 a week hotel phoning the 'loss adjusters' every day from your feet up, arm chair asking - is it ready yet?

They will thank you for the advice.

Trikeman.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Living in a motorhome takes a while to get used to being stressed over the flooding is not conducive to looking after your pride and joy so my answer is no come live in my house and I'll live in the van, simple.

Same here.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'd imagine that your relatives don't have insurance... If they live in a flood risk area... I can't imagine your insurance would cover them living in the van. I can't imagine they would insure it to park it on their property. Also what if there's another flood and your van gets caught up in it.? Maybe then they will ask you to buy them a caravan...
There's no way i would let any of my relatives have our van for more than a couple of emergency days... (when I would probably be there too).. A cheap caravan sounds an excellent solution.
I feel for you here..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would.

My family know the consequences of pissing me off so I don't think they would do it.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back