lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I don't normally plan this far in advance but as this year could be our last family holiday (Sophie is already saving for Ibiza with her friends the following year) I thought I better put some thought into it.

I have a month off this summer or I will have when I book it, I have asked Lorraine and Sophie where they fancy going and they quite fancy the south of France. We have done a good bit of France and love it just never got this far south before.

Now for my question can anyone recommend an Aire and campsites in the Nice area don't mind if its a few miles away as long as we can cycle walk or get transport.

Please feel free to give advice on routes and stopovers, I have priced going from Newcastle and Hull both coming in at £580 return, so have to way this up against cost of fuel and if I want to drive as far this side. I have also priced just for homeward journey to these ports and it works out about £290 so might go via tunnel and return via one of these ports as I don't mind the drive down I just don't like the one home.

Thanks in advance

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It's worth remembering that if you cross from Hull you'll still have as far to travel once you're on the other side. That is, it's about the same distance from Hull to Dover as it is from Zeebrugge to Calais so you've still got the mileage and all the costs that entails on top of the high ferry price. Plus you've not saved any time.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hm good luck on your choice of getting out of the UK ..
We stayed here last year and it's pretty gorgeous In the hills behind Nice in an old olive grove. They don't have many big pitches so make sure they know your correct length on booking.
http://www.campinglafermeriola.com/uk.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I might be a bit jaundiced but I don't really like Nice, it is very well known so everyone goes there. Too touristy for me but there is a good train service along the south coast, I've been from Avignon to Nice twice after cycling trips in the area and this is probably one of the best ways to get to Nice. Can't recommend a camp site as we did B&B but it really depends when you want to go - July and August will be very hot and very crowded. Inland will be cooler in the mountains not far from Nice but of course no sea.:Sad:

I've been eaten to death by mozzies in the Camargue so can't recommend there either!

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If it's going to be in the school holidays , just bear in mind that the South of France in that area is very busy - in fact it's completely full.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
As Chris says.

I have only had one holiday in the MH that I really really did not enjoy....that was the suh of France in school holidays. Way way to busy for me most of it was like Blackpool on a hot day.
Campsites we went to were booked, aires were non existent campsites warning us not to leave washing out with any designer clothes due to theft.

Not for me thanks....

However, having been travelling to France for some 25 years, with the kids too, one of the best times we had was in the Nice Monaco area out of school season. It's a lovely place, just best avoided in the school holidays. :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We are just sitting here with my son enjoying some breakfast and planing just that. He returns to the New York in the New Year so we are deciding when we are going to visit him there. June is looking promising. :thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It's worth remembering that if you cross from Hull you'll still have as far to travel once you're on the other side. That is, it's about the same distance from Hull to Dover as it is from Zeebrugge to Calais so you've still got the mileage and all the costs that entails on top of the high ferry price. Plus you've not saved any time.

Hi thanks for the reply, I wouldn't be driving from Zeebrugge to Calais as there would be no need to go that way. I have checked the mileage online for non toll roads.

Zeebrugge -Nice. 780
Amsterdam - Nice 825
Calais - Nice 770

So in real terms the shortish route is Newcastle to Amsterdam, as Newcastle is only 75 miles from me. Hull is about the 200mile mark and Dover about 440 mile.
I know financially it will be cheaper to go via Dover but I am on holiday so a few extra pound won't do any harm.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replies, it will have to be during school holidays unfortunelty but on the plus side it will be the Scottish ones as we are planning on leaving around the 10th of July so not quite as busy and no English lager louts :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It doesn't have to be Nice just somewhere along the coast or even inland with transport.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Gerry have you considered Holland? Lovely countryside plenty of aires and campsites. Friesland and the north are great. The south (Limburg) is very beautiful undulating countryside. English spoken by almost all. Mozzies are less frequent. Germany, Luxemburg and Belgium all within striking distance. Also all not loads miles from Newcastle or Hull.

Alternatively get a job down in the south of England and then you will save a few bob - as you canny Scots would walk a mile to save an tanner (2.5p in case you need to ask yer dar)
:ROFLMAO:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995

Hull to Dover is 454km

Zebrugge to Calais is 130 km

Mel

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are just sitting here with my son enjoying some breakfast and planing just that. He returns to the New York in the New Year so we are deciding when we are going to visit him there. June is looking promising. :thumb:
Our daughter lives just over the River Hudson in New Jersey. June and July get VERY hot and humid out there. Stagger from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned Mall and back again! We prefer August and September.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry have you considered Holland? Lovely countryside plenty of aires and campsites. Friesland and the north are great. The south (Limburg) is very beautiful undulating countryside. English spoken by almost all. Mozzies are less frequent. Germany, Luxemburg and Belgium all within striking distance. Also all not loads miles from Newcastle or Hull.

Alternatively get a job down in the south of England and then you will save a few bob - as you canny Scots would walk a mile to save an tanner (2.5p in case you need to ask yer dar)
:ROFLMAO:

Hi Ken personally I would love to do Scandinavia but the ladies prefer a sunshine holiday for our summer holiday. We have done parts of holland Luxemburg and Germany over the past few years and really enjoyed them.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi thanks for the reply, I wouldn't be driving from Zeebrugge to Calais as there would be no need to go that way. I have checked the mileage online for non toll roads.

Zeebrugge -Nice. 780
Amsterdam - Nice 825
Calais - Nice 770

So in real terms the shortish route is Newcastle to Amsterdam, as Newcastle is only 75 miles from me. Hull is about the 200mile mark and Dover about 440 mile.
I know financially it will be cheaper to go via Dover but I am on holiday [HI]so a few extra pound won't do any harm.[/HI]

Careful Gerry, thems not the words of a canny Scots bloke:winky:

Has someone hacked your MHF account?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In the absence for now of any specific recommendations for sites I had a quick look in a guide book and the Alan Rogers book and somewhere around Antibes/St Juan les Pins would be near a beach and close to the railway which will take you east to Nice and Monaco or west towards Marseille. Campsites won't be cheap I fear, could be 30 Euros a night and booking more or less essential if you plan to stay into August.. There are of course Aires but I would expect them to be packed but perhaps there are some out of the way ones someone knows about.

Inland there is dramatic scenery, for example I've cycled the Gorge de Verdon and it is striking. At the west end there is the Lac St Croix which has a campsite or two and swimming and boating in the lake.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
In the absence for now of any specific recommendations for sites I had a quick look in a guide book and the Alan Rogers book and somewhere around Antibes/St Juan les Pins would be near a beach and close to the railway which will take you east to Nice and Monaco or west towards Marseille. Campsites won't be cheap I fear, could be 30 Euros a night and booking more or less essential if you plan to stay into August.. There are of course Aires but I would expect them to be packed but perhaps there are some out of the way ones someone knows about.

Inland there is dramatic scenery, for example I've cycled the Gorge de Verdon and it is striking. At the west end there is the Lac St Croix which has a campsite or two and swimming and boating in the lake.

Thanks for taking the time to look at some sites and the areas you suggest would be fine, we have looked at a few sites along the coast and they range from €35 to over €60 which I half expected as it is the high season so if I find a nice site for around the €30 mark that would be a bonus.

I have found a few so far that are all outside Nice with good public transport so that would be ideal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back