Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Merry Christmas!

I've got possibly a dumb question about Stelplatz so please excuse my ignorance as we're new to this but keen to find out.

Anyway, we received a copy of Bordatlas 2014 for Chrismas as hopefully we'll be touring Germany next year and I notice there's a phone number or web address for all stellplatz including the roadside ones. Now my question, is it considered good practice to ring ahead or just turn up to a Stelplatz? I guess in summer months for the popular tourist areas it might be worth a call but what's the general consensus. Any tips appreciated.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We always just turn up. Never have been turned away, even in peak season.

No fun in booking!!!::bigsmile:

ian and mel

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
pontefract
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1980
stilplatz

we never book, but if the stelplatz is in a busy area we arrive early in the day. enjoy germany , iits fab:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some people do book in as when we were in Cologne recently a lot of the pitches were Reserved, still plenty of space for us though but it was November.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Same here Chipster, ie, we just turn up.

Some folks do book ahead, eg, if attending German Christmas markets, ie, Reisemobile Hafen in Cologne, but we've not done those yet.

Cheers,

Jock.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We just turn up. Many of those numbers would just be for information purposes and you would not be able to reserve anyway. First come first served is generally the case. We find that many Germans get up promptly and move on to wherever they want to be for the night in the morning. So in busy places and at busy times (Fri / Sat) it can be good to follow suit and aim to be parked around 11ish. We have occasionally been unable to find a spot at a specific stellplatz but found another. Great system! :Smile: Jane

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi, we used these this year in August and September going from Belgium down along part of the Rhine and into the Moselle River Area (I know -u can spell it various ways). There was only one stelplatz that was near full, we book nothing, only our return crossing.
I think the usual usage suggestion applies - if it's busy or you don't like it, move on, there are plenty more. The only thing that might be a problem, depending on whether you need it or not, we found that there were not always sufficient electric points to cover the amount of spaces on site, so if you want to hook-up, it might be worthwhile turning up as early as you can.
Regards

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped...........The only thing that might be a problem, depending on whether you need it or not, we found that there were not always sufficient electric points to cover the amount of spaces on site, so if you want to hook-up, it might be worthwhile turning up as early as you can.
Or carry a doubler, and piggy back/share someone else's EHU. :winky:

A Frenchman's eyes lit up at Honfluer, when we turned up with 2 x EHU leads, and a doubler. He was plugged into the box, but his lead wasn't long enough to reach his MH. I agreed to help, if he shared the leccie with us. :winky: He couldn't speak english, and I couldn't speak french. Job done though. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Chipster

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
So would someone usually come round and collect any fees due?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
So would someone usually come round and collect any fees due?

Sometimes they are free, sometimes there is a machine, sometimes someone comes round, sometimes you follow a sign to pay at a shop or the vineyard etc and sometimes there is an honesty box ::bigsmile: Jane
P.S. Remember the thanks button :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back