Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
News in the papers today say prepare for blackouts at home in the future.
Those of us with a motorhome in the drive with a couple of fully charged batteries and a solar panel and plenty of gas may well be able to seek sanctuary
for a few hours/days with all mod cons.heating/cooking/tv etc.

But I would think we might have a few generator experts here.....so what are the options for a generator that would keep the home going..something for a domestic house. ( if thats not asking too much ) certainly keeping the freezers going..providing lights and enough for a tv and basic comfort.

We cook with gas.......so that wouldnt be a prob......given Im not an expert at electrics ....what are your thoughts ?

barry:Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 2.2kw 4 stroke genny cost around ÂŁ120 from Makro.
In the event of a power cut , switch off main breaker and feed genny into 13a socket, enough power to run some lights , heating pump and fridge freezers etc. :thumb:we had a cut during last years Christmas holiday and were the only house in the street with our lights on ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do I take it that its a debatable thing to do ?
barry

In the way described it's so dangerous no-one in their right mind would do it.

Basically it means a mains lead with a plug at each end. Quite lethal.

Then it relies on turning the right switch off. If the mains came on and the main breaker had not been turned off there would be a quite a bang.

If the mains is off due to cable faults there are other safety issues.

A safe option, is an extension lead with multi socket, just unplug from mains and plug into generator.

Papajohn is the resident expert, ask him.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Living where we do we get quite a few power cuts. The genny is a godsend. One particularly long blackout lasted about 30 hours we just moved into the van (it was an RV) All the comforts of home, heat, light,TV, internet. In fact why do we own houses::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Years ago we used to suffer power cuts all the time, to the point that I purchased two very large generators for my workplace. All we did at home was go into the caravan, now motorhome. I can't honestly remember when we last had a power cut though.

Rgds
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres nothing wrong with having a backup generator, just never connect it to a household ring main or fuseboard. if you do any injuries and fatalities will be your fault. potential easily for a manslaughter case

i am not going to lecture on how to connect a generator into a supply correctly but will just say that the circuit breakers in a modern domestic circuit would not protect you if you just plug into a socket. never start a generator with load attached or it will cause expensive damage. [HI]never ever put a bare plug at either end of a flex[/HI]

simple answer as already pointed out is to run an extension lead from the generator and plug appliances into that. not exceeding the maximum current of the cable used or the generator

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Then it relies on turning the right switch off. If the mains came on and the main breaker had not been turned off there would be a quite a bang.

A safe option, is an extension lead with multi socket, just unplug from mains and plug into generator.

It IS dangerous if a mistake is made: It is not dangerous if care is taken and it is the only simple way to ensure that CH pump & boiler would continue to work.

As suggested there are two aspects to this method that could present a danger: the most obvious is that with the generator running its output (mains voltage) is presented on the pins of the plug that you use to connect it to a convenient socket. Notices attached to the plug & genny would be sufficient to remind you not to insert, or remove, the plug until the genny is stopped; the second is the possibility you fail to disconnect the incoming mains supply at the main breaker and it comes back on with the genny still connected & running. This is an unlikely scenario because if you don't disconnect the incoming mains (which isn't there at the moment anyway) your generator will attempt to power any other houses, street lights, etc, that are on the same supply. The genny will warn you of this by grumbling somewhat. Again a reminder could be attached to the genny to switch off the main breaker before starting.

I have some experience of this as during the '70s miners strikes I was a member of a team of engineers attempting to keep telephone exchanges running when the power cuts were occurring. The method we had to use was exactly that described.

In short if care is taken at the time of connection it is a viable procedure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Brian said....very dangerous having an extension lead with a plug both ends.
only takes a lapse of concentration and pull the plug in the house with the generator still running....but you would only do it once.

you may need to check from time to time that the power has been restored and to do that you MUST unplug the generator....no good just turning it off, it will still go bang...before turning the main switch back on.

there is a very safe way though

make a lead with a hookup type PLUG on one end and a 3 pin plug on the other....this will plug into a 'hard to reach' house socket AFTER the fusebox MAIN SWITCH has been turned off.
next use your hookup lead to connect the generator to the made up lead in the house.

if its a hard to reach socket you will have to think about unplugging it....not just walk up and unplug.

the hookup socket.....it has no visible pins, so if it is unplugged with the generator running you cant touch any live parts.

the flying lead europlug in the wall socket does have exposed pins but as the main switch is turned off they cant be live....even if the mains supply is restored.
great care should be taken regardless of how its done.

bear in mind you may only have around 10amps to play with so also turn off the breakers for any heavy loads...cooker, shower etc...and dont try boiling a domestic kettle, it will overload the generator.

in my case, all the above is immaterial as I have a hookup socket on the house socket circuit so I can simply plug in my hookup lead at both ends....after turning off the main switch of course.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the info but its a bit complicated for me:roflmto:

I just pass a 4 gang extension through the window. Router, TV and laptop powered and that will do. Fridge/Freezer if it going to be a long one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the info but its a bit complicated for me:roflmto:

I just pass a 4 gang extension through the window. Router, TV and laptop powered and that will do. Fridge/Freezer if it going to be a long one.

definately the safest option Jim....but then you wander round the house by torchlight after dark.
and as we all know, power cuts only happen at night :roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Provided the main breaker at the fuse box is off the link is broken and power back on cannot get through and if cable is plugged into 13a socket before plugging into genny then no problem.
As is always the case care has to be taken !

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Years ago we used to suffer power cuts all the time, to the point that I purchased two very large generators for my workplace. All we did at home was go into the caravan, now motorhome. I can't honestly remember when we last had a power cut though.

Rgds
Bill

We had a power cut a couple of weeks ago so we retired to the 'van to cook supper. After a couple of hours we saw the power come back on but by then we were warm and snug so we stayed in the van!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We never get power cuts down here.

I think the Electric companies realise how vital the South East is to the country and target their resources so that we continue to subsidise everything north of Watford:thumb:::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

in my case, all the above is immaterial as I have a hookup socket on the house socket circuit so I can simply plug in my hookup lead at both ends....after turning off the main switch of course.

:thumb: SNAP

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The reality is that today's generation have forgotten how to manage in times of harsh circumstances.

I remember powercuts when we were children, everyone managed. We had battery powered lights and candles. Dinner was cooked either over the coal fire or on the camping gas cookers.

I believe there was a baby boom about 9 months later :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Now we know why the government are working so hard to prevent the power cuts

they wont be able to afford the child benefit etc in 9 months time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

actuallly not as funny as it sounds :cry::cry::cry:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Do I take it that its a debatable thing to do ?

barry

There's nothing to debate - it's dangerous, and could land the person in Court.
To go to the basics:
- The person is backfeeding their electrical installation downstream of any protective devices.
- If the main isolator isn't opened, they'll also be backfeeding the local grid - that's illegal, pure and simple.
There's no point in going into more details, as I've seen these kind of threads on numerous forums over the years. There's no telling folk, as they are "all" experts.

I've supplied and installed a number of generator solutions, mainly to farms but have done a few homes. I always install either an auto-changeover, or two stage manual changeover.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:thumb: SNAP

The reality is that today's generation have forgotten how to manage in times of harsh circumstances.

I remember powercuts when we were children, everyone managed. We had battery powered lights and candles. Dinner was cooked either over the coal fire or on the camping gas

As I'm the same age as you , my 50ths in January :whatthe: I too remember the 70s power cuts , I loved the novelty of it.

Daft as it seems Ralph put the socket on so we could hook up the MH when it's at home , properly.
I never thought to use it the other way. To put power into the house .
But if you've got it , why not. Plus we never use our genny when camping . Relying on solar Trojan etc.
So if we ever do have a power cut , we may as well use the genny to watch some tv and keep the fridges n freezers going. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There's nothing to debate - it's dangerous, and could land the person in Court.
To go to the basics:
- The person is backfeeding their electrical installation downstream of any protective devices.

incorrect.......you are backfeeding into the fuseboards busbar/din rail so any protective devices will still work as they should and as they will be an overload device they will work backwards if necessary.

- If the main isolator isn't opened, they'll also be backfeeding the local grid - that's illegal, pure and simple.

correct, but as pointed out already you will be trying to power many properties on that particular phase from the substation so in milliseconds the generator will fail.

There's no point in going into more details, as I've seen these kind of threads on numerous forums over the years. There's no telling folk, as they are "all" experts.

I've supplied and installed a number of generator solutions, mainly to farms but have done a few homes. I always install either an auto-changeover, or two stage manual changeover.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What happens if you have solar panels do they continue to put power back to the grid or your house, by the way we have a 15 kW generator , tractor powered, that just connects in to the main board with a changover switch but since 1999 when I finished milking have never been bothered to connect it , just waited till it comes on again although this last time when it was off for nearly a full day I was close to getting it out again.::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
good question re solar panels.

I dont have any hands on experience of domestic panels but I would expect them to supply power before the fusebox main switch so yes, even with the main switch turned off they would backfeed the grid albeit for a short time until the inverter overloaded trying to feed the whole street.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Just to reinforce the 'don't do it' lobby. You may think you will be afforded protection by your domestic circuit breakers/fuses. It's not going to happen. With a small generator, it may never achieve the fault current required to operate your house devices (RCD being the exception, if you have one fitted?). The only protection you can rely on should be on your genny.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Going back to my original question.what size /spec generator ?

I think I would just use the extension lead and run the few appliances that I needed

barry

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
sod that tilly lamps and little tea candle lamps bottle of wine logs on the fire fring pan on top of fire
and if that don't work van :thumb:
beer whisky fag's

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Going back to my original question.what size /spec generator ?

I think I would just use the extension lead and run the few appliances that I needed

barry
you would need to check the power rating of every item you would be connecting, such as fridge, freezer, tv etc etc and add them up. as you will know from the van, it soon mounts up and will soon overload a 1kw genny. i would say go with a 3kw which will provide for a modest sized home not including kettle, oven or electric heaters or other high current devices

personally ive got a 2kw honda generator that i have used in the past on my motorhome and charging electric scooters. this would manage to keep the freezers tv laptops router and a couple of low energy bulbs going easily. if power was going to be off for an extended period in winter I would rewire the boiler feed too. mind you, given the sensible advice given above, I would most likely connect up to the outside 16amp socket but i do know the risks and would take full precautions:ROFLMAO:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just to reinforce the 'don't do it' lobby. You may think you will be afforded protection by your domestic circuit breakers/fuses. It's not going to happen. With a small generator, it may never achieve the fault current required to operate your house devices (RCD being the exception, if you have one fitted?). The only protection you can rely on should be on your genny.

Also, how do you know about the Earthing thro the generator circuit ?

With an unexpected fault you could get many parts of your bonded exposed metalwork (if the bonding was incomplete) in the house raised to mains voltage which you'd only find out about the hard way when YOU made a path to a different earth.

Just use an extension lead and plug in the freezer and a couple of table lamps. Plugging in an item with delicate electronics like a computer or TV to a cheapo genny may do them terminal harm.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
good question re solar panels.

I dont have any hands on experience of domestic panels but I would expect them to supply power before the fusebox main switch so yes, even with the main switch turned off they would backfeed the grid albeit for a short time until the inverter overloaded trying to feed the whole street.

Our solar panels are connected between the meter and the consumer unit. When we are generating more power than we are using, it is backfed into the grid, we know this because the meter runs backwards....:Smile: and we get paid.

The downside is that if anyone works on the electrics in the house, they have to isolated the mains one end and the panels the other end.

I used to have a 2.5 Kva genny, we only used it a couple of times and then we ran a fused camping unit into the house and plugged what we could into it.
Now, if we should ever get an extended outage, for heat, we have a log burner and a small genny that will power fridge and freezer. We have Coleman lanterns, candles and torches, but, if all else fails, we have the van. That's the easiest option

Allan

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I know very little abut electric's but think I will go with the don't do it lobby just run yore jenny on extension Leeds frig freezer that it maybe a lamp or two
get some tilly lamps and make the best of it wine beer sex stay warm

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
People like Link Removed make a manual transfer switch which we have fitted. Nice and safe ....

Because we work from home we use a Link Removed which will easily give 5KW and runs off LPG so it can be run off the motor home BBQ point :Smile: ! Enough for most things except maybe the cooker.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back