Campaign against parking restrictions (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know if people have seen this? Broken Link Removed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Looks like he is concerned about the manufacturers but shows little regard for the sites dotted around the country who pay rates and taxes and rely on campers staying overnight for their living. Looks like another non-starter to me.:RollEyes:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Looks like he is concerned about the manufacturers but shows little regard for the sites dotted around the country who pay rates and taxes and rely on campers staying overnight for their living. Looks like another non-starter to me.:RollEyes:

See your point, however, as the sites you mention hike up their prices, then expect a lot more free camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was another Broken Link Removed posted earlier. Andy Strangeways did a very good job of challenging the legality of the signs in Scotland.

He appears to have gone wrong in regards to Scarborough though. As posted on the other thread, the TROs which are now in place have been properly passed.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am a campsite owner, my trade comes from being competive not backing local authority campaigns to stop wilding. Caravans and tenters tend to use sites, motorhomes are most of the time self sufficient. I'm getting a little tired of seeing site owners blamed for the introduction of no overnighting signs any site that has reasonable rates will get business. Anyone who thinks they can earn a living from a CL restricted to 5 vans is bound to be charging too much.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
maybe beater to start a campaign against the blue badge holders who abuse the use of there privilege to camp for weeks without supporting the local authority's that's watt pees me off.
If I want to camp stay over for the night I have to pay parking fees.
I do under stand that persons with disability need parking conisations to make it easer to gene asses to shops EXT.
But if sleeping over night not to take the p.....s
Ase it screws it up for others
So today I start the campaign against blue badge holders taking the piss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Lets face it Motorhomes are not welcome in the UK ( where's the aeries) you only have to look at EUROPE to see the difference:Sad: the majority of public car parks, Council run or NCL have their barriers set to 2.2 meters they say its to stop the traveler's well they have plenty of travelers in Europe BUT there is a zero tolerance to them occupying such :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Lets face it Motorhomes are not welcome in the UK ( where's the aeries) you only have to look at EUROPE to see the difference:Sad: the majority of public car parks, Council run or NCL have their barriers set to 2.2 meters they say its to stop the traveler's well they have plenty of travelers in Europe BUT there is a zero tolerance to them occupying such :Angry:

Wrong!!
Of almost 400 councils outside Greater London only about 80 have no off-street parking for motorhomes.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
maybe beater to start a campaign against the blue badge holders who abuse the use of there privilege to camp for weeks without supporting the local authority's that's watt pees me off.
I do under stand that persons with disability need parking conisations to make it easer to gene asses to shops EXT.

I have never been to a wildcamping location that I can't use because its full of blue badge holders. The law permits them to park so I suggest you lobby your MP.
At the St annes motorhome parking area blue badges are time limited so they c as not park free overnight.

At Scarborough there are thousands of emptyp arking spaces overnight. They couldn't be filled if every blue badge holder in North Yorkshire parked there. Besides that parking is free of charge during the night, blue badge or not.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

I have never been to a wildcamping location that I can't use because its full of blue badge holders. The law permits them to park so I suggest you lobby your MP.
At the St Cannes motorhome parking area blue badges are time limited so they can not park free overnight.

At Scarborough there are thousands of emptyp arking spaces overnight. They couldn't be filled if every blue badge holder in North Yorkshire parked there.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Scarborough restrictions are nothing to do with blue badges but with abuse and long standing planning policy. Well documented on previous threads on here and elsewhere.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Please look at the link in my first post. Read it and understand what Andy is trying to do.
There has been lots of posts across motorhome forums on the Scarborough ban and the facts why there is no good reason for it.

You can subscribe to Andy's blog and receive updates.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Please look at the link in my first post. Read it and understand what Andy is trying to do.
There has been lots of posts across motorhome forums on the Scarborough ban and the facts why there is no good reason for it.

You can subscribe to Andy's blog and receive updates.

I think there have been a lot of posts across motorhome forums expressing opinions on why there is no good reason for the Scarborough ban :Smile:

The facts are published by the council Link Removed - FoI response I received from them. Note the end of the last sentence "[HI]applicants who have been unsuccessful in gaining consent for sites in the past may view the Council as being inconsistent were it to pursue this option itself.[/HI]"

However much we might not like it, the council would have been laying itself open to costly legal challenges if it had treated itself differently from private sector applicants - and that would not have been in the public interest.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If Fylde council can permit overnight parking on carparks then so can others.

I totally agree, all things being equal that is so.

In Scarborough's case, though, as clearly explained in the council's report, there has been a long standing planning policy of not allowing camp sites within certain areas round town centres within the Borough of Scarborough. Several private sector applicants for licences have been turned down over the years. As I said earlier, however much we might not like it, the council would have been laying itself open to costly legal challenges if it had treated itself differently from private sector applicants - and that would not have been in the public interest.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Wrong!!
Of almost 400 councils outside Greater London only about 80 have no off-street parking for motorhomes.

well perhaps you may care to try and park your MH in and around Brighton, Worthing Littlehampton, Bognor Regis, Horsham :RollEyes:I could go on.............

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I totally agree, all things being equal that is so.

In Scarborough's case, though, as clearly explained in the council's report, there has been a long standing planning policy of not allowing camp sites within certain areas round town centres within the Borough of Scarborough. Several private sector applicants for licences have been turned down over the years. As I said earlier, however much we might not like it, the council would have been laying itself open to costly legal challenges if it had treated itself differently from private sector applicants - and that would not have been in the public interest.
Possibly because certain councillors have interest in caravan sites.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Possibly because certain councillors have interest in caravan sites.

I believe that there is one councillor who has a caravan site (between Scarborough and Filey? Pappajohn may be able to tell us) so that doesn't explain why the policy is borough wide and has been for years - unless somebody has evidence of corruption of course.

We have to face it that many people do not like motorhomers camping (as they see it) overnight on streets or in car parks. The only way to overcome that is to persuade them that there are advantages to allowing it, not whinging just because it is not allowed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back