Internet flaw could let hackers take over the Web (1 Viewer)

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Have a look at Link Removed to see what's happening, I've just about had a nervous breakdown this morning.:Eeek::Eeek:

Don

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Have a look at Link Removed to see what's happening, I've just about had a nervous breakdown this morning.:Eeek::Eeek:

Don

:Eeek: Sod's Law. My Laptop was just in the process of doing a Windows update. Cancelled it for now. But I think the problem may be down to the Firewall. :winky:

The updates are a waste of time and space anyway. There are better ways of keeping PC's safe while using Windows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Don

I had the problem of not being able to connect to the Internet on this machine this morning after the restart following the latest Windows update. After eliminating things like modem and router falling over I checked to see if my Vista laptop was OK. It was so I did a system restore on this machine and have been OK since.

I assumed that Microsoft had released an update with a bug in it - and will take great care in installing updates for the next few days.

Graham

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I had the problem of not being able to connect to the Internet on this machine this morning after the restart following the latest Windows update. After eliminating things like modem and router falling over I checked to see if my Vista laptop was OK. It was so I did a system restore on this machine and have been OK since.

I assumed that Microsoft had released an update with a bug in it - and will take great care in installing updates for the next few days.

Graham

I had the same problem with my lappy today Graham, system restore fixed it (I'm running XP).
The update reminder has come up on the main PC, I daren't install them.......how do I go about stopping them uploading automatically when I shut it down tonight?

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi Linda. Do this:-

Start
Control Panel
Automatic Updates
Tick - Turn Off Automatic Updates.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just been looking around to see if I can find any news about the problem caused by the update. On the BBC web site HERE, the last paragraph of the story is "Some readers have contacted the BBC saying that applying Microsoft patch had caused problems with their PC. However, a Microsoft spokesman said its call centre staff had not seen any calls about such problems."

I've sent a message to Microsoft, through the feedback facility on the MS Update page, telling them I had the problem

I think we'll continue to allow updates to run - but only on one machine at a time - and then check that Internet access is available straight away. At least we know that the problem can be reversed by a simple System Restore.

Graham

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Those suffering the worst problems are those using a Zone Alam firewall (free and paid). Zone Alarm have recommended that you remove the latest Windows update KB951748. A fix should be available soon. You can keep up to date with the situation through the Zone Alarm firewall.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Those suffering the worst problems are those using a Zone Alam firewall (free and paid). Zone Alarm have recommended that you remove the latest Windows update KB951748. A fix should be available soon. You can keep up to date with the situation through the Zone Alarm firewall.

Thanks - I do have Zone Alarm on this machine so that is probably the explanation. Details of workaround fixes on the ZA web site HERE.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back