Fridge Vent Covers - An Idea. (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Came up with this Idea after finding my fridge vent covers had deformed and thought I would share with you as it's simple to do and as cheap as chips.

Ease of vent covers, turn over and cut two small holes in mesh for bungee cord to pass through. Cut of one end of bungee cord, feed through hole and back through vent before putting hook back on and tying knot. see first photograph.

Refit vent covers and just about done. This is now a permanent set up as in the second photograph.

Finally get some thin plastic sheet cut to size and slide underneath Bungee cords. Job done. I will be getting some 2 mm polypropylene sheet tomorrow , or similar which will cost about £3.00. The whole job costs under a £5.00. I bet you could also use cardboard if you were static.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 208
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
That would work, however be careful about covering the top vent as on a lot of fridges this is also the flue outlet for when running on gas.
I only ever put a cover on the lower vent.

My van came with two covers but I use the second one only on the oven vent, which otherwise lets in quite a draft if the winds in that direction.

A cover on the top vent could get quite warm, and possibly might be why yours have deformed.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I keep reading about DIY winter covers for fidge vents.

You all do understand the vents should still pass some air and are only partially covered, don't you?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I keep reading about DIY winter covers for fidge vents.

You all do understand the vents should still pass some air and are only partially covered, don't you?:Eeek:

Errrrr, No. Thought that only mattered if the fridge was in service??

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The manufacturer's winter covers are used when the fridge is in operation at ambient temperatures below about 8 degrees C. It allows proper refrigerant circulation and keeps the heating element warmer.
Keeping out the rain is a bonus feature!::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As your vents are on the side of the vehicle I'm not sure they will stay in place at speed if they are only 2mm thick. You may have to take them off when you move the vehicle any distance. But only one wa to find out! :Smile:

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That would work, however be careful about covering the top vent as on a lot of fridges this is also the flue outlet for when running on gas.
I only ever put a cover on the lower vent.

My van came with two covers but I use the second one only on the oven vent, which otherwise lets in quite a draft if the winds in that direction.

A cover on the top vent could get quite warm, and possibly might be why yours have deformed.

Understood! both my vent covers have cut-aways to let air in at the bottom and out at the top. As will the plastic sheet's when fitted.
The reason mine deformed is because I stored them in a bottom cupbord but they were resting on a heating duct. Thing is, this is where I've always stored them without mishap. I guess at some stage this year I must have turned the heating up a tad. I tried to straighten them by applying some controlled heat and made an arse of it.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As your vents are on the side of the vehicle I'm not sure they will stay in place at speed if they are only 2mm thick. You may have to take them off when you move the vehicle any distance. But only one wa to find out! :Smile:

I've thought about this too! my thinking is they will be fine as any split stream will be deflected over the plastic sheet by the vent frame edge which is slightly proud of the sheet.

However, will check it out via the wing mirror first time we set off with them fitted.

Will get the sheet tomorrow .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You could put them behind the existing vents.

That's how the Thetford ones fit.:thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
For the sake of the few quid it'll cost I think I'd buy some more.It won't be long before the slats at each end of the bungee give way,also being right next to the door ,every time someone comes to the van they'll see them and think your skint! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlaf

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
For the sake of the few quid it'll cost I think I'd buy some more.It won't be long before the slats at each end of the bungee give way,also being right next to the door ,every time someone comes to the van they'll see them and think your skint! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlaf

Thank you for your generous offer but I'll stick with my plan at the moment. If It doesn't pan out I'll let you know.

Not really bothered if people think I'm skint! You know what they say! Men with daughters will always be poor. 2 daughters, 3 granddaughters and of course the boss.

Merry Christmas.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It's not just that either. Those STUPID plastic screws that are supposed to locate by half turning, get brittle and break after just one winter. Really bad idea.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The finished article.
I purchased some corrugated plastic sheeting, light, strong, waterproof, easy to cut, sits flush with vent and above all else cheap.

3 panels cut to size cost me £5.00 would have been cheaper if i cut it myself.

So Total cost £7.99 and I have 6 Bungee cords and two spare vent covers.

The E -bay one for my motorhome would have cost £30.00 each.

I'm chuffed !

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 20

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I leave the covers on mine through the winter, it is used nearly every day, and when washing the van as per instructions, , the whole of the vent is not covered, these covers came with the van, the same as on my first van, cannot see the point of taking them off when going on a journey, it would be like, on/off/on/off. blow that for a lark. didn`t have any problems with my last MH.

Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back