Mice in the van (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Went to check the van on Friday as it's in storage. Mice droppings everywhere. Fetched it home and set a trap. Bingo, caught one! We spent Saturday morning cleaning it out from top to bottom, took everything out, scrubbed and vacuumed everything. It looks brand new now.

Then we heard another one scuttling along the roof lining.
Bugger!
Set three traps now and have ordered a sonic repeller due to come Tuesday.
Let's hope that they work.

Benno

Free Member
Nov 23, 2013
Grainthorpe
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie ex caravanner
Mice in van

Hi
We had a similar problem and bought a sonic reseller
We still had mice so I rang the guy we bought it from and he said we must have deaf mice!!
Got a cat:):ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are doing the right thing, traps are better that poison, you don't want them dieing in the roof lining, make sure there is nothing to eat except what is in your traps and you should catch them all.

Best of luck with the repeller, I've heard mixed reports about them, I would leave at least half a dozen traps set inside a van devoid of food. However make sure there is not a source of food near your van, some farm storage areas are over-run, they eat outside and use your van as a nice warm house. Best of luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think we caught 6 before our van was clear.

Good luck

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Check everything as the little devils chew through wires and cupboards.
A friend of mine stored in a barn and they chewed through seat belts, cupboards, and weed as they had nested in the mattress in the Luton. So much had to be thrown away as the smell was awful. :cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Check everything as the little devils chew through wires and cupboards.
A friend of mine stored in a barn and they chewed through seat belts, cupboards[HI], and weed [/HI]as they had nested in the mattress in the Luton. So much had to be thrown away as the smell was awful. :cry:

That is awful.. stoned mice running round after eating all their weed.. Man that is a bummer..

And thinking further,, once they ate all the weed they would get the munchies and want to eat even MORE stuff :whatthe:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
That is awful.. stoned mice running round after eating all their weed.. Man that is a bummer..

And thinking further,, once they ate all the weed they would get the munchies and want to eat even MORE stuff :whatthe:

Try leaving some wild mint around (and NO, that's not an angry Murry Mints) they don't like that, and I don't think ants or flies are to keen on it,

Anyway, if it doesn't work the place will smell nice:Smile:and its good at hiding the aroma of weed:thumb:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If there is any area not to store your pride and joy it's on farm land near or in a barn or anywhere where there are chickens or animal food storage areas. Farms and small holdings always have rats and mice.

braunston2

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

Had a similar problem, we did buy one of those electronic things but not sure if it works or not,.

What we did read up on was using peppermint Oil, all we do is use those round cotton wool pads that come in a long tube, you just peel off the thickness you want then put it into an old small mince pipe foil container, then sprinkle a few drops of Peppermint oil onto the cotton wool pad and strategically place a few of them around the inside of the motorhome, and so far over the last 6 months, no more mice ?

You can purchase the Peppermint oil on ebay, about £8/9 for 100ml and so far we have only used a very very small amount, the 100ml will last a lifetime at this rate

Hope that helps

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If all else fails, you can always buy a shotgun, however, there are certain drawbacks you should be aware of...........::bigsmile:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Frankly by the time the are in the van it is to late damage will be being done. You must put poision on the outside of the van to kill them before they get in

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Frankly by the time the are in the van it is to late damage will be being done. You must put poision on the outside of the van to kill them before they get in

Or better still, a sign!!

Attachments

• FreeMouse_zps2271aa8c.jpg
    FreeMouse_zps2271aa8c.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 55

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have a bait box permanently taped inside the engine bay because I've had them nesting in there, and chewing on the cloth covering for the wiring loom. Grassy storage areas can be a problem. I suspect wide tarmac or gravel storage areas are less rodent prone as they won't normally wander out of natural cover due to predators.

They climb up the front wheels. I've tried inventing a smooth climb-proof barrier from a bottomless shallow stacker box which I then fix around the tyres but I'm not sure how successful it was. I'm sure there's money waiting for anyone who patents a workable device like that.

I recovered three mouse corpses from our habitation area this year, two trapped in the foot wells and one in the remains of a tea towel in a bottom cupboard. Basically don't leave any food or nesting material within reach of the floor. I'm pretty certain they came in from the engine bay through the fabric lining below the passenger side glove compartment, which might explain why they couldn't get out again. As others have said, traps kill them quickly and keep the corpses handy for disposal, but if there's more mice than traps you have a problem. Consider putting bait down as well to mop up any extra mice.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
the problem with the bate on the outside they then crawl in to your van I die

yeah ...but from memory mice can carry a lot of pathogens and pee almost constantly, so which to go for? A dead mouse or an eventually trapped one or worse, less traps than mice and pathogen pee over your soft furnishings as well as everything else :Eeek:

Poison outside/traps/poison inside ? But dont forget with poison you are introducing it into the food chain, which may include a farm cat ? In any case keep the posion well topped up also, its suprising how much even a few mice can eat. :Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can I just confirm it is these sweet, little creatures you are talking about?

images
:winky::winky::winky::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Had no further droppings in the van, despite leaving the trap on the driver's seat where the droppings were found.........nothing!
Had loads in Margaret's workshop though, despite the sonic "plug-in", so I would reckon they are totally useless:Angry: They've been running riot in the garage/workshop over the last week or so, set the trap, it had gone off but nothing in it but a little note saying, "We're not daft!":ROFLMAO::Tongue1:
It's impossible to put bait outside the van as there's too much ground area, we're surrounded by fields, one mouse even ran under the van the other night when I went out to check it.

Bill:Sad:

Last edited:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Can I just confirm it is these sweet, little creatures you are talking about?

images
:winky::winky::winky::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Afraid it is.

These little darlings got in my last van and left a trail of destruction as well as an incredible stink from the wee and poo.

I have nothing against mice, but if they do not invade my space I will stay out of theirs.

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We had them last summer after a stay on a farm cl stripped van set traps but caught nothing so after 4 weeks thought they had gone. Van went into get a 12v socket fitted as we had moved the TV and when they took back of cupboard out ran a mouse. Fitter said they run round the ducting in the walls for the cables and pipes. They stripped out the toilet cassette and found the nest with enough food for MONTHS !!!! Cleaned it out sealed up what we could and that seemed to do the trick. As for the mouse ??? Gone where all good mice go I assume

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Is there a way of knowing they are in the ducting and walls BEFORE they do any damage ... do you hear them or what?:Sad:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We reckon that they had been in the van when we were using it an heard nothing it was the smell in the toilet that1st made us wonder if we had mice.then van was parked up for a couple of weeks and then the mouse droppings appeared so sorry to say I don't think you can tell if they are in the ducting

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is there a way of knowing they are in the ducting and walls BEFORE they do any damage ... do you hear them or what?:Sad:

Yes, but you have to be very quite. If they are wood mice, you can hear them sawing logs up for their little mouse fires. However, If you hear digging noises, then that's field mice at work.
Harvest mice, on the other hand, can be heard singing 'They Plough The Fields and Scatter.....', whilst the yellow necked mice, who are a bit 'arty', can be heard rehearsing 'The Taming Of The Shrew'.

You see, you learn so much on here........:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes, but you have to be very quite. If they are wood mice, you can hear them sawing logs up for their little mouse fires. However, If you hear digging noises, then that's field mice at work.
Harvest mice, on the other hand, can be heard singing 'They Plough The Fields and Scatter.....', whilst the yellow necked mice, who are a bit 'arty', can be heard rehearsing 'The Taming Of The Shrew'.

Rat's not funny!:ROFLMAO::winky:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Yes ..... like who's a banker. :winky:x

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The Range have small lavendar sachets ... 20 for £3.99 and last 3 months .. according to the box.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Been reading this thread about mice in the moho,and when we have laid up our's for a while we use white pepper and it seems to keep the little beggars at bay,have used this method for some years now, and it seems to work , so thats our christmas tip for you all, Happy christmas Alf and M,:thumb: PS And No its not a joke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back