LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First action is to reduce the choices to those models which can actually be fitted. For instance, is there a fridge or other appliance in the way which prevents the device being fitted to the wall.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I fitted four of these locks to the MH this year and very pleased with results,
You can see at a glance that they are locked, very robust and well made,
Would highly recommend them, just a satisfied user,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I fitted a Fiamma.. It is 'ok' but thats all I will say.

I have no experience on the Milenco locks but on the whole Fiamma is lower end of the spectrum and Milenco upper end.. Every product we have bought from Milenco has been very good, pretty much everything from Fiamma has at best been adequate

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Aren't the locks on the hab door a bit pointless as the easier access would be through the cab driver or passenger doors?

No not really, the habitation door is as often used as the cab doors because its normally so easy to open. You can open it with a screwdriver quicker than with a key.

Yes the acrylic windows might be a weak point but its very rare for a burglary to be effected through one, if they are going to break a window then its normally the quarterlight.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
First action is to reduce the choices to those models which can actually be fitted. For instance, is there a fridge or other appliance in the way which prevents the device being fitted to the wall.

Both brands do adaptor kits to enable the locks to be screwed to the door frame instead of having to drill through walls.

Edit - sorry, the kits are for the fold-over handle type lock, both make specific locks for frame fitting

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Both brands do adaptor kits to enable the locks to be screwed to the door frame instead of having to drill through walls.

Edit - sorry, the kits are for the fold-over handle type lock, both make specific locks for frame fitting

Link Removed

Link Removed

Thanks. I quite like the look of that Milenco one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Whatever you fit do not do anything that will prevent you getting out or emergency services getting in the event of fire or accident.

We did have a member that locked themselves in by leaning out of a window and setting one of these locks.

Last edited:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got a Fiamma one as others say it is adequate I haven`t suffered a break in fortunately:Smile::Smile::thumb::thumb::thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I fitted a Milenco one.
Fitted it meself and broke nowt!
Easy to fit, two bolts screwed into the door frame.
They can be locked in the "open" position, needing the key to re open them.
That being the case, as long as the lock button is pressed when it's opened there is no danger of locking yourself in.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Bought and fitted Fiamma safe door locks to garage doors, well pleased. Managed to purchase a pack of 3 on an Ebay auction for £75 so I have a spare but more importantly all 3 locks are the same key.:thumb:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I've just bought one of these off eBay I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives.:Smile:
Item 111238150704

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Link Removed

Might not be enough space on the inside of a Rapido to fit this

Mel

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They can be locked in the "open" position, needing the key to re open them.

That is excellent.

We've got the Fiamma one an outside locker ( because I found it open one day, probably me not shutting it properly ) and that can't be locked open, so on the hab door some wag could easily just rotate it for fun and lock you in. It is years old now and works just like new.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Meor, We have a thule that I think is very good but surprisingly it has Milenco stamped inside!
Cheers
Bernie

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I fitted four of these locks to the MH this year and very pleased with results,
You can see at a glance that they are locked, very robust and well made,
Would highly recommend them, just a satisfied user,

Very nice piece of kit, where did you obtain them please?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes they are the same.
I had milenco on my caravan
I presume Milenco is another firm thats now in the hands of giants.

Mel

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What about fitting an Abus deadlock - visually much less intrusive and it does not signal whether you are in or out as the external Fiamma type does (i.e. if it is in the unlocked position - you are inside, but when it is closed, the motorhome is empty).

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Very nice piece of kit, where did you obtain them please?

Got them direct from France with a money transfer, there is a English translation and order form and a video on how to fit,

The main hab lock can be locked outside with a key and inside with a positive lever that needs pulling towards you before rotating,

The other drivers door is locked on the inside only with no key,
Both of the garage doors are slide and lock with the same key for all locks:Smile:
IMHO money well spent.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As good as all these locks are, and yes they offer some measure of protection, are you not fitting them to thin aluminum, board and insulation. I once fitted one to a caravan door and having done so, thought that it was a waste of time. Nothing a good Jemmy won't see off in a few seconds. :whatthe:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As good as all these locks are, and yes they offer some measure of protection, are you not fitting them to thin aluminum, board and insulation. I once fitted one to a caravan door and having done so, thought that it was a waste of time. Nothing a good Jemmy won't see off in a few seconds. :whatthe:

For me the main purpose of these is security when I am inside at night. Many motorhome door frames are reasonably stoutly made and anyone attempting to jemmy one of the interior locking type would wake me up with the noise.

In the case of unoccupied caravans/motorhomes and occupied ones I suspect a baddy will always pick the easiest to break in to, anything that will make mine look more secure than the next one is good for me and that works whether I am inside or not.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
When we got our MH it had 4 keys with it that appear to be Fiamma, but there is nothing on the MH that they fit and no holes anywhere where locks or anything has been removed.
I wrote to the previous owner enclosing a SAE asking about the keys but never received a reply :Sad:

Its a mystery :Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nothing a good Jemmy won't see off in a few seconds. :whatthe:

All security has a huge element of bluff. Mr Burglar does not know if you have installed a sheet of steel plate behind that lock. He does know you see the risk and have done something about it. You've improved your chances of survival a lot.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we got our MH it had 4 keys with it that appear to be Fiamma, but there is nothing on the MH that they fit and no holes anywhere where locks or anything has been removed.
I wrote to the previous owner enclosing a SAE asking about the keys but never received a reply :Sad:

Its a mystery :Sad:

Do Fiamma do wheel clamps? or could they be related to a bike rack maybe if you have one?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Like other posts on here I would be worried about how easily they can be broken off, particularly if badly fitted

On the question of fitting, anything that involves puncturing the outer skin worries me and would certainly make me look really closely and damp check before buying a used one, these products are too easily bought and fitted by enthusiastic amateurs

Personally I don't think they look very nice either, particularly on non white MH's

I do appreciate people are concerned about safety and security but as on other posts recently it seems that if someone wants to get in they will

I am lucky and have one of the fancy Habitation doors that I can't think of its name now, I hope the locks on those are better than others, probably another false hope :Doh:

Best advice I have read recently is leaving dog bowls outside MH at night, not thought of that but will be buying a spare set for about £4, nice big ones!! could be the best security investment I make

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
bowl

Like other posts on here I would be worried about how easily they can be broken off, particularly if badly fitted

On the question of fitting, anything that involves puncturing the outer skin worries me and would certainly make me look really closely and damp check before buying a used one, these products are too easily bought and fitted by enthusiastic amateurs

Personally I don't think they look very nice either, particularly on non white MH's

I do appreciate people are concerned about safety and security but as on other posts recently it seems that if someone wants to get in they will

I am lucky and have one of the fancy Habitation doors that I can't think of its name now, I hope the locks on those are better than others, probably another false hope :Doh:

Best advice I have read recently is leaving dog bowls outside MH at night, not thought of that but will be buying a spare set for about £4, nice big ones!! could be the best security investment I make

I leave a big dog bowl and a large bone outside, my wife says I should also get a false hand from a joke shop!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Recently bought a Milenco door frame lock & some Fiamma ones & much prefer the Fiamma locks. The Milenco was more heavy than necessary & had a poor paint finish whereas the Fiamma one was much lighter with a good paint finish & looked better. Both lock open as well as in the locking position. Bit disappointed in Milenco as most of their products are excellent design & quality. Still looking for a solution to an additional lock that locks from inside for the habitation door which doesn't hinder getting out quickly in an emergency. The Thule lock which can be turned from inside looks good but no space to fit it on our compact motorhome. Have some diy ideas but not sure how to make them reality! Any Funsters have any ideas?

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Do Fiamma do wheel clamps? or could they be related to a bike rack maybe if you have one?

No bike rack and the MH is transit based with twin rear wheels so i don't think wheel clamps.

Its baffled me since we got it :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back